All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good on ya Aussies
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:32 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 12603
Quote:
Jerusalem Post International news

Treasurer Scott Morrison wins vote to be Australia's new prime minister
Scott Morrison will be Australia's sixth prime minister in less than 10 years.
By REUTERS
August 24, 2018 06:55
(Continued)
https://www.jpost.com/International/Tre ... ter-565699

Quote:
Terminology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservat ... erminology
In the early 20th century, "Conservatism" was used as a disparaging epithet by detractors of right wing politics and politicians within Australia, often by supporters and members of left-wing leaning movements and parties such as the Australian Labor Party and the Australian Greens. People on the right called themselves "liberals". That only changed in the late 20th century; Hirst[who?] says that as a significant political movement, conservatism is "a very recent arrival in Australia". John Howard, who became prime minister in 1996, was the first holder of the office to describe himself as a conservative."[1]

In the 21st century the term covers similar political issues as found in other Western democracies. In the early 20th century the liberals had connections with reform movements. However, as Howard has argued, the Liberal Party became the trustee of both the classical liberal and conservative traditions. That is, it combines liberal (market-based, pro-business, anti-union, anti-Big Government) economic policies with conservative social policies.[2]

Scott 'Stop the boats' Morrison: Australia's latest PM

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/wo ... m-10647874

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Good on ya Aussies
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:50 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14177
At least since I've had an opinion ... I've considered myself to be a "liberal". I've never been much of a church goer ... but was in a catholic, all boys, military (Jr AF ROTC) high school for three years. And was an attending member of "LRY" (Liberal Relilgious Youth) in the Unitarian Church for about 3 years. My concept of "liberty" is "one who practices and supports liberty" .

I could agree with this definition:

Quote:
... According to the Concise Oxford Dictionary of Politics, liberalism is "the belief that it is the aim of politics to preserve individual rights and to maximize freedom of choice" ...

I absolutely agree with this one ...

Quote:
... John Stuart Mill articulated this principle in On Liberty, where he argued that, "The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others." ...

==

Wiki-pedia does point out that definitions have evolved over time ... with the USA definition of "conservative" now being roughly equivalent to the European defintiion of "liberal" :)

==
I also believe, especially in these times, that we need to remember the founders concerns about "mob rule" ... as we are already there, with the exception of the dead-cat-bounce momentary delay offered to us by the trumpf residency ...

Quote:
... Tyranny of the majority (or tyranny of the masses) refers to an inherent weakness of majority rule in which the majority of an electorate can and does place its own interests above, and at the expense of, those in the minority. This results in oppression of minority groups comparable to that of a tyrant or despot, argued John Stuart Mill in his famous 1859 book On Liberty.[1]

Potentially, through tyranny of the majority, a disliked or unfavored ethnic, religious, political, social, or racial group may be deliberately targeted for oppression by the majority element acting through the democratic process.[2][unreliable source?]

American founding father Alexander Hamilton, writing to Thomas Jefferson from the Constitutional Convention, argued the same fears regarding the use of pure direct democracy by the majority to elect a demagogue who, rather than work for the benefit of all citizens, set out to either harm those in the minority or work only for those of the upper echelon. The Electoral College mechanism present in the indirect United States presidential election system, and the phenomenon of faithless electors allowed for within it, was, in part, deliberately created as a safety measure not only to prevent such a scenario, but also to prevent the use of democracy to overthrow democracy for an authoritarian, dictatorial or other system of oppressive government.[3] As articulated by Hamilton, one reason the Electoral College was created was so "that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications".[4]

The scenarios in which tyranny perception occurs are very specific, involving a sort of distortion of democracy preconditions:

Centralization excess: when the centralized power of a federation make a decision that should be local, breaking with the commitment to the subsidiarity principle. Typical solutions, in this condition, are concurrent majority and supermajority rules.
Abandonment of rationality: when, as Tocqueville remembered, a decision "which bases its claim to rule upon numbers, not upon rightness or excellence". The use of public consultation, technical consulting bodies, and other similar mechanisms help to improve rationality of decisions before voting on them. Judicial review (e.g. declaration of nullity of the decision) is the typical way after the vote.
In both cases, in a context of a nation, constitutional limits on the powers of a legislative body, and the introduction of a Bill of Rights have been used to counter the problem. A separation of powers (for example a legislative and executive majority actions subject to review by the judiciary) may also be implemented to prevent the problem from happening internally in a government ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:19 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Thus the term "Libertarian"

90% of American voters would, however, not know what the Hell you are talking about :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:34 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1334
abradley wrote:

Scott 'Stop the boats' Morrison: Australia's latest PM
Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/wo ... m-10647874

Malcolm Turnbull was sacked because of low ratings and the next elections are next spring.

But you didn't like Turnbull anyway:

Turnbull is not winning, and I doubt the Morrison is either. But I will not eat my woolen long johns even if 'Stop the boats' Morrison would win.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail