maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Viability of renewable energy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:27 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 11726
Reputation points: 17550
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/with ... _103.shtml

From the University of Cambridge no less.

Short answer : no way, pie in the sky, not possible, etc.

Unless Bussard was right we're screwed.

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Viability of renewable energy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:12 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:29 pm
Posts: 3674
Reputation points: 3518
EUBanana wrote:
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/withouthotair/c18/page_103.shtml

From the University of Cambridge no less.

Short answer : no way, pie in the sky, not possible, etc.

Unless Bussard was right we're screwed.


We're not screwed because we don't need it. Because global warming is a myth made up by people who want to tax us into extinction to fund their own pet projects or get us to be forced to buy products (like CFL's) that they have already invested in.

If it was real, we'd all be building nuclear reactors as the only possible means of stopping it.

Since we aren't, its a farce. There's no profit for greenies in nuclear reactors.

_________________
---------------------------------
"Our most effective response to terror is compassion, unity, and love" - Loretta Lynch
That's the game plan of the chief prosecutor of the United States to combat Islamic terror.
Makes you feel safe, doesn't it?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Viability of renewable energy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:08 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:46 pm
Posts: 3302
Location: Houston, Texas
Reputation points: 2680
It pretty much covers the situation.

Non-fossil fuel sources are both more expensive and not capable of meeting the demand at this time, hence fossil fuels will continue to be the main source of power for the forseeable future (peak oil not withstanding).

Of course fossil fuels are not inexhaustable, and replacement technologies will be found, but trying to force the issue is only going to cause market shock.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Viability of renewable energy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:20 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant

Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:12 pm
Posts: 4286
Reputation points: 2156
Isn't it odd the only solution to global warming is to give your paycheck to the government. Curious...

Like I said before: 'fools and their money are easily parted'.

_________________
"Jordanian attacks did nothing but provoke the Israelis."


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Viability of renewable energy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:04 pm 
Offline
Corporal

Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:31 am
Posts: 881
Reputation points: 3216
An interesting article. But nobody of any importance claims we need to completely live off renewable energy sources right now, so it is a bit of a straw man. Just because we can't get 100% of our energy from renewable sources doesn't mean that we shouldn't bother at all.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Viability of renewable energy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:08 pm 
Offline
Corporal

Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:31 am
Posts: 881
Reputation points: 3216
AngryOldMan wrote:
We're not screwed because we don't need it. Because global warming is a myth made up by people who want to tax us into extinction to fund their own pet projects or get us to be forced to buy products (like CFL's) that they have already invested in.


It always amazes me how so many people in this debate can be so completely convinced that they know it is either a mortal threat or a "myth". How the hell can these people be so certain they are right? Why this confidence?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Viability of renewable energy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:14 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:42 pm
Posts: 4969
Location: North Atlantic Treaty Organization
Reputation points: 3663
KAding wrote:
AngryOldMan wrote:
We're not screwed because we don't need it. Because global warming is a myth made up by people who want to tax us into extinction to fund their own pet projects or get us to be forced to buy products (like CFL's) that they have already invested in.


It always amazes me how so many people in this debate can be so completely convinced that they know it is either a mortal threat or a "myth". How the hell can these people be so certain they are right? Why this confidence?

vragt een nederlander...juillie zijn toch altijd so overtuigd van iets ...is het een wonder dat andere ook overtuigd zijn?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Viability of renewable energy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:19 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:29 pm
Posts: 3674
Reputation points: 3518
KAding wrote:
AngryOldMan wrote:
We're not screwed because we don't need it. Because global warming is a myth made up by people who want to tax us into extinction to fund their own pet projects or get us to be forced to buy products (like CFL's) that they have already invested in.


It always amazes me how so many people in this debate can be so completely convinced that they know it is either a mortal threat or a "myth". How the hell can these people be so certain they are right? Why this confidence?


Read the rest of my post. If it was real WE WOULD BE BUILDING NUCLEAR REACTORS 24 / 7.

You and I, right now, would be breaking ground on a new reactor in our neighborhood because if global warming was real it would be the only viable option.

The fact that GW advocates never push for the only viable solution shows you that the problem is not real. Their solution will have almost no effect on CO2 but raise huge amounts of revenue while bringing our economy to its knees.

Think about it this way:

We get 2% of our power from renewables. This is after decades of subsidies. If Obama's plan to double this actually works we would convert 2 more % from fossil to renewable at incredible cost (Cap and Trade tax).

We also get 20% of our energy from nuclear. This is from about 100 privately owned power plants. If we simply allowed for the expansion of nuclear energy, we could double this in 10 years and convert 20 % from fossil to non CO2 producing at almost no cost to the taxpayer.

Which plan makes more sense to you?

THAT's what make ME so certain. When GW advocates start pushing for nuclear energy, I'll fricken believe them.

_________________
---------------------------------
"Our most effective response to terror is compassion, unity, and love" - Loretta Lynch
That's the game plan of the chief prosecutor of the United States to combat Islamic terror.
Makes you feel safe, doesn't it?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Viability of renewable energy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:50 pm 
Offline
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:06 pm
Posts: 15507
Location: under the porch
Reputation points: 16593
KAding wrote:

It always amazes me how so many people in this debate can be so completely convinced that they know it is either a mortal threat or a "myth". How the hell can these people be so certain they are right? Why this confidence?



You can start by looking up how much of the earth's atmosphere is made up of C02. The average environmentalist moon bat would probably tell you it's twenty percent. Go ahead, ask some of them. :roll:

It's actually .038 percent. That's right, thirty eight one thousandths of one percent. Approximately three percent of the thirty eight one thousandths of one percent is man made C02.

That's all you need to know to be certain that global warming evangelists are either idiots or snake oil salesmen. Even if we were to eliminate all man made C02 emissions, it would have absolutely no effect on the climate.

Cow farts are going to destroy the world. How fucking stupid do you have to be to buy into nonsense like this? :roll:

It's bullshit. Plain and simple. Even a high school kid should be able to figure that out.

_________________
First, we must kill moose and squirrel


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Viability of renewable energy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:24 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:03 pm
Posts: 3372
Reputation points: -689
Quote:
Unless Bussard was right we're screwed.

(Snicker snicker guffaw guffaw chortle with mirth). :twisted: Little does he know but I am one of the inventors who holds a 25% stake in the latest, most advanced fuel cell that is going to revolutionize the global power grid. We are going to acquire 10% of the $100 billion dollar fiscal energy bill of which 25% net will flow into my coffers and change the face of Arakis forever!!! :twisted:
Image

_________________
Image
Isaiah 5:20 - "Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LaPalice and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group