maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dayam! Nemo that anchovy/farfalle recioe was fantastic
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:13 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
One pot, one skillet, 4 ingredients not counting the water. 12 minutes once the water is boiling. It's a brilliant recipe. Add perhaps 1 minute for the usual pasta cook time if you put the broccoli in cold. I substituted anchovy paste as I had no canned anchovies and used half and half and added shallots to the garlic sautee. Fantastic exotic cream sauce. I didn't tell my vegetarian stepdaughter about the anchovies. She downed the stuff like a starving wolf. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dayam! Nemo that anchovy/farfalle recioe was fantastic
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:14 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 687
jack t ripper wrote:
One pot, one skillet, 4 ingredients not counting the water. 12 minutes once the water is boiling. It's a brilliant recipe. Add perhaps 1 minute for the usual pasta cook time if you put the broccoli in cold. I substituted anchovy paste as I had no canned anchovies and used half and half and added shallots to the garlic sautee. Fantastic exotic cream sauce. I didn't tell my vegetarian stepdaughter about the anchovies. She downed the stuff like a starving wolf. :lol:

I am glad you liked it. ;)

Perhaps it would be a good thing to discuss more about cooking and eating. Just because eating is the principal livelihood of man.

Then one detail: what brand of pasta you prefer? I have used until very recently mainly DeCecco, but then I have found that Rummo is also very good. Both have coarse texture and are high on protein (DeCecco 14.0 and Rummo 14.5).

Buen apetito.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:04 am 
Sergeant Major

Never heard of Rummo. Not even stocked as I recall.

For some of the larger pastas (like fetuccine or filled pastas) I will splurge of the fresh pasta. For dried pastas I think it is hard to tell the difference in most cases.

Dried pastas, beans and rice and canned veggies are the main survival plan after the big quake.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:41 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15427
jack t ripper wrote:
Dried pastas, beans and rice and canned veggies are the main survival plan after the big quake.

What about the WATER plan ?? That was the part of the plan I struggled with when I lived in the Big CA.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

jwilkerson wrote:
jack t ripper wrote:

What about the WATER plan ?? That was the part of the plan I struggled with when I lived in the Big CA.

Well...

Plan A: Bottled water to drink and cook for a week. Crystal Geyser in 2 gallon jugs from the Sierras. Delicious

Plan B: You fill up the tubs for bathing and flushing. This will work for a while until all the local water Dept gravity feeding reservoirs are empty (barring complete delivery line failures)

Plan C: Local reservoir about 1 mile away. I have 2 hand RO filters and can boil with wood or propane

Plan D: Neighbor has a well but would need a generator

C & D would not work if you have nuclear fallout. :lol: This I judge less likely than a big quake which is very likely at some point.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:26 pm 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
Never heard of Rummo. Not even stocked as I recall.

I understand it is a small brand, my experience is that the quality is very good. And recently Rummo is available with many varieties at reasonable price.

So if you see Rummo, try it.

jack t ripper wrote:
For some of the larger pastas (like fetuccine or filled pastas) I will splurge of the fresh pasta. For dried pastas I think it is hard to tell the difference in most cases.

Yes, but a real pastaman makes his own pasta, from dough up. I have a real Marcato Atlas 150 machine, so fettucine no problem. But those filled ones are more tedious.

I have been experiment with the flour mixtures, the normal half and half tipo 0-0 and durum. Also tipo 0-0 with spelt is good. I have made pizza dough with spelt too. Not bad at all.

jack t ripper wrote:

As Mr. Wilkerson said, without water there is no hope.

But then you have to keep your stockpiles fresh, eat the old ones, pasta and dry beans. And replenish accordingly.

In Cali the big quake is always a possibility. Be lucky that that you don't have to prepare for the zombie attack like Mr. Wilkerson of Kansas and the Arizona Mikhael. ;)

Have you ever hear about Spaghetti Bolognese? If not, good, otherwise forget it.

It is actually Tagliatelli con ragu all Bolognese: Gennaro's traditional 'spaghetti' Bolognese.

I use the same ragu for lagane too. But I put garlic and chili in the ragu, and white wine instead of red. But then I admit I am a barbarian.

But this kind barbarism is common in Italy, one can not find any recipe that is accepted in all of Italy. Everyone's mamma had her own recipe the is the only real one. I always lose the argument with my wisdom from the book Il Grande Libro della Cucina Italiana. But all road leads to Rome.

;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:56 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19351
I'd pair pasta w/ a sativa or sativa heavy hybrid. Sour Diesel goes w/ anything but stroganoff tends to be rather bland. Sweet lemon haze to give it some flavour is on the menu

bon appetit

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:01 am 
Sergeant Major

C_S wrote:
I'd pair pasta w/ a sativa or sativa heavy hybrid. Sour Diesel goes w/ anything but stroganoff tends to be rather bland. Sweet lemon haze to give it some flavour is on the menu

bon appetit

For cooking you'd need cannabis infused oil or butter. I don't know if you can by the staff where you live? But you can find instructions in the interwebs how to make the stuff by yourself. I have made cannabutter few times. It is not particularly difficult, comparable making filled fresh pasta like tortellini or ravioli.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:24 am 
Sergeant Major

Better double the ragu recipe portions

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:16 am 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
Better double the ragu recipe portions

Yes, I usually do.

The combination of onion, celery and carrot makes the taste so good no spices are needed, only salt. But then I have added garlic and chili for lasagne.

Profile E-mail