maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Possible Military Coup In Zimbabwe
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:18 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17050
It was Ian Smith who came up with the phrase, One man, one vote, once.

He wasn't exactly wrong either.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:30 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16211
EUBanana wrote:
It was Ian Smith who came up with the phrase, One man, one vote, once.

He wasn't exactly wrong either.

Yup.

10 year old article: Ian Smith has sadly been proven right

When I went to Africa, I wasn't very interested in the question of why Botswana seems to have been the only sub-Saharan post-colonial nation that didn't suffer a catastrophic breakdown, but given how many of these old basket cases just keep on foundering and failing to achieve a healthy trajectory it is an interesting question. I think it was a number of factors:
1. Small population and enormous territory.
2. Mineral wealth was expected, but was only just being prospected at the time of independence.
3. Quiet backwater during colonial times, "benign neglect" more than malicious exploitation and oppression.
4. Many features of Setswana culture (the dominant ethnic group in the country), which are too numerous to list, but probably the most notable is: they appear to have had quite a deep tradition of "voting" to use that term loosely.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:46 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 20000
Mugabe resigns...

Quote:
Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe has resigned, parliament speaker Jacob Mudenda has said.

A letter from Mr Mugabe said that the decision was voluntary and that he had made it to allow a smooth transfer of power, the Reuters news agency reports.

The surprise announcement halted an impeachment hearing that had begun against him.

Lawmakers roared in jubilation and people have begun celebrating in the streets.

Mr Mugabe had previously refused to resign despite last week's military takeover and days of protests.

He has been in power since independence in 1980. Mr Mugabe has won elections, but over the past 15 years these have been marred by violence against political opponents.

He has presided over a deepening economic crisis in Zimbabwe, where people are on average 15% poorer now than they were in 1980.

What triggered the moves to oust him was his dismissal of Emmerson Mnangagwa as vice-president two weeks ago.

That decision was seen by many as clearing the way for Mr Mugabe's wife, Grace, to succeed her husband as leader. It riled the military leadership, who stepped in and put Mr Mugabe under house arrest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42071488

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:53 pm 
Sergeant Major

It seems the people of Zimbabwe did not want the wife of a seemingly interminable President to take over either. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

Mac wrote:
Mugabe resigns...

Quote:
Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe has resigned, parliament speaker Jacob Mudenda has said.

A letter from Mr Mugabe said that the decision was voluntary and that he had made it to allow a smooth transfer of power, the Reuters news agency reports.

The surprise announcement halted an impeachment hearing that had begun against him.

Lawmakers roared in jubilation and people have begun celebrating in the streets.

Mr Mugabe had previously refused to resign despite last week's military takeover and days of protests.

He has been in power since independence in 1980. Mr Mugabe has won elections, but over the past 15 years these have been marred by violence against political opponents.

He has presided over a deepening economic crisis in Zimbabwe, where people are on average 15% poorer now than they were in 1980.

What triggered the moves to oust him was his dismissal of Emmerson Mnangagwa as vice-president two weeks ago.

That decision was seen by many as clearing the way for Mr Mugabe's wife, Grace, to succeed her husband as leader. It riled the military leadership, who stepped in and put Mr Mugabe under house arrest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42071488

That cartoon is hilarious.
And it seems to highlight the ignorance that led to turning the breadbasket of Africa into a basket case.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:33 pm 
Sergeant Major

This one seems to be performed by Australians?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:44 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18507
Quote:
How Robert Mugabe killed one of Africa's richest economies

So you're implying that, obviously, everything turns into shit when black ppl are in charge?

Why are you such a racist? :roll:

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:39 pm 
Sergeant Major

Having more melanin in one's skin does not obviate when one is a communist moron dictator!

The rulers in Botswana are models of good governance. I've posted interviews of several of their past Presidents on here before can refind if anyone wants.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:02 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
Having more melanin in one's skin does not obviate when one is a communist moron dictator!

The rulers in Botswana are models of good governance. I've posted interviews of several of their past Presidents on here before can refind if anyone wants.

I was going to point out Botswana as an example of someone who got it right.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:01 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18507
All the ppl taking a knee can move there then can't they. Nobody is stopping im. Where there's no racism. Or Algeria. Or wherever else they'd like to go fuck off to.

Move to Niger where all rights are equal and everyone eats dirt.

Fucking tiresome twits.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail