maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next
 Post subject: Re: Floride School Shooting at least 15 dead
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:31 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Quote:
more stricter gun laws

As I already stated, Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the US.
Criminals in Chicago are not following the laws.

Do you think that if you make those gun laws even stricter that the criminals will suddenly start to follow them?

Quote:
No guns zones.

Quote:
Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990
Page issues
The Gun-Free School Zones Act (GFSZA) is an act of the U.S. Congress prohibiting any unauthorized individual from knowingly possessing a loaded or unsecured firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(25). The law applies to public, private, and parochial elementary schools and high schools, and to non-private property within 1000 feet of them. It provides that the states and their political subdivisions may issue licenses that exempt the licensed individuals from the prohibition.

Quote:
Penalty

18 U.S.C. § 924(a)(4) establishes the penalty for violating GFSZA:

Whoever violates the Act shall be fined not more than $5,000, imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the term of imprisonment imposed under this paragraph shall not run concurrently with any other term of imprisonment imposed under any other provision of law.

A conviction under the GFSZA will cause an individual to become a "prohibited person" under the Gun Control Act of 1968. It is unlawful for a "prohibited person" to own, purchase, or possess "firearms" as defined by US federal law. A US presidential pardon may remove this civil disability.[5][6]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Fre ... ct_of_1990

That law has been in effect for 28 years.
You seem to believe that passing more/stricter laws will stop criminal behavior.
Why hasn’t the Gun-Free Zones Act stopped school shootings?

Additionally, businesses (such as malls, employers, stores, etc.) have a right to proclaim their business as a “gun free zone” and many have done so.

The Aurora Colorado shooting occurred in a movie theater.
If I recall, that theater had declared itself a “gun free zone” but that didn’t prevent the shooter from bringing his gun(s) into the theater and shooting people.

——
Quote:
Even as the Chicago Police Department touts technology-fueled successes in reducing the number of shootings in the city, detectives are struggling to solve killings, with their murder “clearance” rate falling to a level not seen since at least 1990.

In 2017, the police solved 114 of the 650 murders that occurred in that same year — just 17.5 percent, according to a Chicago Sun-Times analysis of police data.

That appears to be the worst clearance rate in recent Chicago history for solving same-year killings.

The clearance rate was above 60 percent in the early 1990s.

In 2000, detectives were solving 41 percent of same-year murders.

By 2009, the same-year solve rate for murder had fallen to 30 percent amid an outcry from the police that a “no-snitch” code of silence among witnesses, and even victims, was making it difficult to make a murder arrest.

Since 2010, that figure has remained below 30 percent, falling to 19 percent in 2016 before falling even further last year.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/murde ... w-in-2017/

The Chicago Police Department is failing miserably when it comes to solving murder cases.

———

Quote:
The need to get people charged with gun crimes off the streets is frequently mentioned by police leaders including current Superintendent Eddie Johnson in discussions on how to address violence in the city.

According to Foxx, about 80 percent of those charged with gun crimes in 2016 pleaded guilty, with the remainder of the cases going to trial. Only about 30 percent of the defendants whose cases were decided by a judge in a bench trial were convicted, while juries convicted about 42 percent of the gun crime suspects whose cases were brought before them, Foxx told the editorial board.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html

And the prosecutors in Cook County (Chicago) are failing miserably when it comes to prosecuting gun crimes.

——
So, to summarize:

—-Criminals in Chicago do not follow the existing laws.
—-Passing New/stricter laws is not going to suddenly make them follow those new laws.
—-Chicago Police Department is not able to solve enough gun crimes to deter those committing murder.
—-Prosecutors are not able to successfully commit enough gun crimes to deter those committing gun crimes.

The criminals are committing crimes because they realize that they have a very good chance of successfully getting away with them and passing stricter gun control laws is not going to change their behavior.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:58 am 
Sergeant Major

As for calling police for home protection, I found this with regards to Chicago:

Quote:
That has dramatically improved response time to 911 calls, the department has said. In Harrison, officers reached the scene of a 911 call on average in 5.8 minutes as of April, down from 9.6 minutes a year earlier, according to the department. The average response time in Englewood fell to 4.7 minutes, down from 6.1 minutes.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html

While those stats are not for the entire city of Chicago, I do recognize those 2 districts (Harrison and Englewood) as being 2 high crime areas.

So it seems as if the average response time in Chicago to a 911 call is about 5-6 minutes.
If you are at home and realize that some is attempting to break into your home, or has already gotten inside, waiting that 5-6 minutes for police to arrive is a long time (even a lifetime).

