maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: polarity?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:17 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18257
Trying to reckon which wire goes to red. Google. W/ alternating current positive and negative polarity, uh alternates, doesn't seem to matter. W/ direct current it matters obviously. Or maybe we just got lucky. Learn something every day.

Which wire to cut on a ticking bomb prolly the green one maybe?

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: polarity?
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:29 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Red or colored is always positive. Black is negative/ground.

I had always seen positive marked as red on big batteries, equipment, etc, but after fixing & building computers for many years it's not always the case.

Specifically when it comes to all the small computer case wires (Power switch, Pw Reset, Hard drive light, etc). Have seen those colored everything from green to blue to orange for positive, but the negatives were always a uniform black or white. Dunno why they don't also color those positive wires red *shrug*.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:19 pm 
Sergeant Major

Green is ground even idiots can figure that out although it was a close run thing ;)

The device had red/black wires coming out. The wires going in are bofe grey that left us scratching our heads and googling.

I don't think we got lucky. The website I read stated the currents alternate so it doesn't matter and I believe everything I read on the Internet.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:22 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8891
On a computer power and reset +/- is meaningless. It's just a switch. Reverse the wires and the switches still work just fine. You can turn your pc on by touching the tip of a screwdriver to both power pins on your motherboard. Disk activity LED does only work one way.
With speakers, it's up to you if you want to black to be positive or negative, just be consistent (I always wire speakers red=positive & black=negative).
It doesn't matter for individual guitar pickups. For multiple pickups you should wire them all the same way unless you want the pickups to be out of phase when more than one is selected.
PSA: Don't ever assume the "other guy" wired things correctly if dealing with dangerous levels electricity. That's why my experience is mostly limited to computers, guitar pickups and speakers. Call an electrician when it's life & death. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:21 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Modern AC outlets do have a safety device that prohibits the plug from being inserted "backwards" (One blade slot is larger than the other). Similarly, "modern" AC plugs have a matching asymmetry of the blades (or a 3 pronged "grounded" plug required by codes when water might be encountered mostly).

Even though it is true from a physics standpoint that AC current (Alternating Current) does alternately cycle in a sinusoidal curve, electricians still term one wire "hot" and one "common" and treat the plug as if it does have "polarity". This is because there are safety mechanisms designed into the system that are defeated by misconnecting the two wires (systems to limit arcing or shock). Misconnecting the wires is also against code.

Note, however, that old plugs still work no matter which way you plug them in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:35 am 
Sergeant Major

I think inexpensive testing devices would confirm if the "hot" wire is in the correct slot even without disassembling the outlet. I am pretty sure a water heater would always have a 3 pronged grounded plug so you can't get that wrong unless the OUTLET is miswired or the new water heater came with bare wires that had to literally be screwed into a power source???? Is it an electrical water heater?

I've always had gas water heaters. In that case there is a simple three-pronged plug for the igniter.

one of the best Mythbusters is when they welded the Pressure Relief Valves shut on a water heater and cranked up the heat source. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:38 am 
Sergeant Major

:lol: Sound effects are awesome

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

W/ computer it prolly matters that even alt current alts at the same time fru all the components. i dunno

Lost water pressure and freaked out b/c this seems to be a very fundamental problem w/ the house. Checked the main nothing leaking and there's no pressure going into the house.

Asked a neighbor if he's water pressure b/c I'm starting to think there might be something wrong w/ the universe and nothing wrong w/ me. Water main broke the whole 'hood lost water. It's not me it's the universe :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:26 pm 
Sergeant Major

C_S wrote:
W/ computer it prolly matters that even alt current alts at the same time fru all the components. i dunno

Lost water pressure and freaked out b/c this seems to be a very fundamental problem w/ the house. Checked the main nothing leaking and there's no pressure going into the house.

Asked a neighbor if he's water pressure b/c I'm starting to think there might be something wrong w/ the universe and nothing wrong w/ me. Water main broke the whole 'hood lost water. It's not me it's the universe :)

Rainy season is here CS.
Tomorrow afternoon you can go out in your backyard with a bar of soap and your shampoo and shower in the rain.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:25 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15595
jack t ripper wrote:

:lol: Sound effects are awesome

What myth were the busting there exactly?

Profile E-mail