maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Italian election explained
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:35 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 10157
chijohnaok wrote:

I think that Sanders means well (and he probably believes all the things that he is saying) but I'm not sure how much success that he would have had in charge of the United States.

While it seems that he did OK as the Mayor of Burlington, VT (a community of 42,000 people) running a country of 326 million is something entirely different. We do know successful Sanders wife was in running Burlington College into the ground

Sanders would have a bigger problem than the charge of his country. That's would be his own party, like Corbyn in Great Britain. A big part of it would be against him, those who know better, as they think.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:44 am 
Staff Sergeant

If the CETA was dead, that would be a good thing.

Italy won't ratify EU free-trade deal with Canada: farm minister

Quote:
MILAN (Reuters) - Italy will not ratify the European Union’s free trade agreement with Canada, its new agriculture minister said on Thursday, ratcheting up an international trade spat and potentially scuppering the EU’s biggest accord in years.

.../...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:24 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
LaPalice wrote:

Quote:
MILAN (Reuters) - Italy will not ratify the European Union’s free trade agreement with Canada, its new agriculture minister said on Thursday, ratcheting up an international trade spat and potentially scuppering the EU’s biggest accord in years.

.../...

:lol: Trump has really unleashed a transcontinental movement.

I'm guessing the Italian agricultural sector is afraid of cheaper Canadian agricultural products? Canadian consumers would benefit from imported Italian cheeses. The poor bastards have to smuggle in European and American cheeses. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:44 pm 
Staff Sergeant

jack t ripper wrote:
LaPalice wrote:

.../...

:lol: Trump has really unleashed a transcontinental movement.

I'm guessing the Italian agricultural sector is afraid of cheaper Canadian agricultural products? Canadian consumers would benefit from imported Italian cheeses. The poor bastards have to smuggle in European and American cheeses. :lol:

It is interesting to see if the Italians will really do what they say. It will be a good indication to see if the Italians are ready to pit themselves against the EU.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

I wonder if Italian pastas are required to have Italian wheat. That is certainly something US and Canadian producers could produce much more efficiently.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

LaPalice wrote:

Quote:

.../...

See, that is a good example for why the UK is best served by Brexit.
IIRC that deal between Canada and the EU took eight (8) years to finalize.
In fact I thought that it was already a done deal:
https://news.vice.com/en_ca/article/ned ... kes-effect

So the UK (or theoretically any other EU member) waits 8 fricken years for a trade deal and then one member can shitcan the whole thing at the last minute.

I have no doubt that the UK would be able to, on its own, negotiate a trade deal with Canada or most any other (non-EU) country in a quarter of that time (or less).

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17050
The EU is just a shit idea.

The bottom line is, European countries are all very different in terms of their political culture.

Barnier likes to talk about cherry picking a lot. Oh the Brits want free trade but they don't want freedom of movement, you have to sign up to everything fi you want free trade, or that's cherry picking and not allowed. That's not a plus of the EU, that's a huge minus. Bilateral arrangements pretty much allow precise cherry picking. The UK could choose to have free trade with Italy but not with Germany, to have freedom of movement with France but not with Romania. Thus the UK could get a deal which is more closer to what the UK actually wants.

CETA has to keep 28 (well, 27 ;) ) nations happy. That's an impossibility. You can force it on those 27, and twats like Verhofstadt and Junker want to do just that. Because they seem to think simply taking away the power of their governments is all that's required, when what'll happen if they do that is that more and more voters will get very angry. Something which autocratic European instincts never seems to really get.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:51 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8777
EUBanana wrote:
free trade

I would characterize it as "managed trade."

Hence the reason it took so long to come to agreement with Canada for a trade agreement and the folks in the G6 recoiling in horror at doing away with all tariffs as proposed by Trump.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:58 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 720
Lava wrote:
EUBanana wrote:
free trade

I would characterize it as "managed trade."

Hence the reason it took so long to come to agreement with Canada for a trade agreement and the folks in the G6 recoiling in horror at doing away with all tariffs as proposed by Trump.

Trump has a strange way doing away with all tariffs. :roll:

'It became necessary to have more tariffs to do away with all tariffs' -- Ronald I. Hump.

:lol:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:09 pm 
Sergeant Major

That's the Queens way.*

*Queens, NY

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next