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:59 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1834
From the Europe the US seems to be one big war zone. I just wonder how things are in Canada? :roll:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:04 am 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
From the Europe the US seems to be one big war zone. I just wonder how things are in Canada? :roll:

Why don’t you ask those that were bombed in suburban Toronto how things are going?

http://www.thehindu.com/news/internatio ... 985405.ece

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:01 am 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 17657
chijohnaok wrote:
David Hogg organized a boycott of the Publix supermarket chain.

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politic ... -protests/

Publix caved. :evil:

Publix had contributed to the political campaigns of Adam Putnam over the years.
Putnam is a local boy who comes from Polk County, where Publix is headquartered.
His family has been farming in Florida for something like 5 generations.
He has served in the Florida House of Representatives, the US House of Representatives, as the Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Affairs, and I believe is now running for Governor of Florida. He was the youngest member ever elected to the Florida House (he was 22 yrs old at the time). He was only 26 when he was elected to the US House of Rep.

I met him once after he was elected to the House---it was during his first term in the US House. He visited my worksite and did a meet and greet. It was a little intimidating meeting a guy 10 yrs younger than I was who was a member of Congress.

Oh, and the reason that Hogg doesn't like Putnam is because he is a member, supporter and campaign contribution recipient of the NRA.

Attachment:
1527393695552.png
1527393695552.png [ 346.36 KiB | Viewed 164 times ]

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:56 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13427
Quote:
... From the Europe the US seems to be one big war zone ...

Haha ... we've thought the opposite as we've watched the centuries go by !!!
:D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:04 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

David Hogg's family home got swatted...

Quote:
CORAL SPRINGS, Fla. - The family of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student David Hogg was "swatted" Tuesday morning, prompting deputies to respond to their Parkland home.

A call came into the Broward Sheriff's Office claiming a hostage situation at the home.

Coral Springs Fire Rescue arrived at the scene to find there was no hostage situation and the call was a prank.

Hogg was not home at the time of the incident and is currently in Washington with his mother to accept the RFK Human Rights award.

In a phone call with Local 10 News, Hogg sounded off on the massive law enforcement presence at his home after the prank call.

"I think it's really a distraction from what we're trying to fix here, which is the massive gun-violence epidemic in this country," Hogg told Local 10 News reporter Liane Morejon.

Hogg said he found out about the swatting incident through a phone call from a friend.

Sky 10 was over the home as units were staged outside as a precaution. BSO deputies and a BSO helicopter swarmed the neighborhood.

Swatting is the action of making a prank emergency call to bring about a response of armed law enforcement officers.

Neighbors who spoke to Local 10 News reporter Alex Finnie said the incident put them on edge.

"Today, we're walking -- we're going for a walk, and we saw some helicopters here, so we're like, 'Oh my God. What's going on?'" Marcia Marques said. "We are still trying to overcome everything because everything is very difficult, but that episode made us feel more attentive."

"Two police cars, two motorcycles. We should be doing better," Courtney Keisen, who lives in the neighborhood and attends Stoneman Douglas, said. "Something like this shouldn't happen a lot."

Since the shootings at Stoneman Douglas, Hogg has been a prominent advocate for gun safety. However, Hogg has been a lightning rod for controversy as some do not approve of his methods, such as holding a "die-in" protest at a Coral Springs Publix last week.

Hogg said the incident is "evidence of the fact of how many people are trying to stop us from what we're trying to do, which is stop these kids from dying."

"There's people trying to distract from what we're trying to push here, which is the March For Our Lives Road To Change," Hogg said. "And I want people to know, like, we're just trying to advocate for change. There's going to be people against it and always will be, but we're going to keep going no matter what. Nothing will stop us."

https://www.local10.com/news/parkland-s ... ed-at-home

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1834
Mac wrote:
David Hogg's family home got swatted...

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:11 am 
Gunnery Sergeant

I never knew Keeping up Appearances was popular in Finland. That was a show that went on too fucking long.

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:32 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
nero wrote:
From the Europe the US seems to be one big war zone.

That's how the media portrays it. I'm sure the US sounds like a war zone when you get your news from the BBC. :lol:

I've heard numerous foreign visitors say the same thing. How they expected to see the wild west, people openly carrying guns and proclaiming god's will everywhere. :lol: Then they mention how wrong that media sensationalism was, and how nice & open people are here.

I suppose you could consider a few of the small Dem-run "inner city" areas akin to a low intensity war zone if you lived there. More like crime-riddled enclaves. Nobody wants to hang around those leftist utopias, including the Demorat politicians who keep those vote plantations running.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next