maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: This is not a drill!....Oops...sorry
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:55 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
25 minute warning could save tens of thousands. It would save most of the military because they would have better access to protection. Even if you were in downtown Honolulu you could hide in the basements of the big buildings and you might survive.

NUKEMAP calculator 100 kt (yield of US sea launched ICBM warheads)..air burst

123K immediate fatalities

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:00 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13856
NefariousKoel wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
Honestly, if there were an actual DPRK ballistic missile that was suspect of being armed with a nuclear weapon and which was suspected of having a trajectory to strike U.S. territory, I would entertain the possibility that the best approach would be to QUIETLY notify certain Federal and State officials and/or disaster-preparedness organizations, launch the interdiction missiles and hope the story to be told in 12 hours will be of a foiled attack.

Distributing an alert via mobile device is probably just about the most useless and stupid effort to promote public welfare in response to a suspected nuclear attack.

Some people would be fucked, but early warning could still help blast fringers.

True. But . . . bedlam and gridlock on the roads might well kill MORE.

Probably the safest thing for anyone in an impending nuclear blast zone to do is to get underground. Ideally that would mean in a specially prepared shelter for the purpose (complete with airtight seals and some form of filtering ventilation system to remove particles from outside air as breathing air is fed into the shelter) and including rations, medicine, weapons, etc.

In the 1950s, many American households fashioned exactly these kinds of things in their backyards/basements. In fact, it was done in Europe (and probably Russia?) too. If we were in the midst of a similar international relations dynamic, and citizens of Hawaii, Guam, Alaska, the Western U.S. could be encouraged to build/pay for fallout shelters (as well as good preparatory advice and proper protocols for how to respond to an alert of impending attack), then yes: early warning could well make a salutary difference in overall casualties.

But early warning for this type of attack in a context which is decidedly NOT socially-prepared for nuclear war is probably not going to be more salutary, and may well cause more harm than it prevents. Especially in the case of false alarms.

jack t ripper wrote:
25 minute warning could save tens of thousands. It would save most of the military because they would have better access to protection. Even if you were in downtown Honolulu you could hide in the basements of the big buildings and you might survive.

THAT is an amazing app! Dammit! I want to make something like that :P

I modeled a 150kt blast at Dobbins Air Reserve Base in Marietta (closest legit military target to me that I know of)

Assuming a general "alert" were issued to the entire metro area, the ensuing bedlam might well cause thousands of casualties (and enormous property damage) even if it turned out to be a false alarm. I would imagine the same is true for the Honolulu area.

ADDIT # 2:
jack t ripper wrote:

25 minute warning COULD save lives, IF the population are well-prepared to act accordingly. In the absence of proper preparation to act accordingly, the actual harm might be WORSE as a result of early warning (even in the event of an actual attack) and certainly in the event of a false alarm.

What exactly is the average urban dweller in a high-rise in Honolulu going to do with 25 minutes of warning? Very likely the answer to that question is "run like a chicken with its head cut off" and when you have hundreds of thousands of people doing THAT, that is not "promoting public health," and it probably isn't making them any safer in the face of an actual nuclear attack either.

Last edited by Anthropoid on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Bomb shelter song....Steely Dan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:26 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 17020
Minute Man silo doors were sliding open. President Trump almost launched our response.

Close call.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:45 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 16797
I wonder if Kim Dong shat himself.

Attachment:
1515879163725.jpg
1515879163725.jpg [ 58.51 KiB | Viewed 228 times ]

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

The worse thing about this is nobody can blame it on Trump :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
The worse thing about this is nobody can blame it on Trump :lol:

Hold on...wait..I'm getting something on the Mk VII superheterodyne set...yes...someone named Jamie Lee Curtis

Quote:
Jamie Lee Curtis
✔ @jamieleecurtis

This Hawaii missle scare is on YOU Mr. Trump. The real FEAR that mothers & fathers & children felt is on YOU. It is on YOUR ARROGANCE. HUBRIS. NARCISSISM. RAGE. EGO. IMMATURITY and your UNSTABLE IDIOCY. Shame on your hate filled self. YOU DID THIS!

12:24 PM - Jan 13, 2018

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:47 pm 
Sergeant Major

What a fucking retard. The PRK has been building nukes since the Clinton administration and the Chicoms gave them the parts and plans for the missiles. The PRK has been murdering thousands in concentration camps for decades.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:53 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 16797
jack t ripper wrote:
Jamie Lee Curtis
✔ @jamieleecurtis

This Hawaii missle scare is on YOU Mr. Trump. The real FEAR that mothers & fathers & children felt is on YOU. It is on YOUR ARROGANCE. HUBRIS. NARCISSISM. RAGE. EGO. IMMATURITY and your UNSTABLE IDIOCY. Shame on your hate filled self. YOU DID THIS!

12:24 PM - Jan 13, 2018

What a twat. She's getting slaughtered in the comments...

https://twitter.com/jamieleecurtis/stat ... 6346388481

Still, great rack though. ;)

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

:lol:

Profile E-mail