maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hurricane Season 2018
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:26 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
jack t ripper wrote:

Check out "Frying Pan Tower" cam before the sun goes down. It's pretty impressive

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:49 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228
chijohnaok wrote:
{Snip}

Is she going to sue?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:08 am 
Sergeant Major

The storm surge has shrunk from the high-end original estimates because the thing is Cat 1 on landfall. This is a good thing but it is still going to bring a lot of rain.

Meanwhile CNN manages to do anti-Trump stories with Lemonhead standing out in the rain in NC.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:44 am 
Sergeant Major

Here is the "Excess Mortality Study" for Puerto Rico. Note that the study period is for SIX MONTHS AFTER THE HURRICANE.

https://publichealth.gwu.edu/sites/defa ... 20Rico.pdf

This is valid time interval as an epidemiological study but it is NOT how the public or the media or even past estimates work. Neither does it say the Puerto Rico government was lying about the "death toll" because the two figures are describing two different data sets. The Puerto Rico government was utilizing reports of immediate deaths from law enforcement and hospitals......crushed by tree, drowning, electrocution, impaled by flying telephone pole etc. The "Excess Mortality Study" includes ALL CAUSES OF DEATH in excess of those expected based on past data during the study period. This might be asthma attacks, maternal mortality, motor vehicle accidents, heart attacks, strokes...etc. One major assumption in the study is the outmigration after the hurricane. Doubtless this occurred and affected the denominator in the study but this was some major guesswork. The authors estimated 10% of the population left but they did not account for the demographics of the departees. Quite likely, the younger people left and the older folks stayed. This would skew the study, of course.

Puerto Rico was close to a shithole BEFORE the hurricane. They were in a permanent state of impending bankruptcy with near Mexican level graft at all levels of government and near-Mexican level infrastructure quality. Then they get smashed by two big-ass hurricanes and there is outrage that the electricity is not back on in 5 days. The mayor of San Juan is a self-serving political hack more interested in blaming the Federal government and Trump than doing her job. Blaming the President for hurricanes is a proven strategy since W..except it isn't applied evenly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:59 pm 
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth

Reputation points: 16218
Everybody in NC is doomed! We're all going to die. As always, black people will suffer most. ICE agents are hiding the thousands of dead bodies for Trumpf.

And of course, NC highway 12 has been completely destroyed again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:33 pm 
Sergeant Major

doggie wrote:
Everybody in NC is doomed! We're all going to die. As always, black people will suffer most. ICE agents are hiding the thousands of dead bodies for Trumpf.

And of course, NC highway 12 has been completely destroyed again.

:lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

10 1/2 foot surge in New Bern, NC...up a river/estuary

The NWS/FEMA predicted this within 6 inches of the maximal flood "up to 11 feet". they published an interactive map showing people EXACTLY where the flooding would be and they STILL had to send rescuers out in bad weather to rescue 150 people from roofs and attics. The city government knew the risk and warned everyone and the idiots just won't listen. They all sound like future Darwin Award winners to me.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/ma ... -the-worst

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:39 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 720
Seems that Florence was a dud. And not raining like Harvey. Good. :D

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:47 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8527
And now from the Weather Channel:

The question is... can you trust anybody nowadays in reporting?

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

Lava wrote:
And now from the Weather Channel:

The question is... can you trust anybody nowadays in reporting?

The Weather Channel doubled down in an attempt to defend their reporter:

Quote:
In a statement to BuzzFeed News, the Weather Channel defended Seidel’s coverage, saying that he was standing on wet grass and was “undoubtedly exhausted.”
“It’s important to note that the two individuals in the background are walking on concrete, and Mike Seidel is trying to maintain his footing on wet grass, after reporting on-air until 1:00 a.m. ET this morning and is undoubtedly exhausted,” the network said.

And others attempted to defend the reporter, joking that the wind was much weaker just a few feet away.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ta ... rter-being

Which of course then begs the question: "If the footing is less sturdy in the grass than on the concrete, then why doesn't the reporter stand on the concrete?"

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next