maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 609 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: Election 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:49 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
jwilkerson wrote:
nero wrote:

... house did not finance the Wall ...

You do realize that the "wall" is not trumpf's idea ... it is a law passed by the US Congress, 12 years ago ...

Quote:
The bill was introduced on September 13, 2006 by Congressman Peter T. King, Republican of New York. In the House of Representatives, the Fence Act passed 283–138 on September 14, 2006.[2] On September 29, 2006 – the Fence Act passed in the Senate 80–19.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Fence_Act_of_2006

Correct, but that legislation prescribed for fencing in specific (and limited) areas:

Quote:
Amends the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 to direct the Secretary to provide at least two layers of reinforced fencing, installation of additional physical barriers, roads, lighting, cameras, and sensors extending: (1) from ten miles west of the Tecate, California, port of entry to ten miles east of the Tecate, California, port of entry; (2) from ten miles west of the Calexico, California, port of entry to five miles east of the Douglas, Arizona, port of entry (requiring installation of an interlocking surveillance camera system by May 30, 2007, and fence completion by May 30, 2008); (3) from five miles west of the Columbus, New Mexico, port of entry to ten miles east of El Paso, Texas; (4) from five miles northwest of the Del Rio, Texas, port of entry to five miles southeast of the Eagle Pass, Texas, port of entry; and (5) 15 miles northwest of the Laredo, Texas, port of entry to the Brownsville, Texas, port of entry (requiring fence completion from 15 miles northwest of the Laredo, Texas, port of entry to 15 southeast of the Laredo, Texas, port of entry by December 31, 2008).

https://www.congress.gov/bill/109th-con ... -bill/6061

IIRC, either last year or earlier this year, Congress approved additional funding for more wall to be built.

Neither the earlier legislation in 2006, nor what was recently passed, calls for or provides funding for a wall covering all or even most of the US-Mexico border.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:50 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 19628
Wait, you can just refuse to lose? Why didn't anyone tell Hillary this?

Quote:
Democratic candidate Stacey Abrams is not conceding the Georgia governor's race to Republican candidate Brian Kemp, arguing that the high stakes contest is too close to call with the possibility of a runoff next month.

Kemp is currently ahead of Abrams by nearly 68,000 votes with 99% of precincts reporting, according to CNN election results. But he only has 50.4% of the vote. If neither candidate receives 50%, there will be a runoff in early December.

"I'm here tonight to tell you votes remain to be counted. There's voices that are waiting to be heard," Abrams, who would be the nation's first black female governor, told supporters early Wednesday morning gathered in Atlanta.

Kemp told supporters he is confident of his victory.

"There are votes left to count. But we have a very strong lead. And folks, make no mistake, the math is on our side to win this election," he said.

According to a statement provided to CNN by her campaign, Abrams is holding off on conceding to see if a runoff is possible.

The campaign cited several specific places in the state that could play a role in a scenario to force the runoff, including three of the state's largest counties that "have reported only a portion of the votes that were submitted by early mail" and four other large counties that "have reported exactly 0 votes by mail," according to the campaign. Together, it said, the seven counties "are expected to return a minimum of 77,000 ballots."

"These counties also represent heavily-Democratic leaning constituencies, and the majority of those votes are anticipated to be for Stacey Abrams," the statement read. The campaign also said absentee ballots could make a difference.

"Across our state, folks are opening up the dreams of voters in absentee ballots, and we believe our chance for a stronger Georgia is just within reach," Abrams said Wednesday morning.

Voters rights issues have taken front and center in the the high-profile gubernatorial race between Kemp, the GOP secretary of state, and Abrams, a state representative.

Democrats have accused Kemp of a conflict of interest as he refused to step away from his post overseeing state elections while he campaigned for governor.

Last month, a federal judge ruled Georgia election officials had to stop rejecting absentee ballots with voters' signatures that didn't appear to match signatures on record.

