maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 609 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: Election 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:25 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 720
Anthropoid wrote:
nero wrote:
I know that by your standards 49.5% is extremely high. But in the Swedish election two months ago was 87.1%. Think about, what kind of Congress you would have with similar turnout? :roll:

Sweden is . . . what? One large city, half dozen small cities and then a couple hundred villages? What is that like, 8 or 10 million total Swedish citizens and only about 5 or 6 "registered" voters!?

You are such a scientifically deficient cricket bat.

There is auto-registration in Sweden. ;)

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:27 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6135
From a purely strategic point of view this is probably the best outcome. the GOP can now blame gridlock on the clown show left instead of their own incompetence. An endless target rich environment in which they can now play whack a clown till 2020.... You could couldn't ask for a more appealing group of targets....

I suspect Trump will find a way to get some things done by skillful negotiation... but first the clowns will have to perform their opening act....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
C_S wrote:
No vaping indoors passed. That's so dumb. I could sit in a room w/ a non smoker taking gigantic vapes of OG Kush Kush and unless they could see the vape cloud or see me take a vape - they wouldn't have a clue. Ppl are morons. And they're going to close the dog track. I wonder what will happen to thousands of now homeless, useless dogs? Oh well didn't think about that...

I'm happy w/ FL b/c we got rid of nelson, the idiot who wanted to build a 8 trillions bean tamorlando rail. Plus I've heard im interviewed, I think the guy's just a tiresome jerk. And also Desantis won. But everyone knew a cracka ass state like FL would never put a negro in charge right, nero.

Florida has an odd practice of combining various issues onto the ballot.
In this case they decided to combine offshore drilling and vaping:

Florida Amendment 9, Ban Offshore Oil and Gas Drilling and Ban Vaping in Enclosed Indoor Workplaces Amendment (2018)

:roll:

Voting vaping down means no offshore drilling in state waters (which if I recall are the waters out to 3 miles offshore).

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:53 pm 
Sergeant Major

There is room for a 3rd party:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:11 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 10157
A French article on Internet says that Trump wins a victory in those elections, because, knowing that he will lose the House of Representatives whatever he do, he decided to put pressure on some states, like Indiana, Dakota or Missouri, visiting them, to win there Senate seats. And that is what it happened, in those states, the Republican party won the elections for the Senate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:25 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 19628
Gump wrote:
From a purely strategic point of view this is probably the best outcome. the GOP can now blame gridlock on the clown show left instead of their own incompetence.

Trump will fuel his 2020 campaign based on the obstruction from the house.

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

My quick election summary and analysis:

US House:
2018 HOUSE RESULTS
Democrats
220(+27)
Republicans
196(-27)
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/elect ... se_top_50/

---The Dems took control in the House but will have an even smaller margin than the GOP did in the expiring Congress (235 Republican vs 193 Democrat).
---The chambers in Congress will be split (House Dem and Senate GOP). If Nancy Pelosi (or whoever they choose as Speaker) wants to get any legislation passed, she will be forced to work with the Senate---this should temper anything coming out of the House.
---We will probably see a flurry of subpoenas from the House, and while this will please some of the Dem supporters but many who voted for the Dems may grow tired at not seeing action being taken on things they actually care about (jobs, the economy)

2018 SENATE RESULTS
Democrats
46*(-3)
Republicans
52(+3)
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/elect ... 18/senate/

It looks like the GOP picked up 3 seats (the numbers add up to 98, so I guess they are either waiting on some races to be decided or there is some sort of special election pending).
---The GOP increased their margin in the Senate and Trump got some people that he spent time campaigning for so these successful candidates will probably be beholden to Trump. This should make it a little easier for Trump to get his appointments/judges confirmed.
---The Senate will serve as a check on attempts by the House in impeaching Trump

2018 GOVERNORS RESULTS
Democrats
23(+7)
Republicans
25(-7)
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/elect ... /governor/

---The Dems picked up governorships in 7 states (Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Michigan, New Mexico, Nevada & Wisconsin). Some of those were in "blue" states, some were in "red" states, and some were in swing states. It looks like there are still 2 races that have not been called yet(Alaska & Georgia)
---With the fact that the American electorate is so nearly evenly split, it should be no surprise that the pendulum swung back towards a more even sitatuation (23 Dems/25 Rep)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:34 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 720
Mac wrote:
Gump wrote:
From a purely strategic point of view this is probably the best outcome. the GOP can now blame gridlock on the clown show left instead of their own incompetence.

Trump will fuel his 2020 campaign based on the obstruction from the house.

Yeah, it was Trump's perfect strategy. If not the GOP controlled house did not finance the Wall, now the is the Donk House to blame.

The down side is the subpoena power of the House. But the Benghazi style investigation is unlikely, but more to give Mueller what is needed.

But then there are things about American politics, like this wall does not sound too unreasonable to me. And there was a deal available with a wall-daca agreement, Trump ear heard Miller's whispering. :roll:

But then there is the healthcare thing. The Obama-care is no good, Bernie has a better idea. ;)

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:44 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:
Think about this for a second---what brought out all these voters in an off year/midterm election?

It was Donald Trump (both for and against him).

Donald Trump is responsible for reactivating the American voters----Democracy Lives!

I know that by your standards 49.5% is extremely high. But in the Swedish election two months ago was 87.1%. Think about, what kind of Congress you would have with similar turnout? :roll:

Voter turnout in Florida was over 62%, and this was for a midterm/non-presidential election:
https://floridaelectionwatch.gov/CountyReportingStatus

Does Sweden have “midterm” elections (where they vote on the legislature but not the functional head of the government)?
If not, then you are comparing apples to oranges.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:36 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
nero wrote:

... house did not finance the Wall ...

You do realize that the "wall" is not trumpf's idea ... it is a law passed by the US Congress, 12 years ago ...

Quote:
The bill was introduced on September 13, 2006 by Congressman Peter T. King, Republican of New York. In the House of Representatives, the Fence Act passed 283–138 on September 14, 2006.[2] On September 29, 2006 – the Fence Act passed in the Senate 80–19.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Fence_Act_of_2006

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 609 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 61  Next