maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lead Obama and Clinton fundraiser is a serial perv
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:33 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 14634
Going full-in on those Red Wings. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:20 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16223
More ripples.....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/24/arts ... sment.html

Quote:
Leon Wieseltier Admits ‘Offenses’ Against Female Colleagues as New Magazine Is Killed
By JENNIFER SCHUESSLEROCT. 24, 2017

The backers of a new magazine to be edited by the literary critic Leon Wieseltier have severed its business relationship with him after allegations of sexual harassment surfaced. Credit Dan Balilty/Associated Press

Leon Wieseltier, a prominent editor at The New Republic for three decades who was preparing to unveil a new magazine next week, apologized on Tuesday for “offenses against some of my colleagues in the past” after several women accused him of sexual harassment and inappropriate advances.

As those allegations came to light, Laurene Powell Jobs, a leading philanthropist whose for-profit organization, Emerson Collective, was backing Mr. Wieseltier’s endeavor, decided to pull the plug on it.

“Upon receiving information related to past inappropriate workplace conduct, Emerson Collective ended its business relationship with Leon Wieseltier, including a journal planned for publication under his editorial direction,” the organization said in a statement on Tuesday. “The production and distribution of the journal has been suspended.”

A spokesman said Emerson Collective would not elaborate further on the nature or source of the information it had received. But stories about Mr. Wieseltier’s behavior are now surfacing in the aftermath of revelations about Harvey Weinstein’s alleged sexual assaults and harassment of women.

Over the past week, a group of women who once worked at The New Republic had been exchanging emails about their own accounts of Mr. Wieseltier’s behavior in and out of the magazine’s office in Washington, according to one person who has seen the confidential chain and was granted anonymity to describe its contents.

Several women on the chain said they were humiliated when Mr. Wieseltier sloppily kissed them on the mouth, sometimes in front of other staff members. Others said he discussed his sex life, once describing the breasts of a former girlfriend in detail. Mr. Wieseltier made passes at female staffers, they said, and pressed them for details about their own sexual encounters.

One woman recounted that while she was attempting to fact-check a column Mr. Wieseltier wrote, he forced her to look at a photograph of a nude sculpture in an art book, asking her if she had ever seen a more erotic picture. She wrote that she was shaken and afraid during the incident.

Mr. Wieseltier often commented on what women wore to the office, the former staff members said, telling them that their dresses were not tight enough. One woman said he left a note on her desk thanking her for the miniskirt she wore to the office that day. She said she never wore a skirt to the office again.

According to the women, male staff members routinely witnessed Mr. Wieseltier’s behavior and did nothing.

Mr. Wieseltier did not immediately respond to a request for comment about specific allegations. But in an emailed statement on Tuesday, he offered an apology.

“For my offenses against some of my colleagues in the past I offer a shaken apology and ask for their forgiveness,” he wrote. “The women with whom I worked are smart and good people. I am ashamed to know that I made any of them feel demeaned and disrespected. I assure them I will not waste this reckoning.”

The new magazine project, titled Idea, was going to be something of a comeback for the 65-year-old Mr. Wieseltier, the former longtime literary editor of The New Republic and one of the most eloquently pugnacious survivors at a magazine as famous for its operatic internal office dramas as for its agenda-setting political journalism.

Three years ago, Mr. Wieseltier helped lead an exodus from The New Republic, after the Facebook co-founder Chris Hughes abruptly fired the magazine’s editor, Franklin Foer, and took the magazine in a more buzzy direction. (In a statement to Politico on Tuesday, Mr. Hughes said he had received complaints in 2014 that Mr. Wieseltier had subjected an employee of the magazine’s office building to unwanted advances and harassment, which he had investigated by outside counsel. “We directed Mr. Wieseltier to immediately cease any communication with her, and I made sure he knew The New Republic had a zero-tolerance policy for sexual harassment of any kind,” Mr. Hughes said.)

After Mr. Wieseltier’s departure from The New Republic, he landed on his feet, becoming the Isaiah Berlin senior fellow in culture and policy at the Brookings Institution as well as a contributing writer and critic at The Atlantic magazine. His friendship with Ms. Powell Jobs helped lead to Emerson Collective’s purchasing a majority stake in The Atlantic this past summer.

But it was perhaps the now-scuttled new magazine that exemplified both Mr. Wieseltier’s intellectual ambition and the loyal roster of high-powered collaborators he accumulated over the years. Contributors to the first issue consisted of longtime New Republic contributors, including the historian Timothy Snyder, the law professor and former Obama regulations czar Cass Sunstein, the foreign policy writer Robert Kagan and the dance historian Jennifer Homans.

It may have been bankrolled by a Silicon Valley fortune, but Mr. Wieseltier, who has often inveighed against the corrosive effects of technology on culture, described it as a throwback.

“The model is something like Partisan Review, circa 1955,” he said in an interview last year with the blog of the National Endowment of the Arts.

Now, it appears that no one will get to read it. In his statement, Mr. Wieseltier also offered an apology to his current collaborators, including a staff of a half dozen.

“I am profoundly sorry to my extraordinary collaborators at the journal we began together that the misdeeds of my past have made it impossible to go forward,” he said. “My gratitude to them is boundless.”

