maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Chinese phones
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:56 am 
Offline
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 15832
Reputation points: 12603
Quote:
02.14.18

Six U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Huawei phones

Six intelligence officials, including the heads of the CIA, FBI, and NSA, have told the Senate Intelligence Committee that they would not recommend that U.S. citizens use smartphones from the Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE, reports CNBC. As FBI director Chris Wray told the committee:
(Continued)
https://www.fastcompany.com/40530898/si ... wei-phones
Don't know if this is an attempt to sell more US products?

_________________
"Experience must be our only guide. Reason may mislead us."
John Dickinson
Constitutional Convention of 1787


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Chinese ph
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:50 am 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 19198
Reputation points: 18052
abradley wrote:
Quote:
02.14.18

Six U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Huawei phones

Six intelligence officials, including the heads of the CIA, FBI, and NSA, have told the Senate Intelligence Committee that they would not recommend that U.S. citizens use smartphones from the Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE, reports CNBC. As FBI director Chris Wray told the committee:
(Continued)
https://www.fastcompany.com/40530898/si ... wei-phones
Don't know if this is an attempt to sell more US products?


It's more like being warned not to use a Russian-created antivirus program on your PC, if you wish to keep your secrets out of Russian hands. ;)

Such as the Kaspersky AV warnings:

Security warning: Don't use Russian antivirus on secret government systems, says cyber-agency
http://www.zdnet.com/article/security-w ... er-agency/

New N.S.A. Breach Linked to Popular Russian Antivirus Software
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/p ... ersky.html


etc etc

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Chinese ph
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:11 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 27045
Reputation points: 20000
Guy at Best Buy tried to sell me Kaspersky...I told him "nyet"

_________________
I haven't figured out how to the block thingy works but if anyone alters my posts I will become really, really angry and throw monkey poop out of my cage.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Chinese ph
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:26 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:33 pm
Posts: 20778
Location: LV-426
Reputation points: 14927
It's not a ploy to sell US stuff. China has been waging economic and intel warfare on the USA for 30 years. The USA has not fired back. Globalists warn of a trade war if the USA retaliates. Fuck the globalists. We're in a trade war. It's just that the USA is not fighting back.

_________________
"Fuck the king." - Sandor Clegane

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Chinese ph
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:02 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 11490
Location: inside your worst nightmare
Reputation points: 15095
LOL, and yet we use Russian made rocket engines (well, the designs at least) in many of our military satellite launches and our sole means of transport into space for humans at present is the Russian thing, Soyuz is it?

_________________
Anthro's NSFW Thread


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Chinese ph
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:08 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 30435
Location: West coast of the east coast
Reputation points: 20000
Anthropoid wrote:
LOL, and yet we use Russian made rocket engines (well, the designs at least) in many of our military satellite launches and our sole means of transport into space for humans at present is the Russian thing, Soyuz is it?


No, I don't think that we use Russian made or designed rocket engines; rather the US has been contracting with Russia to send US astronauts and supplies up to the International Space Station on Russian rockets. In a nutshell, Russia has been our space Uber service.

_________________
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Chinese ph
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:20 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 27045
Reputation points: 20000
chijohnaok wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
LOL, and yet we use Russian made rocket engines (well, the designs at least) in many of our military satellite launches and our sole means of transport into space for humans at present is the Russian thing, Soyuz is it?


No, I don't think that we use Russian made or designed rocket engines; rather the US has been contracting with Russia to send US astronauts and supplies up to the International Space Station on Russian rockets. In a nutshell, Russia has been our space Uber service.



Anthro is right. The Russian RD-180 is the powerplant for the Atlas V

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RD-180

_________________
I haven't figured out how to the block thingy works but if anyone alters my posts I will become really, really angry and throw monkey poop out of my cage.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Chinese ph
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:37 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 11490
Location: inside your worst nightmare
Reputation points: 15095
jack t ripper wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

No, I don't think that we use Russian made or designed rocket engines; rather the US has been contracting with Russia to send US astronauts and supplies up to the International Space Station on Russian rockets. In a nutshell, Russia has been our space Uber service.


Anthro is right. The Russian RD-180 is the powerplant for the Atlas V

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RD-180


Right; though as I half expected, what we procured from them was the designs and the legal right to build them ourselves. Obviously not analogous to computer and telecomms tech from an active intelligence risk standpoint.

It just occurs to me that: if any country is a sufficient threat to the U.S. that it is prudent to issue warnings against using their computer and telecomms tech, then why are we doing business with them AT ALL!?

We do a shit load of business with both China and Russia and no small number of other authoritarian states. Is it any wonder that (a) they don't really fear our stern critiques of their transgressions, as well as (b) don't really feel any dire need to reform?

I would speculate there is virtually NOTHING provided by any authoritarian power on Earth, including most notably Russia and China, but extending to Sweden and the EU ( :) ) which the United States cannot do without. I suspect Trump would agree. If he didn't have to worry about getting elected for a second term, he might even take the sort of steps I'd like to see: complete severing of all economic and diplomatic relations with both Russia and China and demand for specific terms in order to resume relations. I only have vague notions of what those specifics might be, but the lists would not be short nor trivial.

_________________
Anthro's NSFW Thread


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Chinese ph
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:01 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 30435
Location: West coast of the east coast
Reputation points: 20000
jack t ripper wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

No, I don't think that we use Russian made or designed rocket engines; rather the US has been contracting with Russia to send US astronauts and supplies up to the International Space Station on Russian rockets. In a nutshell, Russia has been our space Uber service.



Anthro is right. The Russian RD-180 is the powerplant for the Atlas V

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RD-180



I stand corrected then.

My apologies Anthro.

I wonder if Werner Von Braun has a grandson or grandaughter lurking about that is into rocket design? ;-)

_________________
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Chinese ph
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:10 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 11490
Location: inside your worst nightmare
Reputation points: 15095
No worries Chi ;) It wasn't really a great point anyway; in fact we produce the Russian DESIGNED engines ourselves and it isn't like they could sneak some cryptic nano-tech into the DESIGN that would lead us to build their spy apparatus for them! :P

But as I elaborated above, it raises the question: why do we "do business" and "play nice" with ANY polity about which it is prudent to issue intelligence warnings? That is turning a blind eye, if not rewarding bad behavior as far as I can see.

_________________
Anthro's NSFW Thread


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group