Open all night
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: U.S. May Begin Airstrikes Against ISIS in Philippines
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:16 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 13573
Quote:
Problem is our jets are falling apart. Our F/A-18's, for example, are becoming prohibitively expensive to maintain and require extensive maintenance to keep them operational.

Fixed costs, Ray.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:45 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14884
C_S wrote:
Quote:
Problem is our jets are falling apart. Our F/A-18's, for example, are becoming prohibitively expensive to maintain and require extensive maintenance to keep them operational.

Fixed costs, Ray.

I'm not exactly sure that is true CS.

I will agree that for much of the duration of something (like an F/A-18 or even a car) you may have "fixed costs" for regular maintenance of the aircraft (or car), but I would guess that at some point in time an ever increasing portion of that aircraft (or car) starts wearing out and need replacement. The more things that wear our and need replacement, the more expensive its going to get to keep that aircraft in an acceptable flight status.

I would defer to Lava for his comments on this since he was the US Navy pilot and probably knows quite a bit more on this that you or I do.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:33 am 
First Sergeant

I'm just saying you have the crews, jets, pilots to hand it's a fixed cost. Having them do something preserves the gear better than it sitting around.

I agree Ray knows more about this than all of us here combined.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:50 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2077
Fortunately, there´s a manufacturer which will replace them with shiny new F-35s to do their job at increasingly competitive cost. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:43 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3603
C_S wrote:
Fixed costs, Ray.

They are truly falling apart. They are robbing airplanes in the desert of parts and having to have certain parts re-manufactured.

Cut backs in the budget have also cut pilot training time by half. And wars siphon off money earmarked for training and maintenance.

Remember my accident? The A-6 was on it's way out. The planes had been in service for way too long and extra maintenance was required to keep them flying. The hook that broke off my aircraft was supposed to have been re-worked because of stress. But it slipped through the cracks and see what happens.

That is the situation the F/A-18 fleet is now facing.

We keep this shit up and we'll have 12 aircraft carriers and no airplanes to put onboard.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:53 pm 
First Sergeant

National defense is one of the very few things the fedril gobmint is authorized to do. I have no problem paying to fuel F-35s.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:05 pm 
First Sergeant

Sry, Ray I was responding to Scharfschütze.

Regarding airframes I understand at a point it's cheaper to buy new ones. This technology should always be state of the art.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:24 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3603
No apology necessary.

You have to understand how the Navy thinks. At the end of the cold war, they were facing large cutbacks. The Air Wings were full of aging aircraft using multiple crew.

The F/A-18 was the cheap way out of the problem, allowing the Navy to buy lots of aircraft without touching their Carriers. It was really nothing but a supped up single pilot light attack aircraft. So for a couple decades now, we have had carrier aircraft which was really shit, IMHO. Remember the war in Kosovo, when we intervened and bombed Serbia? Well, that wasn't F/A-18s, because at the beginning of the conflict there was bad weather and given the rules of engagement, the F/A-18's in an attack role, could not meet those objectives. And I do believe there was one spectacular incident when an F/A-18 fired a walleye (optical tracking missile), I believe, and destroyed a train full of civilians.

Thankfully, we never had to go up against anyone with any decent fighter aircraft or we would have had our asses handed to us.

The F-35 cannot come fast enough. But they aren't cheap.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:25 pm 
First Sergeant

I have no problem w/ tax beans spent to completely rebuild the entire US fleet and wings.

We're wasting most of our money paying ppl to.. uh... procreate. 1 million this year, next year 7 millions, next year...

"Feed a million ppl who are starving, next year you have 7 millions ppl starving."

100 trillions in debt. gesh

And we can't afford to maintain our own security.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:59 pm 
First Sergeant

You know what. I have 2 little sweetie cats. I pay to maintain them, vet bills, food, and whatnot. I love these little ladies and don't mind having them aboard. They're my little girls I take care of them.

Lathonia and her 8 fatherless kids - not so much.

I'm a racist :o

Profile E-mail