Open all night
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crime in N.S.W lowest for 25 years
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:05 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3928
http://www.bocsar.nsw.gov.au/Pages/bocs ... -2017.aspx

Rates of robbery and major theft offences in New South Wales are at the lowest level in over 25 years, according to the latest crime statistics released today by the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research (BOCSAR).

Comparing per capita rates of crime in 2017 with per capita rates in 1990, lower rates were found for: robbery with a firearm (90% lower); motor vehicle theft (82% lower); break and enter non-dwelling (78% lower); murder (69% lower); robbery without a weapon (64% lower); break and enter dwelling (64% lower) and robbery with a weapon not a firearm (59% lower).

Post subject: Re: Crime in N.S.W lowest for 25 years
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:45 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Whenever crime rates drop abruptly here it is usually intentional manipulation of data-gathering or there are simply fewer young men in the demographic group.

One study found that easier availability of abortion HELPED lower crime rates 18 years later.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 720
jack t ripper wrote:
Whenever crime rates drop abruptly here it is usually intentional manipulation of data-gathering or there are simply fewer young men in the demographic group.

One study found that easier availability of abortion HELPED lower crime rates 18 years later.

Or to ban assault rifles. ;)

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:27 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
jack t ripper wrote:

Or to ban assault rifles. ;)

As it applies to the US:
Quote:
Did the law (1994 Assault Weapons Ban) have an effect on crime or gun violence? While gun violence did fall in the 1990s, this was likely due to other factors. Here's the UPenn study again: "We cannot clearly credit the ban with any of the nation’s recent drop in gun violence. And, indeed, there has been no discernible reduction in the lethality and injuriousness of gun violence."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 5666a54e65

Obviously the result may have been different in Australia.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:40 pm 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:

As it applies to the US:
Quote:
Did the law (1994 Assault Weapons Ban) have an effect on crime or gun violence? While gun violence did fall in the 1990s, this was likely due to other factors. Here's the UPenn study again: "We cannot clearly credit the ban with any of the nation’s recent drop in gun violence. And, indeed, there has been no discernible reduction in the lethality and injuriousness of gun violence."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 5666a54e65

Obviously the result may have been different in Australia.

How about the statistics after the assault weapon ban expired 2004?

Just curious. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:51 pm 
Sergeant Major

Where I come from EVERYONE takes an AR-15 to rob a convenience store. The trick is getting the thing down your pants and then walking normally.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:13 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 12088

All that's missing is a President willing to make it happen.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

11Bravo wrote:

All that's missing is a President willing to make it happen.

If you desire anything like that, just do it. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:17 pm 
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth

Reputation points: 16468
How many blacks, Muslims, and illegal immigrants are there in NSW?

I'd bet the crime rates are even lower in Wyoming and New Hampshire.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:53 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16336
Should we find a list of countries where all firearms are completely illegal for civilians and have a look at "crime," or the incidence of death by firearms in general?

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/syria

Quote:
Firearm Law
Guiding gun control legislation in Syria includes the Law No. 403 of 195715 11 and Legislative Decree No. 51 of 23 September 200116
Firearm Regulation Authority
Guns in Syria are regulated by the Ministry of the Interior, the General Organization for Trade and Distribution (GOTA) of the Ministry of Economy and Trade,11 and the police17
Compare
Right to Possess Firearms
In Syria, the right to private gun ownership is not guaranteed by law18 19 15
Compare
Restricted Firearms and Ammunition
In Syria, civilians are not allowed to possess military rifles, whether automatic or single-shot, and machine guns16 20
CompareRegulation of Automatic Weapons
In Syria, private possession of fully automatic weapons is prohibited16
CompareRegulation of Handguns
In Syria, private possession of handguns (pistols and revolvers) is permitted under licence20
CompareLaw Regulates Long Guns
In Syria, civilian possession of rifles and shotguns is regulated by law20
Compare
Gun Ownership and Possession
In Syria, only licensed gun owners (for certain arms)16 21 11 8 may lawfully acquire, possess or transfer a firearm or ammunition
CompareGenuine Reason Required for Firearm Possession
Applicants for a gun owner’s licence in Syria are required to establish a genuine reason to possess a firearm, for example for the legitimate protection of persons, assets or property15 22
CompareMinimum Age for Firearm Possession
The minimum age for gun ownership in Syria is 25 years16 21
CompareGun Owner Background Checks
An applicant for a firearm licence in Syria must pass a background check which considers criminal and health21 22 records
CompareDomestic Violence and Firearms
Where a past history, or apprehended likelihood of family violence exists, the law in Syria stipulates14 that a gun licence should be denied or revoked
CompareGun Owner Licensing Period
In Syria, gun owners must re-apply and re-qualify for their firearm licence every five years16 23
CompareLicensing Records
In Syria, authorities maintain a record11 of individual civilians licensed to acquire, possess, sell or transfer a firearm or ammunition
CompareLimit on Number of Guns
Licensed firearm owners in Syria are permitted to possess one single-shot revolver and two hunting rifles16

I suspect we can come up with a nice list of countries where "guns are completely outlawed" which nonetheless have stunningly high rates of death by firearms. Likewise I am confident we can find quite a few where guns are common place, required even and with quite low rates of death by firearms.

The right to bear arms, and the presence of affordable and accessible arms on the civilian market does not DETERMINE much of anything when it comes to crime statistics. Of that I am quite positive; the data I have reviewed over the years (some of which is not particularly accessible or is literally suppressed by ideologues who cannot handle the truth) convinced me of that.

The rate of violence in the United States is too high, on that we can agree. The rate of firearms violence is also too high, on that we can also agree.

But if you wish to suggest that the solution to the "too high rates of firearms violence" is to "take away the guns" or "make the bad guns go bye bye" then that is where we must part ways. This line of thinking is about like suggesting that, because people use sleeping pills, cords/ropes/wires/chains, high buildings/bridges, razor blades, or "death by cop" to commit suicide, we should make all the "bad stuff" in the preceding list go bye bye and make suicide stop. Suicide is far more common, and far less acknowledged by the way and people use all sorts of methods to do it. Hanging and poison/sleeping pills are popular, and I believe firearms are 3rd or 4th. Of course, this depends on the availability of firearms to some extent. Societies like the U.S. where firearms are more readily available show a higher incidence than societies like Chile or Equador where they are not as common. But people just resort to other methods, just as criminals resort to other methods when they are bound and determined to commit crimes but firearms are not readily available.

Profile E-mail