maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Statues - tear em down - or leave em up ??
Poll ended at Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:34 pm
Tear down ALL the statues of primates in USA !!! 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Leave up ALL the statues of primates in USA !! 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
Form a committee to determine which statues go down and which stay up in USA (and which new ones can go up) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: Re: Statues - tear em down - or leave em up ??
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:42 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15961
2ndAcr wrote:
Everyone including Gump forgets the Dems started the KKK basically. Hell, most of the statues were put up during the 1950's during the Jim Crow days when the Dems ran everything in the south.

So how about banning the Dems and everyone in it from ever voting again since they belong to the party of racist before tearing down some statues that honor SOLDIERS. Bulldoze the Lincoln memorial, he was a racist too. EVERY white back then was basically a racist. Be they from the north or the south.

Such a good point. I actually tried to upvote it again! :mrgreen: Couldn't remember for certain if I had already or not

Yep!
Quote:
You have already given reputation in this post

Return to the previous page

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
http://nypost.com/2017/10/26/teddy-roos ... red-paint/

Quote:
Teddy Roosevelt attacked at Museum of Natural History

By Tina Moore, Daniel Prendergast, Georgett Roberts and Yaron Steinbuch October 26, 2017 | 9:44am |

Red paint was splashed at the statue of Theodore Roosevelt on the steps of the American Museum of Natural History early Thursday, according to cops.

Someone was seen around the statue before it was vandalized on Central Park West between 3 and 7 a.m., law enforcement sources said.

Police are checking for surveillance video of the incident and are looking for at least one person who was seen near the statue.

Images on social media show the base of the 10-foot-tall statue covered in red paint, which also streaks on the sides. The equestrian sculpture itself does not appear to be hit.

The bronze statue by James Earle Fraser, which was erected in 1939, depicts the former president on horseback flanked by an indigenous African and an American Indian.

The vandalism comes amid a national debate over statues dedicated to controversial historical figures triggered by the violence sparked by white supremacist groups in Charlottesville, Virginia, in August over the removal of a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

President Trump, who refused to condemn the Charlottesville participants, has slammed people who want to tear down statues of Christopher Columbus, saying “it has to be stopped” because they are destroying the country’s “heritage.”

A neighborhood resident called the vandalism “horrible.”

“There is no cause for doing things like this in this society where everybody is free to express their opinion, but not in this way,” said Hans Gesell, 82, a structural engineer who rides past the statue every day.

Gesell is not a fan of the Rough Rider.

“I think he was an egotistical person who thought his opinion mattered more than anyone else’s. That’s not the way to go,” he told The Post.

But he denounced the defacing, saying “it is the opposite of the way you express yourself. The way to express yourself is you vote. You want to express your opinion — you vote.

“It is not a true expression of democracy and you can see it upsets people, and we should find better ways of expressing ourselves,” he added.

A pair of Columbus statues in the Big Apple were recently vandalized, including one in Central Park, where a vandal smeared red paint on its hands and scrawled “Hate will not be tolerated” on its pedestal.

Mayor Bill de Blasio has appointed a commission to review monuments dedicated to controversial historical figures like Columbus.

Activists last year called for the museum to take down the “racist” statue, calling it a “stark embodiment” of white supremacy that Roosevelt “espoused and promoted.”

Earlier this month, protesters rallied outside the museum to call for the city to remove the statue and to rename Columbus Day “Indigenous People’s Day,” the West Side Rag reported.

“Flanked by figures that appear to be Native and African stereotypes in a position of subservience, the statue is a stark embodiment of the white patrician supremacy that Roosevelt himself espoused and promoted and is an affront to all who enter the museum,” the group, called “Decolonize This Place,” wrote to the museum and the city.

The museum recently agreed that “the statue needs to be addressed,” the Upper West Side news outlet reported.

“Several factors will figure into determining the exact approach,” the museum said. “The Museum is conducting its own research and development process, but the decision on how to address the statue is not solely in the Museum’s control.

“The statue sits on New York City park land and as such is owned and managed by the City. This summer, the City created a commission to review statues and monuments on public land, and we expect the Roosevelt statue to be considered in that process.”

A 14-year museum worker said she was surprised to see the vandalism near her “beloved museum.”

“I think that statue causes a lot of trouble. It belongs to the city, not the museum. Nobody wants it there,” said the worker, who declined to give her name.

“When you notice who is by his side … it’s a racist statue,” she added. “This is New York City. We are culturally diverse. The museum wants Teddy there but not what the statute represents. That statue is a concern for the museum. It presents values we do not support.”

Roosevelt — the first president to invite and dine with an African-American, Booker T. Washington, in the White House — espoused a gradual approach to improving the country’s stark racial inequality.

He referred to white Americans as “the forward race,” whose responsibility it was to lift up the status of minorities by training “the backward race[s] in industrial efficiency, political capacity and domestic morality.”

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:02 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6135
That's the first statue I've seen that absolutely needs tearing down....That's pure racism... nothing more.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:47 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Quote:
“Decolonize This Place,”

Hey, I could get behind that....oh wait....I thought it said "Decolorize This Place". It does seem like a patronizing statue. A compromise would be to take out the two other figures or to take out TR and leave the other two. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15961
No idea if Roosevelt was a racist by the standards of today, much less those of his day. By today's standards, many mid-19th century American abolitionists would nonetheless be "racist" . . . In any event, the statue is peculiar and doesn't strike me as something Roosevelt himself would have been proud of. He died in 1919 and that statue was made in 1939. Wouldn't be half-surprised if the fellow who made the statue was a racist or Jim Crow fan, but that doesn't really say much about the fellow it depicts, who was already dead 20 years when it was made.

Roosevelt had his flaws, but on the whole, I've always regarded him as one of the best. Just his devotion to the national parks system and food and drug regulation alone are praise worthy. Plus he won a Nobel Peace Prize for actually doing something fitting to that prize: he brokered piece between Russia and Japan.

Last edited by Anthropoid on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:35 pm 
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth

Reputation points: 16218
Quote:
He referred to white Americans as “the forward race,” whose responsibility it was to lift up the status of minorities by training “the backward race[s] in industrial efficiency, political capacity and domestic morality.”

So how is that working out?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:55 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
Quote:
... “Decolonize This Place,” ..

That is so ironically funny ... back when I was a kid in jaw jah ... we had a gubinor name "lester maddox" ... and one of his quotes I remember well was "Everyone ought to go back where they came from" ... since I was (and am) a LIBERAL ... I knew even then (my parents were LIBERALs too) ... that if we all went back where we came from the Olduvai gorge would be a very crowded place!

So the call to "decolonize this place" ... is actually logically equivalent to "everyone ought to go back where they came from" ... and BTW that includes the injuns .. (or First Americans) (or whatever they are called this week) ... as they came over here from Asia ... so yup ... we all gots to go back to Africa !!!

I will let those hollering the loudest lead the way ... :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:52 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 19398
Someone needs to tear down the statue of Jack Daniel. I read somewhere that he was the biggest killer of indigenous Amercians.

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:36 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:48 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6135
It's a perfect example of how pervasive and "normal" racism was even into the modern era. But, this was not done somewhere in the Jim Crow south. It's in the heart of the supposedly enlightened north....

The Negro is shirtless in a loincloth for Christ's sake !... in 1939.... Nothing in the south that I've seen comes close to this type of overt messaging. How could it have been displayed for this long without serious complaints ?

It certainly makes the southern tendency toward war memorial statues and idolized generals seem a lot less "evil" by comparison.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next