maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Could you BE any more triggered?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:08 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 17657
Milliienials are having a bit of a problem with reruns of Friends on Netflix...

Quote:
They promised they’d be there for us. Instead they betrayed us. Our friends at Friends sat on a sofa of lies. They sipped lattes of hate. Knowing what we know now, the Central Perk logo was the swastika of its time. Could this show be any more white supremacist?

Having been given a new life on Netflix two decades after it debuted on NBC in 1994, Friends is being seen by a suspicious new generation with beady new eyes. Those eyes are more determined to find something to be offended by than anyone was in the 1990s, when the Paul Reveres fighting the political-correctness revolution were already warning you, “The idiocy is coming! The idiocy is coming!” “

Millennials watching Friends on Netflix shocked by storylines,” ran the headline of a piece by Ilana Kaplan, writing from New York for the Independent. Examples of the kinds of things Millennials apparently find shocking: “New audiences claimed that Rachel would have been fired for sexual harassment because she hires an assistant who isn’t qualified for the position because she wants to date him.” Fat jokes — “Some girl ate Monica!” cried Joey (Matt LeBlanc) — are also now out of bounds, the Independent huffs.

Using the royal “we” for extra authority, Cosmopolitan writer Katie Stow says “the show is getting ripped to shreds for its ‘problematic’ content and — even as hardcore fans — we can’t help but agree,” scoring the sitcom for “chucking offensive and inappropriate hand grenades all over every episode.” This must be the first time in recorded history that anyone compared Friends’ cutesy banter to hand grenades.

Working up a Cory Booker level of manufactured anger, Buzzfeed calls Friends “F***ing Infuriating,” citing among other transgressions the episode where Ross is taken aback when his son plays with a Barbie doll, the way everyone mocks Joey when he likes girly stuff, and “the homophobic and transphobic jokes about Chandler’s dad,” who was referred to on the show as a “drag queen,” named Helena Handbasket, and played by Kathleen Turner.

“I have binge-watched Friends,” says Lauren Smith of Thought Catalog in a particularly weepy confessional, adding, “I feel flooded with guilt afterwards” and “every episode leaves me cringing” because of the “blatant misogyny, homophobia, body-shaming, and — despite being set in the most racially diverse city in the world — the whitest cast you’ve ever seen.”

In the Globe and Mail, John Doyle asks, “Is nostalgia for Friends all about white privilege?” citing a chat-show appearance in which Oprah Winfrey suggested there should be a black friend. “It didn’t happen,” Doyle says. “When Winfrey made the remark, Friends ranked third overall in the U.S. Nielsen ratings, yet sat at 111th out of 140 prime-time network shows in black households.” The smoking gun!

Over at Salon, we learn that Chandler (Matthew Perry) “is the worst, and he’s also pretty homophobic,” while Slate calls Chandler’s treatment of his father “appalling.”

Let’s break down these complaints.

Rachel was a workplace sexual harasser. That was a female-empowerment storyline suggesting women can turn the tables on men, both by being the boss and by using their power to seduce. Not that many men would complain about being sexually harassed by Jennifer Aniston.

The show was white-privileged/non-diverse/just plain racist. Almost nothing about Friends reflected reality — not the airplane-terminal size of the living room, not the setup-punchline dialogue, not the farcical situations — except for its homogeneity. New York City in the 1990s (and today) may be a diverse city, but go to any restaurant in Manhattan and report back on what you see. White people still mainly hang out with white people. Black people still mainly hang out with black people. Moreover, as on Friends, people further sort themselves out by education, age, and even job category: Twentysomething professionals from selective colleges mainly hang out with other twentysomething professionals from selective colleges. The show is called Friends, not Crash.

Friends is homophobic, or transphobic. The word “transphobic” barely existed in the 1990s because everyone thought transvestites were hilarious, including the transvestites themselves, who embraced the term “drag queen.” The word “transgender” was barely used either, and the storyline about Chandler’s dad was about the son’s growing acceptance. If you can’t see the humor in the situation, you wouldn’t make much of a comedy writer. As for the “homophobia,” the show’s co-creator David Crane, who wrote many episodes, is gay. Did he hate himself? Did he employ writers who hated him? It’s okay to make fun of your own tribe, but anyway what Friends did was find comedy in all the discomfort with homosexuality, just as black comics mine racism for comedy. The show won a GLAAD Media Award in 1996 for the way it handled the lesbian affair of Ross’s (David Schwimmer’s) ex-wife. The (over)use of gay-panic jokes involving Chandler and Joey may be hackery, but it isn’t hateful.

Monica was fat-shamed. Please. Courteney Cox in a fat suit is comedy gold. And Monica’s battle with her weight led to the single best joke in the history of Friends, when everyone looked at a prom video of Monica. “The camera adds ten pounds!” she said. Replied Chandler, “So how many cameras were actually on you?”

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... ix-viewers

Best not tell them about the one where Ross dressed up in blackface...

Attachment:
1516391405948.jpg
1516391405948.jpg [ 27.65 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Could you BE any more triggered?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:19 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14720
SOME millenials. Only SOME.

PewDiePie is a "millenial" . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:25 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Quote:
Not that many men would complain about being sexually harassed by Jennifer Aniston.

:lol: Yes, I'll take one for the team

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:39 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Quote:
Using the royal “we” for extra authority, Cosmopolitan writer Katie Stow says “the show is getting ripped to shreds for its ‘problematic’ content and — even as hardcore fans — we can’t help but agree,” scoring the sitcom for “chucking offensive and inappropriate hand grenades all over every episode.” This must be the first time in recorded history that anyone compared Friends’ cutesy banter to hand grenades.

