maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: You Tube mass demonetized Tim Pool
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:35 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
chijohnaok wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
Well . . . YT is under no obligation to insure the income of anyone. They provide a free service, and have been "generous(?)" enough to also facilitate monetization. As far as I'm aware, they can give the content creators whatever cut of their ad sponsor revenue they want, all the way down to zero dollars and there is no legal basis for anyone to make a claim against YT. Nothing about their terms of service is a contract of employment much less a commitment to provide revenue to content creators.

Understood. You Tube is a business and can set its own business model/rules.
You Tube (presumably since I am not a content creator and have never examined the process for becoming a content creator) does have rules (and by implication expectations) around its content provider program. Which then raises the question "Is You Tube acting within those program rules with regards to its content providers?"

Anthropoid wrote:

Obviously, YT is beholden to content creators as a whole: if not for the content creators, YT would be even less of profitable venture than it already is. It might well yield zero revenue, or at least the advertising revenue might dwindle to zero. But they are now edging in paid YT content so they are at minimum diversifying their revenue streams and at worst, slowly turning up the water to boil the frogs and kill the "free" viewing content while they replace that viewership with paid viewership.

You Tube needs content creators.
The more content they have, the more content they have that can be viewed. The more content that is viewed, the more advertising opportunities they have. The more advertising they sell, the more revenue they generate.

Where they err (perhaps not within the law but perhaps within their own business model/policies and practices) is in how they treat their content providers.
Some are held to one standard, and some to another.
You Tube is obviously creating dissatisfaction within its content contributor community.

The more that they do it, the longer that they do it, the more incentive is created for someone to create/promote/use a competing format.
That is where You Tube may harm itself in the future.

Equal application of their rules is definitely a big reason their contributors are complaining.

From what I understand the majority of views, which any video will get from a regular viewer base, comes within the first few hours. But now that YT's obviously flawed flagging system demonitizes a video shortly after it is posted, most of the ad revenue for it is lost beween the time it is demonitized to the time it is reinstated after having to be manually submitted for review by the creator.

They're complaining about most of their ad revenue getting ditched, even when the demonitization gets manually reviewed and the video later reinstated. It's incompetency at best, and targeted harassment at worst.

That's to say nothing of the possibilities for abuse by human action. Between anyone being able to report a video as inappropriate out of sheer malice, in order to get something temporarily shadowbanned, to YT outsourcing it's manual reviews to the likes of such hyper partisan political affiliations such as the Anti-Defamation League.

The same far left activists who have deleted whole YouTube channels, including Dr. Jordan Perterson's. Hardly some "alt-right" Neo Nazi. :roll:

It's policing 'wrong think'.

Being a private company in what is supposed to be a free marketplace, it's just a matter of users dropping the judge-jury-executioner Thought Police operated platform and going elsewhere. But we are now seeing similar attacks targeting those platforms which have stated they will apply their content rules equally across all users & respect contributor's content, via other means.

A perfect example of that is what recently happened with Gab.ai after their app was reportedly dropped from the Google store with no reason given, and they threatened a lawsuit. Their domain host then told them they wouldn't host them anymore, and that they need to leave. It's obvious the power of Google was first brought to silence them, then again a second time when they piped up about it.

The problem is more of a monopolistic, or oligopolistic, one. There are far too few business organizations holding sway over the internet right now. And they're not just in the business of commerce.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Clear evidence that Tim Pool is secretly a Russian agent:

;-)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15095
I totally agree with you guys that YT seems to be screwing up, which is both stupid and sad. It is an amazing repository of content and it could (I think) easily be a generative and salutary thing for everyone involved who was outside the bounds of truly offensive. That may be the problem: leftist executive and manager types regard anything that is even a few degrees right of their position to be so offensive that they secretly harbor veritable genocidal urges? Could be part of the problem. I still think that just simply "neglect" and poor organization and crap software is part of it too.

ADDIT: eh? Chi, that was a Taras Kul video you posted. No mention of Tim Pool at all was there?

Probably grabbed the wrong url? :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:55 am 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
I totally agree with you guys that YT seems to be screwing up, which is both stupid and sad. It is an amazing repository of content and it could (I think) easily be a generative and salutary thing for everyone involved who was outside the bounds of truly offensive. That may be the problem: leftist executive and manager types regard anything that is even a few degrees right of their position to be so offensive that they secretly harbor veritable genocidal urges? Could be part of the problem. I still think that just simply "neglect" and poor organization and crap software is part of it too.

ADDIT: eh? Chi, that was a Taras Kul video you posted. No mention of Tim Pool at all was there?

Probably grabbed the wrong url? :P

Anthro, of course I realize that is not actually Tim Pool, but he looks similar to him and wears a knit stocking cap that looks similar (but not identical) to the one that Tim always wears.

I was just trying to have a little ‘conspiracy’ fun.

Someone posted the video on Pool’s DISCORD channel (that I joined yesterday).

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1209
Who cares about Tim Pool? I don't. ;)

He's empty.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:10 pm 
Hair in the soap

nero wrote:

He's empty.

So's the 'Muh Russia' investigation.

It never stopped you from believing in that nonsense before! :P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:12 pm 
Sergeant Major

Tim Pool still on his demonetization kick

He does make some good points.

A YT video about a penis museum----OK with advertizers

A YT vid interviewing a female Icelandic left wing anti-capitalist former politician who is in favor of free speech----demonetized.

:roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:30 pm 
Sergeant Major

"Everybody"(? :roll: . . . uhm, yeah except Lesbians I guess?) likes penises. Not everybody likes "Free Speech!" :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:21 pm 
Hair in the soap

Anthropoid wrote:
"Everybody"(? :roll: . . . uhm, yeah except Lesbians I guess?) likes penises. Not everybody likes "Free Speech!" :P

Even lesbians like penises. Fake ones, anyway, but penises nonetheless.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:45 pm 
Sergeant Major

NefariousKoel wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:

Even lesbians like penises. Fake ones, anyway, but penises nonetheless.

Truth! :P

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next