maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Italian election explained
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:11 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17050

Theresa wouldn't hurt her bosom buddies though. Unless Barnier really does a sterling job!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:49 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
jack t ripper wrote:
In fairness to Italian voters, it really cannot be argued that Italy has not borne an undo migrant burden for the EU.

And now those criminal globalist "NGO" smugglers are back at it. Smuggling more people from Tunisia, after their Libyan routes were curtailed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:59 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
New Italian govt vows to create jobs, deport migrants

https://apnews.com/2c3771ee21c045c3ac87 ... t-migrants

Oh my!
That will never be accepted in Brussels...

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:00 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 10157
chijohnaok wrote:

Oh my!

You are right, Brussels will not like that. We can see it in your article by the comments made by Juncker about the new Italian government.

Di Maio, the guy of the M5S, says that he wants to favor jobs. It is interesting as it is the complete contrary to the EU, and particularly ECB, policy, which favors inflation rate before jobs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:22 pm 
Corporal

Reputation points: 3216
chijohnaok wrote:

Oh my!

Radically increasing government spending with no regard for the budget deficit in a country which already has huge public debt at more than 130% of GDP, a weak economy and financial markets that are already skeptical. What could possibly go wrong?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

KAding wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

Oh my!

Radically increasing government spending with no regard for the budget deficit in a country which already has huge public debt at more than 130% of GDP, a weak economy and financial markets that are already skeptical. What could possibly go wrong?

Does the new government propose to "Radically increasing government spending"?

The article didn't directly say that.

It did say that they would "create jobs".
Does that necesssarily mean an increase in government spending?
A government can promote job growth without an increase in the government payroll.

The article said that they would deport migrants.
While that may result in a short or medium term increase in spending for the cost of deporting those migrants, it may result in long term savings as there would be savings in the cost of supporting those migrants who are not employed and/or receiving government subsidies.

The article did say that they must "address the poverty in southern Italy".
I will concede that could/would increase government spending, but might that not be offset by some reduction from not having to spend money on poverty among the migrants?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:49 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 10157
KAding wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

Oh my!

The problem starts with the eurozone. With a common currency, some countries, like Germany, are advantaged, because for them, the euro is weaker than it would be with the Deutsch Mark; other countries, essentially those in the South of Europe, are disadvantaged because the euro is too strong for their economy, stronger than if they had their own currency.

The solution would be the one that works in any country, like the US for example, where the central/federal state redistributes wealth from the rich regions to the poor regions. But for that, the Germans would have to pay a too high price, so they refuse to pay it. So the countries of the South of Europe plunge in stagnation.

The only solution that the eurozone has is austerity, always more austerity, which does not work for the Southern countries, because for them the euro is too strong. Our elites don't understand that and continue to say that austerity will resolve the problem. But the population of those countries are fed up with austerity, so they reject the mainstream parties, the ones which could have a reasonable and benign solution (but only want austerity), and go to see radical parties like La Lega and M5S. That's the only solution that the population has.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:33 am 
Sergeant Major

Apparently 5 star made a pledge to make sure everybody got at least 780 euros a month income.

That seems extremely irresponsible to me. And the worm will turn if you make unfulfillable promises like that.

Mind you same could be said about mass deportation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:39 am 
Sergeant Major

It's the 21st century version of a loaf of bread and free passes to the Circus Maximus....on steroids

The problem is Caesar is Berlin will not approve.

Sometimes voters will forgive a candidate his unrealistic promise if he appears genuine and can blame it on opposing forces. Eg., Trump and his border wall.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:45 am 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
It's the 21st century version of a loaf of bread and free passes to the Circus Maximus....on steroids

The problem is Caesar is Berlin will not approve.

Sometimes voters will forgive a candidate his unrealistic promise if he appears genuine and can blame it on opposing forces. Eg., Trump and his border wall.

Perhaps it will further poison the relationship between Italy and the EU/Germany. I guess that's a good thing ultimately from my PoV (EU delenda est ;) ).

But in the EU or not this doesn't strike me as sensible policy for Italy, a country suffering from economic malaise. Canada and Finland can get away with this sort of experimentation because they have the money to throw around, Italy does not. And if things are shit a bunch of guys promising the moon on a stick is not a real solution.

I fear they will end up giving the various anti-EU forces a bad name when it all goes south.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next