I had never heard of this Wiesel-guy before....but The New Republic does skew towards the liberal/progressive side of things.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:15 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 12839
Actress accuses Bush snr of sexual assault...

Quote:
Former US President George Bush Senior has apologised for any distress caused after an actress accused him of sexual assault.

Heather Lind said the 93-year-old former president had "touched me from behind from his wheelchair" and told a "dirty joke" while posing for a photo.

Ms Lind made the allegation on social network Instagram, in a post which has since been deleted.

A spokesman for Mr Bush said the incident was an attempt at humour.

"President Bush would never - under any circumstance - intentionally cause anyone distress, and he most sincerely apologises if his attempt at humour offended Ms Lind," a statement supplied to outlets including the Daily Mail and People magazine said.

Both websites preserved the contents of Ms Lind's post before it was deleted.

Mr Bush served one term as US president from 1989 to 1993, and is the father of George W Bush, who served two terms in the office between 2001 and 2009.

He suffers from a form of Parkinson's disease.

The incident allegedly took place during an event for the television show Turn: Washington's Spies, in which Ms Lind is one of the main cast members.

In her Instagram post, Ms Lind said she was spurred to make the claim after seeing a photo of Barack Obama shaking Mr Bush Senior's hand at a recent fundraiser for hurricane victims, which she said had "disturbed" her.

"He sexually assaulted me while I was posing for a similar photo. He didn't shake my hand. He touched me from behind from his wheelchair with his wife Barbara Bush by his side," she wrote, according to the Daily Mail's transcript of the deleted post.

"He told me a dirty joke. And then, all the while being photographed, touched me again," she added.

Ms Lind finished her post with the hashtag #metoo, which has seen widespread use by victims of sexual assault to share their experiences in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein Hollywood scandal.

"What comforts me is that I too can use my power, which isn't so different from a president really," she said.

"I am grateful for the bravery of other women who have spoken up and written about their experiences."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41752488

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

Mac wrote:
Actress accuses Bush snr of sexual assault...

Quote:
Former US President George Bush Senior has apologised for any distress caused after an actress accused him of sexual assault.

Heather Lind said the 93-year-old former president had "touched me from behind from his wheelchair" and told a "dirty joke" while posing for a photo.

Ms Lind made the allegation on social network Instagram, in a post which has since been deleted.

A spokesman for Mr Bush said the incident was an attempt at humour.

"President Bush would never - under any circumstance - intentionally cause anyone distress, and he most sincerely apologises if his attempt at humour offended Ms Lind," a statement supplied to outlets including the Daily Mail and People magazine said.

Both websites preserved the contents of Ms Lind's post before it was deleted.

Mr Bush served one term as US president from 1989 to 1993, and is the father of George W Bush, who served two terms in the office between 2001 and 2009.

He suffers from a form of Parkinson's disease.

The incident allegedly took place during an event for the television show Turn: Washington's Spies, in which Ms Lind is one of the main cast members.

In her Instagram post, Ms Lind said she was spurred to make the claim after seeing a photo of Barack Obama shaking Mr Bush Senior's hand at a recent fundraiser for hurricane victims, which she said had "disturbed" her.

"He sexually assaulted me while I was posing for a similar photo. He didn't shake my hand. He touched me from behind from his wheelchair with his wife Barbara Bush by his side," she wrote, according to the Daily Mail's transcript of the deleted post.

"He told me a dirty joke. And then, all the while being photographed, touched me again," she added.

Ms Lind finished her post with the hashtag #metoo, which has seen widespread use by victims of sexual assault to share their experiences in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein Hollywood scandal.

"What comforts me is that I too can use my power, which isn't so different from a president really," she said.

"I am grateful for the bravery of other women who have spoken up and written about their experiences."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41752488

That was very naughty of you George.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16925
Why would you accuse a 93 year old? Jesus, what kind of threat could he possibly be? Not only that you might ask if he has lost some pre-frontal inhibition due to a little dementia.

We have reached the stratosphere of silliness. Didn't take long either.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:55 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2401
jack t ripper wrote:
Why would you accuse a 93 year old? Jesus, what kind of threat could he possibly be? Not only that you might ask if he has lost some pre-frontal inhibition due to a little dementia.

But Bush the Older admits and apologizes.

President George HW Bush ‘sincerely apologizes’ for touching actress during photo shoot.

What did he do when younger?

#metoo :roll:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
jack t ripper wrote:

But Bush the Older admits and apologizes.

President George HW Bush ‘sincerely apologizes’ for touching actress during photo shoot.

#metoo :roll:

Nero, are you saying that Bush Sr touched your pee-pee?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:

He jumped out of a burning TBF over Chichi-jima after being hit by AAA and was rescued by a sub, the youngest pilot in the US Navy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:08 pm 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
nero wrote:

He jumped out of a burning TBF over Chichi-jima after being hit by AAA and was rescued by a sub, the youngest pilot in the US Navy.

Last edited by chijohnaok on Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:09 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:

:roll: Oh, jeez. Yeah, you are a regular Womder Woman, sweetheart.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 33  Next