maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Possible Military Coup In Zimbabwe
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:54 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 11378
The funny thing is, and this is admittedly based on fairly limited experience on my part, the few African Americans whom I met in Africa clearly were weirded out by the dynamic. Many Americans with African ancestry imagine that there "is" such a thing as "African-ness." I suppose there is in a very general sense . . . bit like saying there is such a thing as "American-ness" (and generalizing to the entirety of North and South America . . . yeah, not much significant diversity in that bunch is there! :) ). Sadly it is a bit of a false nostalgia that many Americans with strong ethnic identities (but who are two or more generations removed from those ethnic origins) suffer from: a fanciful notion of another place filled with people like themselves and where everything they dislike about the other offensive chunks in the melting pot is boiled away . . . In general, I don't think Africans feel any special connection to people of color who are not from their own country, if not their own linguistic or ethnic group; and that is perhaps the most important thing. In Zimbabwe alone there are at least a dozen ethnic groups, though most of them are tiny in numbers . . .

Quote:
Zimbabwe has 16 official languages: Chewa, Tonga, Chibarwe, English, Kalanga, Koisan, Nambya, Ndau, Ndebele, Shangani, Shona, sign language, Sotho, Tonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa.[19] English is also one of the official language of Zimbabwe and is widely used in administration, law and schools, though less than 2.5%, mainly the white and Coloured (mixed race) minorities, consider it their native language. The rest of the population speak Shona (70%) and Ndebele (20%), Kalanga (2%), etc.

Shona, which is the language/ethnic group to which Mugabe belongs is the numerical majority in the country and Ndebele the next most common (about 1/5 the numbers of Shona. Every other the 16 ethnic/language groups are minorities and many reside in tiny enclaves that are the equivalent of reservations (though not all).

The same story plays out in virtually every nation on the African continent of which I'm aware: diversity but rarely with equality or mutual appreciation. The girl I dated was of half Shona and half Indian ancestry (well, probably more like 3/4 and 1/4 or thereabouts). Her folks had moved to Botswana from Zimbabwe before she was born (which would have been around 1978) but for some reason she attended boarding schools there, because apparently there are (or were at least) some exceptional upper crust boarding schools in Zimbabwe . . .

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail