maddogdrivethru.net
http://maddogdrivethru.net/

Italian election explained
http://maddogdrivethru.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20156
Page 10 of 12

Author:  NefariousKoel [ Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Italian election explained

nero wrote:
Lava wrote:
Trump has a strange way doing away with all tariffs. :roll:

'It became necessary to have more tariffs to do away with all tariffs' -- Ronald I. Hump.

:lol:


What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

If they want to play protectionist trade politics, then they shouldn't complain when they receive the same in return. It's about time we got some non-politician with balls enough to say enough is enough. Someone who actually cares more about making good deals rather than just making one to claim a false victory for making bad ones.

I have no doubts the same would be done by the others if the roles were reversed. They already actively did so.

Author:  LaPalice [ Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Italian election explained

chijohnaok wrote:
LaPalice wrote:
If the CETA was dead, that would be a good thing.

Italy won't ratify EU free-trade deal with Canada: farm minister

MILAN (Reuters) - Italy will not ratify the European Union’s free trade agreement with Canada, its new agriculture minister said on Thursday, ratcheting up an international trade spat and potentially scuppering the EU’s biggest accord in years.

.../...


See, that is a good example for why the UK is best served by Brexit.
IIRC that deal between Canada and the EU took eight (8) years to finalize.
In fact I thought that it was already a done deal:
https://news.vice.com/en_ca/article/ned ... kes-effect

So the UK (or theoretically any other EU member) waits 8 fricken years for a trade deal and then one member can shitcan the whole thing at the last minute.

I have no doubt that the UK would be able to, on its own, negotiate a trade deal with Canada or most any other (non-EU) country in a quarter of that time (or less).

It took eight years because the EU is not a single nation, as the eurocrats think, but 28. So it was necessary to make a deal with 28 different nations, not one. And those 28 different nations can have different interests, despite again what the eurocrats think, so it can be complicate to make a deal with one side when in fact there are 28 sides.

That said, it is a good thing in my opinion is there is not trade agreement, at least one like the CETA. But if the British want one, it is their right. I remember the news when the agreement was signed, and apparently the Germans were the people in Europe who were the most against it. The French were more or less indifferent, I guess because in France our media are not as good as in Germany.

Author:  chijohnaok [ Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Italian election explained

Quote:
It took eight years because the EU is not a single nation, as the eurocrats think, but 28. So it was necessary to make a deal with 28 different nations, not one. And those 28 different nations can have different interests, despite again what the eurocrats think, so it can be complicate to make a deal with one side when in fact there are 28 sides.


Understood...and that is why I said that Britain would be better off negotiating deals on their own:
----they can do the deals in less time
----they can tailor the deal to include those items that are in their own best interests. Only 2 nations need to agree or disagree--the British and the country that they are negotiating with

Author:  LaPalice [ Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Italian election explained

Trump thinks that it would be a good thing if EU was weakened. So he wants to help Italia against the ECB.

Trump Offered Italy Assistance with Debt Crisis

Quote:
During a meeting with Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte last month, US President Donald Trump purportedly offered Italy assistance in buying the country’s sovereign bonds next year in the face of the country’s distressed financial health, which could have ripple effect implications to the rest of the Eurozone.

.../...

Author:  Anthropoid [ Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Italian election explained

LaPalice wrote:
Trump thinks that it would be a good thing if EU was weakened. So he wants to help Italia against the ECB.

Trump Offered Italy Assistance with Debt Crisis

Quote:
During a meeting with Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte last month, US President Donald Trump purportedly offered Italy assistance in buying the country’s sovereign bonds next year in the face of the country’s distressed financial health, which could have ripple effect implications to the rest of the Eurozone.

.../...


:thumbsup: ! :lol:

Author:  jack t ripper [ Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Italian election explained

I don't get it. Wouldn't a US purchase of Italian government debt REDUCE their borrowing costs? How would that harm the EU?

It isn't going to happen anyway. :lol: I suppose the Fed could tinker around the margins with Italian debt purchases but any meaningful purchase would require the Congress to approve. Plus, we would have to BORROW the money from the Chicoms. :lol:

Author:  nelmsm [ Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Italian election explained

Won't we have to sell our bonds to buy Italian bonds? I wasn't a finance major but something doesn't sound kosher about that at all.

Author:  LaPalice [ Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Italian election explained

jack t ripper wrote:
I don't get it. Wouldn't a US purchase of Italian government debt REDUCE their borrowing costs? How would that harm the EU?

It isn't going to happen anyway. :lol: I suppose the Fed could tinker around the margins with Italian debt purchases but any meaningful purchase would require the Congress to approve. Plus, we would have to BORROW the money from the Chicoms. :lol:

The EU wants that Italy, like any other country of the eurozone, follows rigorous budget rules, but Italy does not want it. So there might be a struggle between Italy and the ECB. If the US buys Italian debt, that will help it against the EU, because Italy will be able to work with a loose budget policy despite all the measures the European Commission and the ECB take against it.

And if the struggle between EU and Italy on budget increased, that could end by the destruction of the eurozone and the euro currency. It seems to me that that would please Trump, who doesn't like EU and sees it as a commercial enemy.

Author:  nero [ Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Italian election explained

Reality check:

If Trump can not get a little money for his wall, how on earth he could get money to support Italy? :lol:

Author:  jack t ripper [ Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Italian election explained

Ah..got it..so this would be borrowing ABOVE the EU debt limits. Trump does not have authority to do that. he is just yanking Merkel's chain.

Page 10 of 12 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/