maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4chan and crowdsourcing
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:24 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16223
While I have heard of "crowdsourcing" before, I just saw the following YT video that discusses 4chan and the positive contributions that they can, and have, made.
4chan is a group that utilizes crowdsourcing.

[For those that are unfamiliar with the term "crowdsourcing" it can be defined as:
the practice of obtaining needed services, ideas, or content by soliciting contributions from a large group of people and especially from the online community rather than from traditional employees or suppliers
https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... wdsourcing ]

Yes, sometimes 4chan is able to uncover more amusing things, like repeatedly finding where Shia Lebouf placed his "He will not divide us" flags/banners".
But, as mentioned in the video, 4chan has also found suspects in crimes (the Antifa bike lock thug), and even were able to locate a terrorist training camp that was subsequently bombed.

One of the first examples of crowdsourcing that I remember is when a group of scientists were studying stars/space. Part of their search methods required the use of supercomputers to process all the data that they received (I believe this data involved radio telescopes but my memory is a bit foggy on the details). Unfortunately, using time on supercomputers was very expensive and the group doing the research was pretty small with a limited budget. Someone connected with the group realized that if you network enough pc's together you could approximate the computing power of a supercomputer. Someone then developed an idea whereby they could network pc's from all over the world by developing a screensaver program. When a person's internet connected computer went idle, the screensaver would come on. Every day data packets of raw data from those radio telescopes would be sent out in small packets to pc's all across the world. So when your pc went idle, the screensaver program would analyze those data packets and then send the results back to the original sender. Not every person who elected to download the screensaver would be logged in every day, but they got enough people involved with this to where many thousands (or even tens of thousands) of pc's were able to accomplish the computer analysis that needed to be done. And it was done at little cost (after all, these pc's were sitting idle and harnessing their usage did not cost scientists.

I also remember reading articles about the border patrol camera thing that the You Tuber referred to.
IIRC, the State of Texas had set up some livecams in some rural areas that were hotspots for illegal border crossers.
Hiring Texas law enforcement personnel to monitor those live cams 24/7 though could get expensive.
So someone came up with the idea of making those livestream cameras accessible to the general public via the internet.
People were able to log in any time that they felt like and watch the live feeds.
If they saw anything that looked suspicious there was a phone number to law enforcement that they could call. Law enforcement could then review the tip and if necessary, dispatch someone to go and check things out.

-------------

Now on a somewhat related tangent, there seems to be a debate going on in another thread about the need for large government and globalism vs that of individualism.

The sort of crowdsourcing that people on 4chan do is possibly a way of somehow bridging that gap/argument.
The sorts of things that people on 4chan have accomplished is a demonstration that large issues do not always require a large government to solve those issues.
Much can be done by groups of individuals who devote some of their free time to work together on these things.

Crowdsourcing will never entirely replace the things that government does.
But it can reduce the necessity of always depending on an ever growing government to be the answer to all problems.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 4chan and crowdsourcing
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:17 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 12839
chijohnaok wrote:
and even were able to locate a terrorist training camp that was subsequently bombed.

The Syria General posters of /pol/ have had ISIS hit a few times.

Link to airstrike thread - http://archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/76257774/#76257869

I think the denizens of 4Chins first realised the power of their collective autism back in 2006 with the Habbo Hotel raids and then refined it a few years later when they took on Scientology during Project Chanology, and of course it all came to a head with The Great Meme War of last years election where you had a presidential candiate talking about Pepe the Frog.

Along the way they have trolled everyone from Hal Turner, Oprah Winfrey, Tom Cruise and Shia LeBouf. They have rigged online votes to have their Founder, m00t, named Time magazines most Influential Person, got Rick Astley a MTV Lifetime Achievement award and attempted to have Taylor Swift perform for a school for the deaf.

Who knows what they will pull off next?

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:41 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Video on the history of the Habbo Hotel raids...

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16223
Mac wrote:

Who knows what they will pull off next?

The trolling of Shia and others is amusing....but they have also done alot of things with real benefit to society: identifying criminals,monitoring borders, locating terrorist training camps....hell, IIRC from the original video that I posted, they were able to figure out the solution to a medical/scientific problem that people had spent 15 years trying to figure out---and they did it on 10 days.

Yes, they can pull amazing things off....and no doubt they will do more in the future.
(unfortunately that can work both ways...thank goodness though that many of these terrorists are fixated in returning to the 7th century---Up until now, it seems they mostly use the internet for radicalization and recruiting).

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:33 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

An internet skirmish between ISIS and 4chan would probably be as entertaining as the Independance Day wars of 2014 between Tumblr and 4chan tbh.

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:56 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 14634
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:21 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12194