It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Chinese phones
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:56 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 12603
Quote:

Six U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Huawei phones

Six intelligence officials, including the heads of the CIA, FBI, and NSA, have told the Senate Intelligence Committee that they would not recommend that U.S. citizens use smartphones from the Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE, reports CNBC. As FBI director Chris Wray told the committee:
(Continued)
https://www.fastcompany.com/40530898/si ... wei-phones
Don't know if this is an attempt to sell more US products?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Chinese ph
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:50 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
abradley wrote:
Quote:

Six U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Huawei phones

Six intelligence officials, including the heads of the CIA, FBI, and NSA, have told the Senate Intelligence Committee that they would not recommend that U.S. citizens use smartphones from the Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE, reports CNBC. As FBI director Chris Wray told the committee:
(Continued)
https://www.fastcompany.com/40530898/si ... wei-phones
Don't know if this is an attempt to sell more US products?

It's more like being warned not to use a Russian-created antivirus program on your PC, if you wish to keep your secrets out of Russian hands. ;)

Such as the Kaspersky AV warnings:

Security warning: Don't use Russian antivirus on secret government systems, says cyber-agency
http://www.zdnet.com/article/security-w ... er-agency/

New N.S.A. Breach Linked to Popular Russian Antivirus Software
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/p ... ersky.html

etc etc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:11 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Guy at Best Buy tried to sell me Kaspersky...I told him "nyet"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:26 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14927
It's not a ploy to sell US stuff. China has been waging economic and intel warfare on the USA for 30 years. The USA has not fired back. Globalists warn of a trade war if the USA retaliates. Fuck the globalists. We're in a trade war. It's just that the USA is not fighting back.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:02 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15095
LOL, and yet we use Russian made rocket engines (well, the designs at least) in many of our military satellite launches and our sole means of transport into space for humans at present is the Russian thing, Soyuz is it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:08 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
LOL, and yet we use Russian made rocket engines (well, the designs at least) in many of our military satellite launches and our sole means of transport into space for humans at present is the Russian thing, Soyuz is it?

No, I don't think that we use Russian made or designed rocket engines; rather the US has been contracting with Russia to send US astronauts and supplies up to the International Space Station on Russian rockets. In a nutshell, Russia has been our space Uber service.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:20 pm 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:

No, I don't think that we use Russian made or designed rocket engines; rather the US has been contracting with Russia to send US astronauts and supplies up to the International Space Station on Russian rockets. In a nutshell, Russia has been our space Uber service.

Anthro is right. The Russian RD-180 is the powerplant for the Atlas V

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RD-180

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

Right; though as I half expected, what we procured from them was the designs and the legal right to build them ourselves. Obviously not analogous to computer and telecomms tech from an active intelligence risk standpoint.

It just occurs to me that: if any country is a sufficient threat to the U.S. that it is prudent to issue warnings against using their computer and telecomms tech, then why are we doing business with them AT ALL!?

We do a shit load of business with both China and Russia and no small number of other authoritarian states. Is it any wonder that (a) they don't really fear our stern critiques of their transgressions, as well as (b) don't really feel any dire need to reform?

I would speculate there is virtually NOTHING provided by any authoritarian power on Earth, including most notably Russia and China, but extending to Sweden and the EU ( :) ) which the United States cannot do without. I suspect Trump would agree. If he didn't have to worry about getting elected for a second term, he might even take the sort of steps I'd like to see: complete severing of all economic and diplomatic relations with both Russia and China and demand for specific terms in order to resume relations. I only have vague notions of what those specifics might be, but the lists would not be short nor trivial.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

I stand corrected then.

My apologies Anthro.

I wonder if Werner Von Braun has a grandson or grandaughter lurking about that is into rocket design? ;-)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:10 pm 
Sergeant Major

No worries Chi ;) It wasn't really a great point anyway; in fact we produce the Russian DESIGNED engines ourselves and it isn't like they could sneak some cryptic nano-tech into the DESIGN that would lead us to build their spy apparatus for them! :P

But as I elaborated above, it raises the question: why do we "do business" and "play nice" with ANY polity about which it is prudent to issue intelligence warnings? That is turning a blind eye, if not rewarding bad behavior as far as I can see.

Profile E-mail