maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Senators for less gun penalties and more gun laws...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
https://www.conservativereview.com/arti ... n-control/

Quote:
Senate committee passes jailbreak for gun felons while pushing…gun control

It doesn’t get any more ironic than this.

Posted February 15, 2018 by Daniel Horowitz

The bipartisan political elites have a great idea. With federal judges becoming more and more extreme by the day why not abolish the mandatory minimum sentences that so successfully alleviated the crime bubble in the ‘90s and go back to allowing liberal judges to let people out of jail at a whim?

Today, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed a jailbreak bill in a vote of 16-5 with overwhelming bipartisan support. The bill, S. 1917, not only reduces mandatory minimum laws, such as “three strikes and you’re out,” it offers existing violent and hardened federal prisoners multiple opportunities for early release. It further loosens laws for juveniles serving time in federal prison for the worst crimes (most often MS-13 members) and allows judges to seal and expunge criminal records for many juveniles. This is the sort of social experiment taking place in the most liberal states and it has created a known problem with juvenile violence in places like my hometown of Baltimore. My analysis of a similar bill introduced in 2015 can be viewed here.

Sections 104 and 105 of this bill would reduce the mandatory minimums for those charged with firearms violations during the course of drug offenses or other violent crimes. Crimes involving firearms were the third most common offense in the federal system in recent years.

Ironically, many of those behind jailbreak for convicted gun felons are the same people who are now pushing broad gun control measures on innocent law-abiding citizens. Even former Attorney General Holder agreed that retroactivity should not be applied to those who received a mandatory minimum sentence for a firearms offense pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 924(c) or an enhancement for possession of a dangerous weapon under the sentencing guidelines.

Amazingly, Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, a lead sponsor of the jailbreak bill for convicted gun felons, is now exploring politicizing the Parkland shooting and passing new gun control measures. Some of the most passionate supporters of gun control in the Democrat Party, such as Dianne Feinstein, Chuck Schumer, Dick Durbin, and Kamala Harris, voted to release gun felons.

The centerpiece of the lie behind the jailbreak movement, otherwise known as “criminal justice reform,” is that there are too many people in prison, particularly, non-violent offenders. I posted a full fact sheet in 2015 debunking each one of their talking points. It’s important to remember that we are talking about federal legislation dealing with federal convictions and the federal prison population. The federal prison population is just 10 percent of the total incarcerated universe in this country and the population has dramatically shrunk. The U.S. Sentencing Commission has released from prison tens of thousands of criminals handpicked by President Obama, including those who were convicted on firearms charges.

And yet it’s not enough for the pro-jailbreak crowd. The reality is that there are only 183,000 inmates in federal prisons, including private facilities and halfway houses, and 32 percent of them are non-citizens. A whopping 44.2 percent of all federal convictions in the federal system from 2001 to 2016 were non-citizens. Thus, immigration continues to be the 800-pound gorilla in the room when it comes to the federal system. To start with, we should be deporting all criminal aliens and implementing the promised security measures so we don’t have this problem. Deal with the immigration issue first and then come back and see if we have a problem with the clogged federal system.

Yet, almost all of those who support jailbreak policies are for the very open borders agenda that have congested the federal criminal justice system with criminals from other countries. And there is nothing in this bill that would ensure that all of the criminal aliens released would be deported. An MS-13 member who was convicted of murder when he was a 17-year-old and has served 20 years in federal prison could be let out on the streets at the stroke of a pen from a liberal judge.

Of those who remain in federal prison who are U.S. citizens, by definition, they are not “nonviolent.” They are bad characters. Nobody is sitting in a federal prison because they were arrested for simple possession of drugs unless they have an immigration charge.

Senator Ted Cruz, R-Texas, challenged the committee on their assertion that this is all for nonviolent offenders by proposing an amendment that would bar violent felons from receiving any leniency. It was voted down 16-5. Cruz was joined by Sens. Kennedy, R-La., Hatch, R-Utah, Cornyn, R-Texas, and Sasse, R-Neb. The same group of five opposed the final bill while everyone else supported it.

President Trump and Attorney General Jeff Sessions have consistently opposed reducing sentences and have accused the broader agenda of being responsible for the rise in crime after two decades of a consistent decline. Sessions sent a letter to the committee yesterday categorically rejecting the premise of this bill. Sessions noted that we are in the midst of the worst drug crisis in history and crime rates and drug deaths have been rising commensurate with the same period that sentencing has already been diminished on a federal and state level.

There has already been a decade of leniencies in the federal system without jailbreak and judicial jailbreak. In FY 2015, 62.4% of all drug traffickers sentenced received a sentence below that which is recommended in the sentencing guidelines. In FY 2016, only 44.5% of all drug offenders were convicted of an offense carrying a mandatory minimum penalty altogether, the lowest proportion since 1993.

As is self-evident from the past few decades, most of those convicted of drug trafficking on a federal level are involved in other violent crimes but are often convicted just on drug charges because it is easiest to nail down a conviction based on bank records.

I’m told from White House and Justice Department officials that Jared Kushner is the driving force behind the jailbreak agenda and that it does not have the support of President Trump.