On Sunday, Kemp's office opened an investigation into the Georgia Democratic Party for what it said was an attempted hack of the state's voter registration system, without providing proof. Georgia Democrats flatly denied the allegation.

He dismissed critics alleging that he weaponized state law to suppress the minority vote as "outside agitators."

A lawsuit filed Tuesday in a Georgia federal court by five state voters asked a judge to strip Kemp of his powers over the midterm election -- including any potential runoffs.

Voters in the Peach State also faced long lines and malfunctioning machines during Tuesday's vote.
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/07/poli ... index.html

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
Well, I agree a person should not be overseeing an election they themselves are running in ... :o

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

Some Democrats probably thought that 'resisting' the Kavanaugh SCOTUS appointment would be a good tactic for them going into the midterms.

How'd that work out?

Quote:
As of this writing, of all the races that have so far been called, every single Democrat in a swing state who voted against Kavanaugh has lost their Senate seat.

Claire McCaskill (D-MO) lost her Senate seat by six points Tuesday night. Prior to the confirmation battle, polls showed her statistically tied.

Joe Donnelly (D-IN) was leading or in a tied race pre-Kavanaugh; he lost by 9 points.

Heidi Hetikamp (D-ND) was down only by single digits pre-Kavanaugh; she lost by 11 points.

In Tennessee, until the Kavanaugh smear began, Democrat Phil Bredesden was leading Republican Rep. Marsha Blackburn in a race to replace retiring Republican Sen. Bob Corker. Post-Kavanaugh, Blackburn shot into the lead and never looked back. She won by 11 points.

In two races where it is still too close to call, incumbent Senate Democrats who refused to support Kavanaugh are currently behind in the vote count.

With 100 percent of votes counted, Florida Democrat Bill Nelson is down by nearly 35,000 votes and hoping an automatic machine recount mandated by state law will save him. But unless there was a tabulating error somewhere, and a big one, Nelson is going to lose.

Finally, in Montana, Democrat Jon Tester was a favorite to win by a 3 – 4 point percent margin. In fact, throughout the entire race, not a single poll showed him losing. As of Wednesday morning, though, and with 86 percent of precincts reporting, he is down 0.7 percent to Republican Matt Rosendale. Tester could still pull out a win, but this is much closer than anyone anticipated.

While he was no profile in courage throughout the confirmation process, the only Senate Democrat who ultimately voted to confirm Kavanaugh, Joe Manchin, squeaked out a 3.2 point win in West Virginia.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018 ... democrats/

I think that the Montana race with John Tester may have gone in his favor since the above article was published.

The Dem's tactics @ Kavanaugh seem to have backfired.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:11 pm 
Sergeant Major

Dan Crenshaw, the veteran who was mocked by SNL performer Nick Davidson, went on to an easy win in his election for the US House of Representatives:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018 ... big-texas/

Good on him and shame on NBC.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:17 pm 
Sergeant Major

Democrat Lesia Romanov, running for office in the Nevada state assembly, should feel a bit embarrassed today.
She lost her election to a brothel owner.........who was dead.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018 ... -election/

:lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:23 pm 
Sergeant Major

Nevada...where the living vote for the dead.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:33 pm 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
Nevada...where the living vote for the dead.

The “Chicago method” was corrupted somewhere along the way as it was making its way westward.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:47 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16086
Mac wrote:
Gump wrote:
From a purely strategic point of view this is probably the best outcome. the GOP can now blame gridlock on the clown show left instead of their own incompetence.

Trump will fuel his 2020 campaign based on the obstruction from the house.

Yup. As most of us already acknowledge it is pretty much perfect for him. I suppose that having control of both houses would be "better" in some ways. But with the Democrats "in control" of only the House, it is just enough rope for them to carry on business as usual, committing mass suicide.

