maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Possible Military Coup In Zimbabwe
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:18 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 11605
Reputation points: 17050
It was Ian Smith who came up with the phrase, One man, one vote, once.

He wasn't exactly wrong either.

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible Military Coup In Zimbabwe
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:30 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 12084
Location: inside your worst nightmare
Reputation points: 16211
EUBanana wrote:
It was Ian Smith who came up with the phrase, One man, one vote, once.

He wasn't exactly wrong either.


Yup.

10 year old article: Ian Smith has sadly been proven right

When I went to Africa, I wasn't very interested in the question of why Botswana seems to have been the only sub-Saharan post-colonial nation that didn't suffer a catastrophic breakdown, but given how many of these old basket cases just keep on foundering and failing to achieve a healthy trajectory it is an interesting question. I think it was a number of factors:
1. Small population and enormous territory.
2. Mineral wealth was expected, but was only just being prospected at the time of independence.
3. Quiet backwater during colonial times, "benign neglect" more than malicious exploitation and oppression.
4. Many features of Setswana culture (the dominant ethnic group in the country), which are too numerous to list, but probably the most notable is: they appear to have had quite a deep tradition of "voting" to use that term loosely.

_________________
Anthro's NSFW Thread


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible Military Coup In Zimbabwe
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:46 pm 
Offline
Gunnery Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:16 am
Posts: 6474
Location: The Cockney Paradise
Reputation points: 20000
Mugabe resigns...

Quote:
Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe has resigned, parliament speaker Jacob Mudenda has said.

A letter from Mr Mugabe said that the decision was voluntary and that he had made it to allow a smooth transfer of power, the Reuters news agency reports.

The surprise announcement halted an impeachment hearing that had begun against him.

Lawmakers roared in jubilation and people have begun celebrating in the streets.

Mr Mugabe had previously refused to resign despite last week's military takeover and days of protests.

He has been in power since independence in 1980. Mr Mugabe has won elections, but over the past 15 years these have been marred by violence against political opponents.

He has presided over a deepening economic crisis in Zimbabwe, where people are on average 15% poorer now than they were in 1980.

What triggered the moves to oust him was his dismissal of Emmerson Mnangagwa as vice-president two weeks ago.

That decision was seen by many as clearing the way for Mr Mugabe's wife, Grace, to succeed her husband as leader. It riled the military leadership, who stepped in and put Mr Mugabe under house arrest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42071488



_________________
I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible Military Coup In Zimbabwe
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:53 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 27911
Reputation points: 20000
It seems the people of Zimbabwe did not want the wife of a seemingly interminable President to take over either. :lol:

_________________
I haven't figured out how to the block thingy works but if anyone alters my posts I will become really, really angry and throw monkey poop out of my cage.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible Military Coup In Zimbabwe
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:07 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 31639
Location: West coast of the east coast
Reputation points: 20000
Mac wrote:
Mugabe resigns...

Quote:
Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe has resigned, parliament speaker Jacob Mudenda has said.

A letter from Mr Mugabe said that the decision was voluntary and that he had made it to allow a smooth transfer of power, the Reuters news agency reports.

The surprise announcement halted an impeachment hearing that had begun against him.

Lawmakers roared in jubilation and people have begun celebrating in the streets.

Mr Mugabe had previously refused to resign despite last week's military takeover and days of protests.

He has been in power since independence in 1980. Mr Mugabe has won elections, but over the past 15 years these have been marred by violence against political opponents.

He has presided over a deepening economic crisis in Zimbabwe, where people are on average 15% poorer now than they were in 1980.

What triggered the moves to oust him was his dismissal of Emmerson Mnangagwa as vice-president two weeks ago.

That decision was seen by many as clearing the way for Mr Mugabe's wife, Grace, to succeed her husband as leader. It riled the military leadership, who stepped in and put Mr Mugabe under house arrest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42071488





That cartoon is hilarious.
And it seems to highlight the ignorance that led to turning the breadbasket of Africa into a basket case.

_________________
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible Military Coup In Zimbabwe
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:33 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 12084
Location: inside your worst nightmare
Reputation points: 16211
This one seems to be performed by Australians?

_________________
Anthro's NSFW Thread


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible Military Coup In Zimbabwe
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:44 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:49 pm
Posts: 10469
Reputation points: 18507
Quote:
How Robert Mugabe killed one of Africa's richest economies


So you're implying that, obviously, everything turns into shit when black ppl are in charge?

Why are you such a racist? :roll:

_________________
This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible Military Coup In Zimbabwe
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:39 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 12084
Location: inside your worst nightmare
Reputation points: 16211
Having more melanin in one's skin does not obviate when one is a communist moron dictator!

The rulers in Botswana are models of good governance. I've posted interviews of several of their past Presidents on here before can refind if anyone wants.

_________________
Anthro's NSFW Thread


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible Military Coup In Zimbabwe
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:02 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 31639
Location: West coast of the east coast
Reputation points: 20000
Anthropoid wrote:
Having more melanin in one's skin does not obviate when one is a communist moron dictator!

The rulers in Botswana are models of good governance. I've posted interviews of several of their past Presidents on here before can refind if anyone wants.



I was going to point out Botswana as an example of someone who got it right.

_________________
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible Military Coup In Zimbabwe
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:01 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:49 pm
Posts: 10469
Reputation points: 18507
All the ppl taking a knee can move there then can't they. Nobody is stopping im. Where there's no racism. Or Algeria. Or wherever else they'd like to go fuck off to.

Move to Niger where all rights are equal and everyone eats dirt.

Fucking tiresome twits.

_________________
This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group