It’s fitting in a perverse way for the Senate to vote for jailbreak at the same time they are voting for amnesty for illegals. Both issues have aggressive bipartisan support among the elites but both issues are detested by most average Americans, particularly in the suburbs. I can say that the majority of those in my neighborhood outside of Baltimore, not a red bastion, think there are too few people in prison and that the criminal justice system is too lenient. Very few people outside of the D.C. policy circles believe in this nonsense. In fact, Chuck Grassley himself admitted that they didn’t vote on this bill outside of committee in 2015 because 5-6 members would have been at risk losing their seats for Willie Horton-style legislation.

As late as March 10, 2015, Grassley delivered a floor speech agreeing with Jeff Sessions every premise of the bill’s flaws. He even identified the toxic source of jailbreak – “the leniency industrial complex” – in his own words. Then six months later he flipped and is now incensed that Sessions is opposing the bill. Maybe someone should ask the good senator why he is so scared of the voters and why he is suddenly owned by the leniency-industrial complex.

We need more gun laws but reduced penalties for violating gun laws. :roll:

Right, can you report back to me in a few years on how that works out?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Senators for less gun penalties and more gun laws...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:43 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
The Dems can't keep their principals straight on so many issues. :?

The Donks will need a major party reformation before long, at this rate. One that's less corrupt and more focused on the interests of their fellow countrymen. Otherwise they're going to crash and burn for awhile.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14927
Its true that most control enthusiasts are nuts. Colleague of mine is gay. Says hateful things about the NRA and gun owners because Nikolas Cruze. Wants to trash the second amendment.

I did not propose reasonable restrictions of gay males first amendment rights because Jeffrey Dahmer. Hateful people have no concept of hypocrisy so they would not comprehend the analogy.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14177
Once a person is a "felon" then no more guns. The felons have been "controlled". So it makes complete sense to declare everyone a felon. Then gun control is complete.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:25 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17757
More guns.

I want ppl like J.W. and mdielio armed up to their toofs. It makes me feel safer.

Maybe it's b/c Floridian. When I go into a store and reckon everyone there is carrying, it makes me feel safer.

If someone goes crazy there's a lot of ppl around to put im down w/ the quickness.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17757
I've never fired a AR-15.

She's just a simple .223 rifle isn't she? I've fired a .223 and never missed. Set out a coke can I'll hit it first shot. She's a very comfortable weapon I might think of getting one.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:31 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 6238
Yes you can get them chambered for .223 only or 5.56/.223. I have seen conflicting articles on the whole .223/5.56 chambers.

I was always told "never shoot 5.56mm (milspec) ammo from a .223 only rifle, but you can shoot .223 even from a .223/5.56 or 5.56mm chamber only rifle." But pretty sure any chamber in a AR now a days will handle modern Milspec ammo.

I know my AR15 is chambered for either and it shoots them clean as a whistle. I do stay away from the steel cased ammo though. I do love my AR, but the funnest "toy" is my Umarex (Licensed by HK) MP5 that shoots .22LR. Cheaper overall to shoot. Built to full on MP5 specs. Both the real MP5 (9mm) and mine work identically. Same select fire setup, magazine release, bolt action, everything is identical.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14927
My favorite one to shoot is my muzzle-loader. ;)

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:21 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15095
Course the numbers that get assigned to ammunition are often not very literal, but I always assumed .223 was just the Imperial units equivalent of 5.56 mm. Turns out not!

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=&as_ ... as_rights=

0.223 inches = 5.6642 millimeters. Assuming the 0.223 bullets really are 5.66 mm at their widest spot, then that means a 0.223 barrel is just a wee-bit larger than a 5.56 bullet = not good to send a 5.56 millimeter bullet down a 5.66 barrel: bullet failing to "stick" in the grooves and instead exhibiting irregular movements, skipping going down the barrel. Might well destroy the barrel?

Presumably, the .223/5.56 machines have the smaller distance between the grooves that a 5.56 mm bullet requires to properly connect and spin into controlled flight out the muzzle. Since we are only talking about a tenth of a millimeter, I would guess the larger 0.223 (5.66 mm) bullet just gets slightly more "smushed" as it leaves the casing and enters the rifling?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:55 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 6238
Most of what I have read on the issue has more to do with the firing pressure the actual chamber can take.

IIRC, .223 is fired at a much lower pressure than 5.56mm. I have read some that state firing 5.56mm could result in a .223 exploding due to over pressure. I don't claim to be an expert on that issue, but I sort of doubt that. Maybe with a bolt action civilian .223, but not any AR versions.

Heck, I get nervous firing modern ammo from my grandfather 1960 era Winchester.

I have seen one article a while back that said 5.56mm ammo would not expand and properly seal in a .223 chamber, that might be the "explosion" they talk about. I honestly don't know but I will continue to abide the "no 5.56mm in a .223 chamber" rule.

Now for shooting, at the range, I typically fire 55 grain .223 from my AR. Out to 3-400 yards they are dead on accurate without a scope (I iron sight shoot), any misses are the shooters fault. So I doubt they are getting squeezed anymore that a 5.56mm. When I shoot milspec ammo, I am restricted to the ranges 50 meter lanes. There are 10 lanes stationed about 50 meters from the regular ranges, the backstop is equally 3X as deep plus it has extensive overhead protction starting about 10 meters from the firing line.

Profile E-mail