Re: "The Wall" to me it is a non-issue. Not because I'm unconcerned about illegal invaders into the U.S. but because I have great difficulty imagining how a . . . what? 1,954 miles (3,145 km) long barrier can ever be properly manned, monitored and maintained in such a way that it actually achieves 75% efficacy averaged over a couple years. If Mexico were not in a state of war (meaning there are lots of desperate people) and were not infested with corrupt officials and narco crime lords, then a wall that was poorly manned, maintained and monitored might be sufficient to achieved 95% efficacy averaged over multiple years. But in the case of Mexico, I think not. There is a decades long set of traditions for illegal entry into the U.S. across that border, not to mention the even more extensive southern coastlines AND, the vast areas of viable wilderness landing strips.

I am just NOT convinced that you can effectively "stop" illegal entry into the U.S. on any border, using a peace-time voluntary military/police force and "affordable" upkeep. Of course it COULD be done, but doing it at a high level of efficacy would likely require a level of "alert" that we just simply are not willing to pay for.

The better strategy for interdicting illegal invaders are: (a) to address the financial "opportunities" which bring significant fractions of them; (b) charging those sovereignties which offer "Sanctuary" with appropriate Federal level crimes, and also forcing them to cooperate with law enforcement; (c) continued focus on interdicting the various trans-national criminal entities that thrive in the U.S. and have "headquarters" in MesoAmerica; (d) intervention into Mexico itself, which could take on myriad forms ranging from drone strikes on known narco-kingpin bases, to covert targetted operations; (e) pressure on Mexico to regulate ITS side of that border more effectively.

I have the impression that many of these measures are already underway and with the exception of the progress that could be achieved by (b) and (d) (which I think are NOT yet being done) I have the impression that a significant fraction of the more itinerant invaders may have already returned.

The Wall was perhaps an effective "symbol," and I'm not philosophically opposed to more secure borders. But I've never been convinced about the cost-effectiveness nor even the actual viability of it.

The illegal Latin American Invader problem in the U.S. can be solved and the rate of illegal invaders can be reduced to a very low, perhaps the lowest practicable level. But a "wall" never struck me as one of the more important aspects of such a solution.

ADDIT: re the issue of the "runoff," there are a lot of fairly "arcane" specifics that regulate the myriad of elections at all the various levels within our Republic from dog catcher all the way up to President, and it is frankly far too trivial and uninteresting to keep up with all of them, EVEN Georgia where I'm a resident!

@Mac: I think that piece you quoted may have a typo in it, as it says that the threshold for victory is 50%, and I think that it is in fact 51%. Not entirely sure, but it is bound to be SOMETHING along those lines. Basically, if the tally doesn't fit the specified threshold of a quorum, then either candidate has the option to call for a "runoff" . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:01 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228
Quote:
SELF-EVIDENT
105 Articles Cover Ilhan Omar's Win. Zero Cover Her Anti-Semitism, Finance Investigations, or Perjury Evidence
BY DAVID STEINBERG NOVEMBER 8, 2018 CHAT 108 COMMENTS

Ilhan Omar poses for selfies with supporters after her victory Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2018, in Minneapolis. (Mark Vancleave /Star Tribune via AP)

For two years, U.S. media has maintained a near-blackout on the specific evidence of Rep. Ilhan Omar's (D-Minnesota) disturbing character and legal issues. In the 18 hours after Omar was elected to replace Keith Ellison in MN Congressional District 5, the media left zero doubt as to why.

At approximately 3:00 p.m. EST on Wednesday, Google News was returning 105 links to the search term "Ilhan Omar" which had been posted since her victory. Those links are listed below.

Not one of the 105 linked articles presents the troubling evidence against Omar -- except, in two or three cases, to dismiss it without explanation.

In all of the links, Ilhan Omar is covered positively as a "history-making" symbol: The first Muslim woman elected to Congress, and a Somali refugee.

Here's a quick summary of Ilhan Omar's controversies: Can you identify a candidate in recent memory with a more disturbing set of skeletons?

(continued)

https://pjmedia.com/davidsteinberg/105- ... -evidence/
Isn't there an adage that goes 'Don't speak ill of a Muslim.'

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 609 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 61  Next