"Problematic"

Been seeing that term used increasingly often, lately, in Social Marxists' denouncements.

More Orwellian speak. A new substitute for terms such as "racist" and "nazi", now that they've made them so meaningless, and attempts to downplay their own ideology's virulent intolerance of Wrong Think.

Yep..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:42 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Anthropoid wrote:
SOME millenials. Only SOME.

PewDiePie is a "millenial" . . .

Ehhh. I dunno, he's pretty young. Seems closer to "Gen Z". Skirting the edge perhaps.

But, yes, some.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:44 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14720
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

Quote:
There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years. Millennials are sometimes referred to as "echo boomers" due to a major surge in birth rates in the 1980s and 1990s, and because millennials are often the children of the baby boomers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PewDiePie
Quote:
Felix Arvid Ulf Kjellberg[5] (/ˈʃɛlbɜːrɡ/ SHEL-burg;[6] Swedish: [ˈfeːlɪks ²ɕɛlːˌbærj] (About this sound listen);[7] born 24 October 1989), known online as PewDiePie (/ˈpjuːdipaɪ/ PEW-dee-py), is a Swedish web-based comedian and video producer.

Pewds will be 30 in a couple years. He is a millennial, right smack in the middle of the cohort.

ADDIT: the sociology of Western demographic cohorts is not a specialty of mine. So I cannot comment on the veracity of many or all the claims in this wiki on Generation Z (which it seems you would consider Pewdiepie to be a member). But on the whole it makes sense to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z
Quote:
According to Forbes (2015), the generation after Millennials, Generation Z, which they defined as people born from the mid 1990s to the early 2000s, made up 25%[39][40] of the U.S. population, making them a larger cohort than the Baby Boomers or Millennials.[39] Frank N. Magid Associates estimates that in the United States, 55% of Generation Z are non-Hispanic whites, 24% are Hispanic, 14% are African-American, 4% are Asian, and 4% are multiracial or other.[41]

Generation Z are predominantly the children of Generation X,[42][43][44] but they also have parents who are Millennials.[45] According to the marketing firm Frank N. Magid they are "the least likely to believe that there is such a thing as the American Dream" because "Generation X, the most influential parents of Plurals (Generation Z), demonstrates the least credence in the concept of the American Dream among adult generations."[41] According to Public Relations Society of America, the Great Recession has taught Generation Z to be independent, and has led to an entrepreneurial desire, after seeing their parents and older siblings struggle in the workforce.[46]

A 2013 survey by Ameritrade found that 47% of Generation Z in the United States (considered here to be those between the ages of 14 and 23) were concerned about student debt, while 36% were worried about being able to afford a college education at all.[47] This generation is faced with a growing income gap and a shrinking middle-class, which all have led to increasing stress levels in families.[48]

Both the September 11 terrorist attacks and the Great Recession have greatly influenced the attitudes of this generation in the United States. Since even the oldest members of Generation Z were young children or not yet born when the 9/11 attacks occurred, there is no generational memory of a time the United States was not at war with the loosely defined forces of global terrorism.[49][50] Turner suggests it is likely that both events have resulted in a feeling of unsettlement and insecurity among the people of Generation Z with the environment in which they were being raised. The economic recession of 2008 is particularly important to historical events that have shaped Generation Z, due to the ways in which their childhoods may have been affected by the recession's shadow; that is, the financial stresses felt by their parents.[51] Although the Millennials experienced these events during their coming of age, Generation Z lived through them as part of their childhood, affecting their realism and world-view.[52]

A 2014 study Generation Z Goes to College found that Generation Z students self-identify as being loyal, compassionate, thoughtful, open-minded, responsible, and determined.[53] How they see their Generation Z peers is quite different from their own self-identity. They view their peers as competitive, spontaneous, adventuresome, and curious; all characteristics that they do not see readily in themselves.[53] In addition, some authors consider that some of their competencies, such as reading competence, are being transformed due to their familiarity with digital devices, platforms and texts.[54]

A 2016 U.S. study found that church attendance during young adulthood was 41% among Generation Z, compared to 18 percent for Millennials at the same ages, 21 percent of Generation X, and 26 percent of baby boomers.[55]

Generation Z is generally more risk-averse in certain activities than earlier generations. In 2013, 66% of teenagers (older members of Generation Z) had tried alcohol, down from 82% in 1991. Also in 2013, 8% of Gen. Z teenagers never or rarely wear a seat belt when riding in a car with someone else, as opposed to 26% in 1991.[52]

[I have two nephews and a niece and one "God daughter" who are all in this cohort, and it is amazing how well the "characteristics" of this cohort are reflected in that handful of individuals I know. Not all the factors, but many.]

Research from the Annie E. Casey Foundation conducted in 2016 found Generation Z youth had lower teen pregnancy rates, less substance abuse, and higher on-time high school graduation rates compared with Millennials. The researchers compared teens from 2008 and 2014 and found a 40% drop in teen pregnancy, a 38% drop in drug and alcohol abuse, and a 28% drop in the percentage of teens who did not graduate on time from high school.[56][57]

According to The Daily Telegraph, Generation Z is keen to look after their money and make the world a better place. In a quote by journalist Harry Wallop, he states, "Unlike the older Gen Y, they are smarter, safer, more mature and want to change the world.”

Profile E-mail