maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tax reform
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:01 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8391
I won't know the full impact of the changes until I file for 2018 in 2019. However, so far, so good. I guess I'm supposed to be upset because the tax changes aren't "permanent". I'm not.
I am sorry that they didn't take the opportunity to radically change and streamline the tax system - but that's never going to happen. At least not until after the Zombie Apocalypse.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:36 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
CatLover7 wrote:
I won't know the full impact of the changes until I file for 2018 in 2019. However, so far, so good. I guess I'm supposed to be upset because the tax changes aren't "permanent". I'm not.
I am sorry that they didn't take the opportunity to radically change and streamline the tax system - but that's never going to happen. At least not until after the Zombie Apocalypse.

Nero can’t wait that long for your full response. ;-)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:45 pm 
Sergeant Major

Yes, there may never be a better opportunity but you have to deal with the Congressional Budget Office and static modeling and you have to deal with Lefty media who say idiotic things like "How are we going to PAY for the tax cut?"....and you have to deal with idiots like Grammy Collins and Trump haters like Flake.

Still substantial progress was made in lowering rates and getting rid of the AMT and much lower corporate rates.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:
CatLover7 wrote:

Doesn't seem a little creepy that a guy from 10 time zones away is worried about Americans having a desire to lower tax rates? :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:11 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8391
jack t ripper wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

Doesn't seem a little creepy that a guy from 10 time zones away is worried about Americans having a desire to lower tax rates? :lol:

For sure. I know I don't give a rat's ass about his tax rate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:13 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
jack t ripper wrote:

Many in the EU are shitting the bed because a lowered corporate tax rate in the US means they'll experience more competition for business investment & interests.

I don't blame them for being worried. Parts of our economy moved to foreign territory over decades of shitty trade deals and dissuasive tax & regulation increases. Now that some of those disincentives are being rolled back under Trump, some interests will certainly be thinking of moving operations.

Shipping prices keep going up, so the closer you are to the majority of your customer base, the more fat gets cut - if you're not getting reamed by the politicians, there, squeezing too much out of you.

Nero's parotting the EU's economic viewpoint. It will create more economic competition for them than they had been experiencing. ;) I wouldn't be surprised if the EU Merkelreich started trying to come up with more import tariff and VAT nonsense in an attempt to threaten corporate moves.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:25 pm 
Sergeant Major

The EU literally fined Ireland for not taxing Apple enough. Maybe they can try that on Trump?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:44 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
Wait a minute. "How are we going to pay?" is an excellent question. The tax law change should be accompanied by a corresponding decrease in defense spending -- especially in the areas of operations and overseas basing.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:25 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14720
Mercantilism you Europhile bitches! Suck it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:13 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13552
Quote:
... especially in the areas of operations and overseas basing ..

I agree with reducing overseas basing ... I agree with downsizing ... but I do not agree with reducing training expense. We should actually increase training spending per service member ... and have less service members. A small highly trained force is more effective than a large untrained one. And the citizens are already the large untrained force!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next