All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Batbite crazy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:21 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1834
Can this be true? :shock:

Sarah Kliff wrote:

Why a simple, lifesaving rabies shot can cost $10,000 in America

Untreated rabies is always fatal — but key drugs leave families with thousands in medical debt.
The British National Formulary shows that in the UK, one vial of rabies immunoglobulin costs £600, or $813. Evans says the average male would require two vials (the drug is dosed based on weight) bringing the total price to £1,200, or $1,626 — a fraction of the costs I’ve seen on American hospital bills. The British government also covers all the costs for rabies exposure treatment, leaving patients there with no bill.

As for Finland in the private side, the cost for three shot treatment seems to be less than 300€, for the public side emergency treatment is probably much cheaper.

:roll:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Batbite crazy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:26 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
I think they are talking about post-exposure Rabies Immune Globulin. There is a newly licensed version HyperRAB which is more concentrated allowing a small volume to be infiltrated into the wound directly (such as the face or hands..where it would otherwise hurt like shit).

Quite probably the new HyperRAB is more costly. The usage of standard RAB is 60,000 cases per year in the US. Old RAB (40 years old) is expensive and tightly controlled. I only used it once in my entire career. A 6 year old with feral dog bites while he was visiting his grandparents in Iran. There was no RAB in Iran so the family just few back to the US on the first flight. 15 hours after his bites I was giving the stuff in my office 6 injections over 6 days. I had to rotate the injection sites because he was reacting forcefully at the previous sites. Damn stuff was purple. I am sure it was artificially colored to remind the user how GD expensive it is.

Cost the family a $10 copayment. :lol: Tough kid. Never complained. The mom was incendiary hot with green eyes. She liked to flirt because she knew how good looking she was. No idiotic hijab either. ;)

By ra way the PREVENTIVE vaccine is not nearly as expensive but only works BEFORE exposure. RAB is prepared from plasmapharesis of known high immunity donors so you can't just go line up a bunch of homeless guys. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:28 am 
Sergeant Major

By ra way, Nero, another idiotic America is bad post comparing apples and oranges. Happy Sunday.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:31 am 
Sergeant Major

As I recall, the tray of RAB cost $1200

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:14 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Thanks for the informative post, Doc. 8-)

Nero should know better, posting articles from a known journalistic shithole like Vox.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1834
jack t ripper wrote:
By ra way, Nero, another idiotic America is bad post comparing apples and oranges. Happy Sunday.

Apples and oranges: £0 != $10000.

Where are the untruths or rather alternative facts? :roll:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:10 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 11978
Quote:
CostHelper > Health & Personal Care > Vaccinations > Rabies Vaccine
Rabies Vaccine Cost
How Much Does Rabies Vaccine Cost?

average cost With Insurance: $40-$160 high cost Without Insurance: $500-$1,200+
post E-mail post Post
Comments (49)

Rabies pre-exposure vaccination typically is recommended for travelers who plan activities that will bring them into contact with wild or domestic animals, or who will be visiting remote areas where medical care might be difficult to obtain or who plan to stay longer than one month in areas where dog rabies is common, such as in developing countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America.

Typical costs:

For patients not covered by health insurance, the cost of a rabies vaccination typically includes: a consultation fee, sometimes shot administration fees, and the cost of the three required doses of vaccine for a total of $500 to $1,200. For example, at the Michigan State University Travel Clinic[1] , the cost of a rabies vaccination is at least $35 to $95 for a consultation, depending on how long it lasts; $20 for shot administration ($15 for each additional shot) and $200 each for the three required shots for a total of at least $685. And at Baylor Travel Medicine in Texas, an initial consultation costs $85 to $150, depending on the complexity of the patient's travel itinerary and medical history; a follow-up appointment to administer the vaccine costs $25 to $85; and the vaccine cost is $325 each for a total of at least $1,110.
Travel-related vaccinations, such as the rabies vaccination, often are not covered by health insurance because they are considered elective; however, some plans with preventive benefits do cover them.
For patients covered by health insurance, typical expenses include a copay of $10 to $40 for the doctor visit and a copay for each dose of the vaccine. For example, this BlueCare Direct HMO[2] covers vaccinations, including those needed for travel, for a $20 copay.

(Continued)
http://health.costhelper.com/rabies-vaccine.html
But the comments seem to say otherwise.

Locally, here in Thailand I had to get two series, not expensive at government hospital, a Thai would pay next to nothing, expats are charged more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:30 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
jack t ripper wrote:

Apples and oranges: £0 != $10000.

Where are the untruths or rather alternative facts? :roll:

The "untruth" is the story you cited.

Here is what the CDC says ...typical cost for post-exposure prophylaxis (adult) is about $3000. This includes ER/clinic costs, the cost of Rabies Immune Globulin AND the preventive vaccine. Depending on the severity of the exposure this is about 8 total shots spread out over two weeks.

That maps out with what I told you. Our medical group paid the Orange County Health Dept $1200 for a tray of the RAB. There was a little left over because of the weight of the 6 year old. The patient had an HMO insurance so they paid $10 per doctor visit and ZERO to see the nurse only. The medical group may have been reimbursed by the health plan but we probably had to fight with the bastards for two years.

Now, this new high tech HyperRAB is probably more but it is for special circumstances like a high risk wound with devitalized tissue where the vaccine has to be literally infiltrated at the wound site.

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/usa/cost.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Rabies vaccine is a BARGAIN compared to vaccine against RSV for premies.

The stuff is manufactured from genetically modified bacteria because it is impossible to find enough antibody in people walking around the street. That crap probably IS $10,000 a dose.

Don't look for RSV vaccine in Cuba, however. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:33 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14720
Nero is a rabid dumbass.

Profile E-mail