maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hurricane Season 2018
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Mexico Beach and Tyndall AFB just crushed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:51 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 720
jack t ripper wrote:
Mexico Beach and Tyndall AFB just crushed

Michael was 2 mph short of category 5 on landfall.

Pretty strong wind. :shock:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:38 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16336
Yeah looks pretty catastrophic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:41 am 
Sergeant Major

Who wants to bet the Florida panhandle will not be without power in 10 months?

Is that because Trump likes rednecks but not Puerto Ricans? No. It's because PR had a shitty electrical infrastructure after decades of Puerto Ricans being in charge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:24 am 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
Who wants to bet the Florida panhandle will not be without power in 10 months?

Is that because Trump likes rednecks but not Puerto Ricans? No. It's because PR had a shitty electrical infrastructure after decades of Puerto Ricans being in charge.

I suspect having the Florida Panhandle up and running in significantly less time than Puerto Rico will be because none of the mayors(local leaders) are her:

;)

-----------

In 2004, 3 major hurricanes crossed Polk County, FL over a period of roughly 6 weeks (it was a major hurricane every other weekend):

Quote:
Category 4 hurricane (SSHWS)
Hurricane Charley
Duration August 9 – August 14
Peak intensity 150 mph (240 km/h) (1-min) 941 mbar (hPa)

Quote:
Category 4 hurricane (SSHWS)
Hurricane Frances
Duration August 24 – September 8
Peak intensity 145 mph (230 km/h) (1-min) 935 mbar (hPa)

Quote:
Category 3 hurricane (SSHWS)
Hurricane Jeanne
Duration September 13 – September 28
Peak intensity 120 mph (195 km/h) (1-min) 950 mbar (hPa)

It's my recollection that there were areas in Polk County that were without power for between 4-6 weeks.

Most of the time, the power companies in Florida will have power up in significantly less time than that.
There is a cooperative plan between Florida power companies and power companies in other states across the country to help each other out in situations like this.
They pre-position crews and resources BEFORE the storm even impacts and are therefore able to respond fairly quickly once the storm has passed.

The cumulative effect of 3 such major storms over such a short time however slowed the process down as repair crews were having to go back over areas that they had just recently finished restoring power.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:31 am 
Sergeant Major

This article has some videos and photos that provide a sense of the damage this storm has wrought:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... egion.html

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:50 am 
Sergeant Major

My wife's family has property on St. George Island which is just a bit southeast of Mexico City Beach. One of the few families left who still had insurance I reckon. Hopefully she can talk her sister into the sense of just cashing in and selling the land.

We never had this problem in the Ozarks.

Seems to me some European traditions have NOT served well over here on the Western, i.e., stormy side, of the Atlantic. Wanna live in a quaint coastal village? Try southern France or maybe northern Spain = no hurricanes to speak of. In the ~500 years since Euros have been building coastal towns in the New World, but especially during the past ~100 years since the rise of a consumer class with more money than sense: think of the vast quantities of money and emotion destroyed when coastal communities have been hammered by these things . . . Course its no different anywhere else: people still build in 100 or 500 year flood plains like it was safe as 1500ft ASL hillside.

I mean yeah: I feel definite sympathy for the PEOPLE who have been hoodwinked by these traditions. Its the TRADITIONS I'm talking about here. There is a time to set stupid traditions to rest for good: STOP BUILDING IN NATURAL DISASTER ZONES.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:58 am 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
My wife's family has property on St. George Island which is just a bit southeast of Mexico City Beach. One of the few families left who still had insurance I reckon. Hopefully she can talk her sister into the sense of just cashing in and selling the land.

We never had this problem in the Ozarks.

Seems to me some European traditions have NOT served well over here on the Western, i.e., stormy side, of the Atlantic. Wanna live in a quaint coastal village? Try southern France or maybe northern Spain = no hurricanes to speak of. In the ~500 years since Euros have been building coastal towns in the New World, but especially during the past ~100 years since the rise of a consumer class with more money than sense: think of the vast quantities of money and emotion destroyed when coastal communities have been hammered by these things . . . Course its no different anywhere else: people still build in 100 or 500 year flood plains like it was safe as 1500ft ASL hillside.

I mean yeah: I feel definite sympathy for the PEOPLE who have been hoodwinked by these traditions. Its the TRADITIONS I'm talking about here. There is a time to set stupid traditions to rest for good: STOP BUILDING IN NATURAL DISASTER ZONES.

Quote:
STOP BUILDING IN NATURAL DISASTER ZONES.

Yes, Florida and the Gulf states are prone to hurricanes.....but it isn't as if other regions of the country don't have their own version of natural disasters:

Tornado Alley:

Earthquake alley:

Here is River Grove, a near west suburb of Chicago along the Des Plaines River.
They have flooding like this ever 3-5 years or so

Add in the large flooding that you see along the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers every decade or so....you are talking about large areas of the country that are prone to natural disasters of one sort or another.

Island Homes During Mississippi River Flooding

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

Yes: stop building in Natural disaster zones!

Note: "natural disaster zone" is a probabilistic concept, not a boolean one. Some spots on Earth have higher periodic probability of being impacted by disasters than others. Determine the sensible threshold and stop building in places below it.

ADDIT: for example even within "Florida" there are regions which (for various reasons) seem to have been relatively safe from hurricanes over the historical period. I'm not sure, but as far as I know: Tallahassee, St. Petersburg, probably plenty of other more inland towns have rarely been impacted by hurricanes.

Certainly building a town RIGHT on the coastline in a hurricane risk region doesn't seem like the smartest idea.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/cap ... ab1ad62e08

Last edited by Anthropoid on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:13 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
Yes: stop building in Natural disaster zones!

Note: "natural disaster zone" is a probabilistic concept, not a boolean one. Some spots on Earth have higher periodic probability of being impacted by disasters than others. Determine the sensible threshold and stop building in places below it.

So, after looking at the various maps you'd be able to build in Wisconsin, Michigan, and the north east states.
Good luck cramming 330 million people into that area.

You would still have some people who would have to live in some of these areas...Tornado Alley encompasses your corn, wheat, soybean producing areas of the country.

Quote:
The Central Valley (of California) is one of the world's most productive agricultural regions.[5] More than 230 crops are grown there.[5] On less than 1 percent of the total farmland in the United States, the Central Valley produces 8 percent of the nation's agricultural output by value: $43.5 billion USD in 2013.[38] Its agricultural productivity relies on irrigation from both surface water diversions and groundwater pumping from wells. About one-sixth of the irrigated land in the U.S. is in the Central Valley.[39]

Virtually all non-tropical crops are grown in the Central Valley, which is the primary source for a number of food products throughout the United States, including tomatoes, almonds, grapes, cotton, apricots, and asparagus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_V ... California)#Agriculture

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next