maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grocery Shopping Service
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:41 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 10848
About 20 years ago my wife did a MBA thingie on internet grocery shopping. Bleeding edge at the time and pretty much didn't happen.

Now its a thing.

Using shipt app to shop at my local grocery store. The whole family contributes to the grocery list...we pull the trigger...a local gal does the shopping and drops it off...either leaves it on the porch if not home or runs it inside if the door is unlocked. I even get texts like "whatever" isn't available do you want "whatever". My people are alarmed at the level of competition this service provides...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Grocery Shopping Service
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:38 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19649
I remember when I still lived up in Chicago there was a company called "Peapod" that started doing internet grocery shopping. IIRC early on they entered into partnership with a regular grocery chain (Jewels).

My memory is a bit foggy as I thought they had some financial pains at one point and closed down, but after further checking they are still around.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12874
I use Amazon prime and like it. Handy, though prices are a bit inflated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:06 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3553
When I shop for groceries I get the same stuff everytime. I could shop with my eyes closed. I would pay for the above service.

I note it has been available here for years but few use it.

Many like to walk in and buy stuff that was not on the shopping list, You can't do that with an app.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
For some stores that would work but if you are a foodie and like to cook it is a problem because I like to go in and find the best cut of meat and the best looking vegetables. This is especially true for fish because it depends on the local supply. Also, the butcher often marks down prices for us informally by typing in Dungeness crab instead of snow crab...well, mainly for my wife. ;)

Still, there are many commodities or brands that have stable prices (like booze) and ordering online makes sense.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:50 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 6277
I'm an old bastard and I just don't dig it.

Going to the supermarket is a social event here. I know all the staff including the owners and their kid who works there as well.

One day folks are going to end up in a fetal position clutching their I-phone in a safe place in their incredibly small home. There will be no need what-so-ever to interact with other people and folks will fear personal contact.

Not my kinda world.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:24 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 5257
Lava wrote:
I'm an old bastard and I just don't dig it.

Going to the supermarket is a social event here. I know all the staff including the owners and their kid who works there as well.

One day folks are going to end up in a fetal position clutching their I-phone in a safe place in their incredibly small home. There will be no need what-so-ever to interact with other people and folks will fear personal contact.

Not my kinda world.

It's generation Tippy Cup's world and we just live in it babe.

You couldn't pay me to eat "warehouse picked" meat and veggies, I suppose there MIGHT be a utility in long-term foodstuffs being buyable this way but I don't see it killing the market in my lifetime.