maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chernobyl nuclear explosion?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:12 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16925
The standard explanation at Chernobyl is that the reactor surged in power due to serious design and even more serious operator errors, blew it's top in a steam explosion, ejecting unbelievable amounts of radionuclides into the atmosphere and then the graphite caught on fire in a chemical reaction.

These researchers in Sweden, based on very short half-life Xenon isotopes found all the way up in St Petersburg...in quite a contrast the Xenon isotopes found in Sweden..suggest that the actual sequence was a small nuclear chain reaction explosion in some of the fuel channels, ejecting the radionuclide up into the atmosphere up to 3000 m where they were carried northward by different wind patterns...a second later there was a hydrogen explosion from the zirconium cladding of the fuel rods reacting with oxygen which ejected old fissions products into the lower atmosphere which were detected in Sweden.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10. ... 17.1384269

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Chernobyl nuclear explosion?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:38 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
Interesting!

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:42 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 15171
Finland too received fallout from the event.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:22 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 11164
Summary ...

Something went BOOOOM ...

Bad stuff leaked out ...

==

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:37 am 

jwilkerson wrote:
Summary ...

Something went BOOOOM ...

Bad stuff leaked out ...

==

Only according to saboteurs and fascist capitalist bourgeois spies and liars!

Only in decadent fascist West where everything is run for profit do nuclear plants explode and fail, which is then covered up. Built by people for the people the Yuu Ess Ass Aar's nyucular plants are the safest in the world.

Back to work. Thyat mushroom cloud, thyat nothing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

The thing is, how many times have we been told that there can't BE a nuclear explosion in a reactor?

--nearly instantaneous increase in power by 100 fold
--freshly created fission products ejected 3000 m into the air
--20 inches of stainless steel melted like butter
--bright blue flash (neutron flux)

That sounds like an explosion to me too. Seems to me the reactor designers failed to anticipate this. Good thing the Russkis have such a concern for industrial safety.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:52 pm 
Sergeant Major

Kameolontti wrote:
Finland too received fallout from the event.

Don't worry. There are still 4 operational Chernobyl type reactors in St Petersburg and 3 in Smolensk..but they fixed everything. :lol: ;)

RBMK reactors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RBMK

Get this...the Russians KNEW about the design flaw of the emergency control rods to accidentally INCREASE power in the lower part of the reactor transiently ("positive SCRAM effect") and they chose not to fix it. :shock: The chief designer committed suicide because nobody would listen to him.

It's like a Jane Fonda movie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:05 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:19 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 14634
jack t ripper wrote:

That sounds like an explosion to me too. Seems to me the reactor designers failed to anticipate this. Good thing the Russkis have such a concern for industrial safety.

Oh, the Soviets cut corners, as so often happened with their engineering endeavors.

There was also human error directly involved. At least one guy was dismissed for trying to bring attention of the problems to his superior. Who was a Party-man/appointee looking for end results and less consideration otherwise.

There's a really good doc on Chernobyl out there somewhere. I watched it within the last few years. Damn interesting. I think it was made somewhere in the past decade.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:45 am 

jack t ripper wrote:
The thing is, how many times have we been told that there can't BE a nuclear explosion in a reactor?

--nearly instantaneous increase in power by 100 fold
--freshly created fission products ejected 3000 m into the air
--20 inches of stainless steel melted like butter
--bright blue flash (neutron flux)

Nuclear reactor does the same things as a bomb does. It splits or merges atoms (Coming Soon!), a bomb is optimized for instant energy release, a reactor is optimized for sustained energy release that won't damage the reactor itself too rapidly.

The reactor needs to achieve a critical mass for the nuclear reaction to keep going. The problem is when this reaction accelerates and gets out of hand. Now, if you are some Russian who thought that you'll never really need the system that can stop it dead in it's tracks, then you're in trouble.

You have all sorts of closed systems, high pressure systems etc. in there. We all have experience with what happens when you heat the liquid contents of a high pressure system too long. It becomes a cannon, a cylinder shaped liquid container that was originally built to house the high pressures of nuclear reactor's turbine systems, when that thing blows up it's a little bit bigger than your household water boiler blowing up - and even a water boiler blowing up is an explosion, so this is going to be one big explosion.

But the difference is that it's not optimized to be a weapon. To make a nuclear weapon you need precision. You need timing. You need to use explosives or similar high force to smack the reaction mass all together with high precision to detonate it effectively.

So, most reactor failures are not nuclear detonations in the same sense. There will be explosions for sure but they tend to be secondary nature, stuff blowing up because you've got a reactor mass causing a meltdown as it's run out of control and reaching thousands of degrees of temperature. It will emit radiation and neutrons like mad but it isn't a nuclear explosion. It is too inefficient of a reaction for that.

This is why it actually takes a decent amount of effort and engineering to build a real nuclear weapon and why having a nuclear reactor doesn't equate to having that technological capacity. Technological capacity means you can literally build the bomb and it will work. Having an idea of how to go about making a bomb isn't technological capacity until you've solved all the issues.

Profile E-mail