Open all night
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Chinese ph
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
I highly recommend "Cosmodrome" on Netflix

A documentary on the Russian space program. After the US reached the moon, the Kremlin ordered the existing inventory or big engines destroyed. The developer refused and mothballed them in some warehouse. NASA went over in the 90's and bought the things and used the 25 year old engines for non-manned launches.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14927
Quote:
It just occurs to me that: if any country is a sufficient threat to the U.S. that it is prudent to issue warnings against using their computer and telecomms tech, then why are we doing business with them AT ALL!?

Anthro takes the Red Pill on ChiCom trade. ;)

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:22 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
I don't trust Chinese dog food, Chinese dry wall, Chinese baby food, Chinese cell phones, Chinese airliners. How would you even know a Chinese TV monitor isn't spying on you? Chinese medicines? Hell no!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15095
jack t ripper wrote:
I don't trust Chinese dog food, Chinese dry wall, Chinese baby food, Chinese cell phones, Chinese airliners. How would you even know a Chinese TV monitor isn't spying on you? Chinese medicines? Hell no!

Heh, last night I noticed one of our toilets is starting to run when it is flushed. Mentioned to my wife that I need to look at it this weekend and to remind me.

It has been probably 10 years since the guts were replaced and we are not the most diligent in keeping the bowl clean (I have had plumbers tell me supposedly that a dirty bowl will cause faster wear-and-tear on the parts in the tank, but I doubt that really).

It occurred to me that, at least based on memory, the toilets of my youth were far more robust and maintenance free than those of today. Not sure. My grandfather owned a hardware store in Flat River, Missouri for like . . . 30 or 40 years after WWII. I used to play in the aisles in that store and I remember the big sturdy plumbing supplies: brass, copper, lead, steel, all American made too. The kind of shit you can use to make stone tools or bash a criminal in the head with in a pinch.

Now what do we get? Plastic shit from China.

This is the exact reason Trump was elected: to get rid of the Chinese chachki infestation in our society--at every level from plumbing equipment to automotive, to furniture, and on up the chain all the way to telecoms, computer hardware, and satellites. We are being ripped off and it is high time for it to end.

So far, Trump has been very earnest in following through on many (but not all) of his campaign promises. But kicking China to the curb remains one that he probably would be wise to delay until term number two. Quietly doing the back end preparatory work for a major trade relations breach with China in term one is hopefully what is going on right now, but if he doesn't take actions which effectively stick a knife into the Chinese economy and twist it during Term two I will be disappointed.

If they treated their workers well, and made actual high-quality stuff (or at least a range of qualities that INCLUDED high quality) it would be different. But they don't. They are a fucking nation run by pirates and oligarchs and the people are so beaten into submission from ~70 years of Communist oppression that the best thing they know how to do is watch out for number one.

Profile E-mail