maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: We Wuz Superheroes N Shiet
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:49 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 17657
Why does everything have to have a political agenda nowadays? It's a movie about superheroes for fucks sake. Shame, I used to really enjoy the Black Panther comic books back in the 70's. I expect it will get a 100 % critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes regardless whether it is any good or not.

Quote:
The first reactions to Black Panther promise a game-changing movie for Marvel

The first reactions promise a fantastic movie and one that might change the genre.

Marvel’s superhero movies have always strived to represent the best of us. But while Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man, and their colleagues have always exemplified ideals when it comes character, intellect, physical strength, etc., Marvel’s movie heroes so far haven’t represented the best of all of us.

The hard truth is that there have been 17 Marvel movies (including Spider-Man: Homecoming, Marvel’s joint venture with Sony), and none of them have had a woman or person of color as the titular or central character. That will finally change with Black Panther, the first Marvel movie about a black superhero. (Marvel Studios didn’t own the rights to Blade until 2013.) And judging by the first reactions to film, which had its world premiere Monday night, it’s a milestone many fans are more than ready to see Marvel pass.

One of the most prominent reactions among those who saw the film — aside from how awesome the movie is — was the feeling that they were seeing themselves onscreen for the first time.

If you don’t understand the power of representation, imagine growing up never seeing a superhero who looks like you. When American Girl dolls came out I always picked Addy who had to escape slavery. But now kids have #BlackPanther’s Nakia, Shuri and Okoye. Dope on many levels.
— Natasha Alford ✊ ‍ (@NatashaSAlford) January 30, 2018

Several viewers stressed that the movie showed how important and integral identity is to the human spirit:

BLACK PANTHER is incredible, kinetic, purposeful. A superhero movie about why representation & identity matters, and how tragic it is when those things are denied to people. The 1st MCU movie about something real; Michael B. Jordan’s Killmonger had me weeping and he’s the VILLAIN
— jen yamato (@jenyamato) January 30, 2018

Black Panther was STUNNING. The movie itself tackles a lot of different issues, including a complex villain and the moral struggles that come with being king.
And it truly showed the strength of black women THE ENTIRE TIME.#BlackPanther
— Dani Fernandez (@msdanifernandez) January 30, 2018

Black Panther is a new high for Marvel on so many levels: the richest exploration of identity and strength and privilege, the deepest bench of complex women, and I think the MCU’s most tragic villain. The atmosphere in the screening room was so charged.
— Emma Dibdin (@emmdib) January 30, 2018

In the comic books, T’Challa, a.k.a. Black Panther, is king of a fictional African country called Wakanda. Within the Marvel universe, Wakanda is one of the most technologically advanced countries on the planet (if not the most), one that has repelled every attempt at invasion — including intergalactic ones — from anyone silly enough to think they could defeat the Wakandan forces.

Pride, power, and grace are synonymous to Wakanda and its king. That’s a big part of what makes Black Panther so powerful, since these kinds of depictions of black identity — superheroes, royalty, geniuses, warriors who have never been colonized — have so rarely been seen in mainstream pop culture up to this point.

Seeing all the rave #BlackPanther reviews & realizing that as a kid I only had the occasional Dean Thomas & Storm cameos

Even under Trump, today’s kids are getting

- Black Panther
- A Wrinkle In Time
- T.H.U.G.
- Children of Blood and Bone

And we’re just getting started
— Tomi Adeyemi (@tomi_adeyemi) January 30, 2018

When it comes to superhero movie first reactions, Black Panther’s included, they all tend to shout the same chorus: that it’s the best superhero movie ever. But in Black Panther’s case, there’s something deeper happening in how it’s inspired these sorts of reflections on the power of representation. It may be a good movie, but more importantly, it may also be a movie that changes the game.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/1/30/1 ... -reactions

Attachment:
1517418228984.jpg
1517418228984.jpg [ 75.78 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]

Attachment:
1517419634024.png
1517419634024.png [ 404.26 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]

Attachment:
1517419812376.jpg
1517419812376.jpg [ 88.79 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Last edited by Mac on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: We Wuz Superheroes N Shiet
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:52 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 5507
Awesome, the first Marvel movie I have been given permission to miss.

Guardians jumped the shark as well, I look forward to Disney's backlash.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17509

Look at that eyelash. Gesh. Guess I'm supposed to be looking at her tits and nappy tatoo whatever.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:09 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 17657
I wonder if the movie will mention the fact that the fictional country of Wakanda keeps a strict border policy because they neighbor a place called Niganda that wants to steal all their shit. And no I'm not making that up. :lol:

Attachment:
1517421585442.jpg
1517421585442.jpg [ 655.79 KiB | Viewed 691 times ]

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Niganda

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:18 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17509
Niganda puhleez.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:19 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
"Niganda"? Wait, that's a joke, right?

I would go see the movie but I already have tickets to the "Twelve Years a Slave" marathon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14720
Always entertaining to read about African American fantasies about Africanness :)

I challenge ANY uppity African American person to go live in ANY actual African nation for one year and then tell me they are more African American than they are AMERICAN. This includes Farrakhan and every other dumbass race baiter with high epidermal melanin content who was born American and dreams they possess some mythical roots to an imagined African identity.

The same applies to most 2nd or 3rd generation of well-assimilated Americans of any ethnicity/origin, it is just that the African segment is the most sanctimonious about it, and the disparity between reality and fantasy is arguably the largest of any American ethnic groups imagined mythic ethnic ancestry.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Mac wrote:

Attachment:
1517419812376.jpg

Wait, a black comic superhero created by a white guy?

Complaints about 'cultural appropriation' in 3.......2..........1

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:59 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
They act as if this is the first big film with a black superhero in it.

I mean.. Blade came out about 20 fucking years ago and was what kicked off this whole big budget superhero movie parade in the first place.

Get over your damn fragility & racial melodrama, and get on with your lives like others have been. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:52 pm 
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth

Reputation points: 15843
So how many white girls will da black panther be fucking? Nappy head 'hos need not apply.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next