It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pope Gives Cdl. Pell Leave to Fight Sex Abuse Charges
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:25 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 8782
Quote:
Pope Gives Cdl. Pell Leave to Fight Sex Abuse Charges
churchmilitant.com/news/article/pope-gives-cdl.-pell-leave-to-fight-sex-abuse-charges

ROME (ChurchMilitant.com) - Cardinal George Pell, the most senior Vatican official to ever face sex abuse charges, has been given a leave of absence by Pope Francis to defend himself in Australian court.

News broke Wednesday that the prefect of the Secretariat of the Economy has been accused of "historic sexual offences." During a press conference at the Holy See Press Office Thursday, Cdl. Pell categorically denied the claims as false. "These matters have been under investigation now for two years," said Cdl. Pell. "I'm looking forward, finally, to having my day in court. I'm innocent of these charges; they are false. The whole idea of sexual abuse is abhorrent to me."

Greg Burke, director of the Holy See Press Office, announced at the news briefing that the Holy Father has given Cdl. Pell a leave of absence to attend court proceedings in Melbourne where the charges originated. "The Holy Father, having been informed by Cdl. Pell" of what he called decades-old actions attributed to him, "has granted the cardinal a leave of absence so he can defend himself," confirmed Burke.

Speaking of a conversation he'd had with Pope Francis earlier in the week, Cdl. Pell related, "We talked about my need to take leave to clear my name. So I am very grateful to the Holy Father for giving me this leave to return to Australia."
(Continued)
Good to get it aired in public, guilty or not.

Profile E-mail