maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
 Post subject: Re: Hurricane Season 2017
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:42 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 8907
Was going to post this again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXxHfb66ZgM but you ignored it before, expect you'd ignore it again.

So will try this

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:33 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15384
jack t ripper wrote:
Barbuda is mostly flattened and it wasn't very tall to start with. Now, Jose is closing in

Here is an update @ Barbuda:

I heard the government spokesman say something along the lines that it is difficult to draw investments in Barbuda because there is no private land ownership on the island.

I did a google search and found this on the US State Dept website:

Quote:
7. Protection of Property Rights

Real Property

The government of Antigua and Barbuda owns 55 percent of the land in Antigua. The remaining 45 percent is privately owned. Currently, land ownership is prohibited on the island of Barbuda. The Lands Division in the Ministry of Agriculture, Lands and Fisheries is the custodian of Crown lands on behalf of the Government.

https://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/othr/ics/2015/241460.htm

What foreign investor is going to invest any money into building or repairing a property on the island if they do not have any ownership rights to the property?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:08 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2776
jack t ripper wrote:
nero wrote:
Here's a recent video about hurricanes and effects of global warming. And some risk analysis too. A good watch, IMHO.
;)

I'm not going to watch if he ignores the decadal hurricane cycle. If so, I will watch it. Otherwise I will assume it is propaganda.

He us not addressing the decadal hurricane cycle, just because there is no such thing. There is a North Atlantic cycle though. ;)

But there are other interesting observations, like the Spanish shipwrecks during the Maunder minimum. And how the European So2 emissions produced a Hurricane drought from the 1950's onwards; and later a drought in Sahel. But those thing are connected.

Watch the video, you'd like it. ;)

There is some science. And more science. It is a pretty good lecture. Trust me.

:lol:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Last edited by nero on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:09 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2776
abradley wrote:
Was going to post this again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXxHfb66ZgM but you ignored it before, expect you'd ignore it again.

You and that other old senile in the video are good company. Together. :lol:

PATER NOSTER, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:27 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11537
Quote:
What foreign investor is going to invest any money into building or repairing a property on the island if they do not have any ownership rights to the property?

In Mexico it is against the law for non-Mexicans to own property. The work around is a Mexican bank owns the property and you basically lease it indefinitely from the bank for a value approximating the sale price, and then you sell your lease when you want to let it go.

So there might be a way. Shrug.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:00 pm 
Sergeant Major

mdiehl wrote:
Quote:

In Mexico it is against the law for non-Mexicans to own property. The work around is a Mexican bank owns the property and you basically lease it indefinitely from the bank for a value approximating the sale price, and then you sell your lease when you want to let it go.

So there might be a way. Shrug.

I think they would have to change the laws even to get to a Mexico-type system, since from what I read there is NO private property ownership on the island....not banks, not foreigners, not even citizens who have lived on the island their entire lives. I think on the island that ALL lands is publicly owned by the government.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:48 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 14073
I looked at Barbuda on satellite just curious. It's 2x2 miles and mostly uninhabitable. There's really nothing there to invest in. 1,500 ppl I guess. Mostly fishermen? I see dirt paths. No banks or malls. No beach side resorts. Apparently nobody ever thought of really building anything there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:15 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 11508
Its set to get a bit blowy over on this side of the pond for the next couple of days...

Quote:
The UK is set to experience the tail end of a category three hurricane with high temperatures and wind forecast.

As a result of Hurricane Ophelia, parts of England could see temperatures reach 25C on Sunday beating the 15C average for mid-October.

On Monday some areas of the UK will be hit with winds of up to 80mph (128km/h).

The hurricane will be a storm when it hits the UK, exactly 30 years after the Great Storm of 1987 killed 18 people.

On its way from the Azores in the Atlantic Ocean, Hurricane Ophelia has set the record for the most eastern category three hurricane in the Atlantic.

Western England, Northern Ireland and parts of Scotland will be most affected by the storm winds.

The Republic of Ireland's Met Office has issued a red warning for counties in Munster and Connacht, predicting that coastal areas will be hit by winds in excess of 80mph (130km/h) from 09:00 BST on Monday until Tuesday.

The ferocity of the hurricane will dissipate before it reaches the UK, but Ophelia's remnants are forecast to bring high winds in coastal areas.

The storm is often remembered for BBC Weather presenter Michael Fish dismissing reports that "there was a hurricane on the way".

Although he was right, storm winds of 100mph did batter the south of England, leaving a trail of destruction.

Eighteen people died and 15 million trees were destroyed as a result of the high winds.

It is thought that the storm caused £1bn in damage to property and infrastructure.

The Met Office has issued severe weather alerts ahead of Ophelia and has warned there could be potential power cuts, disruption to road and rail networks, and damage to buildings as a result of Monday's stormy weather.

But parts of England will benefit from the warm temperatures brought by the storm, with areas as far up as Nottingham expected to hit highs of 21C on Monday.

Clouds in central and southern England are expected to break up to provide sunny spells over the course of the weekend.

Some parts of the country have been enjoying a "mini heatwave" already. Ian Senior tweeted a screenshot of the temperature in Cambourne, Cambridgeshire, which was 17C on Saturday morning.

Jennie, who lives in Leeds, also wrote on Twitter that she never thought she would be "walk[ing] around bare legged wearing a skirt and short sleeved T-shirt" in mid-October.

But some parts of the country were still waiting for the temperatures to improve. Martin Cluderay, from Swaledale in the Yorkshire Dales, posted an overcast scene from the town titled: "Welcome to the heatwave."

And Jo Field from Buckinghamshire wrote: "Where's the mini heatwave then... I put my Ugg boots away and got my bikini out at the ready."

A yellow warning for rain in northern England was in place on Saturday morning, with 50mm of rain expected on high ground.

West Scotland and Northern Ireland will also receive heavy rainfall on Sunday.

BBC Weather has tweeted that Monday will bring "very strong winds" to the west of the UK with two yellow warnings for wind issued across much of the UK on Monday and Tuesday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41620071

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:39 am 
Sergeant Major

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ireland-brac ... 05547.html

Quote:
Two dead as Storm Ophelia batters Ireland

Reuters
By Clodagh Kilcoyne
Reuters
October 16, 2017

By Clodagh Kilcoyne

LAHINCH, Ireland (Reuters) - Two people died as Tropical Storm Ophelia battered Ireland's southern coast on Monday, knocking down trees and power lines and whipping up 10-metre (30-foot) waves.

Over 230,000 homes and businesses were without electricity with more outages expected and almost 150 flights from Ireland's two main airports at Dublin and Shannon were cancelled.

A woman in her 50s was killed by a tree falling on her car in the southeastern county of Waterford, police said. A man in his 30s died while trying to clear a fallen tree in an incident involving a chainsaw.

The storm, downgraded from a hurricane overnight, was the worst to hit Ireland in half a century. It made landfall after 10:40 a.m. (0940 GMT), the Irish National Meteorological Service said, with winds as strong as 176 kph (110 mph) hitting the most southerly tip of the country. Flooding was likely.

"These gusts are life-threatening. Do not be out there," the chairman of Ireland's National Emergency Coordination Group, Sean Hogan, said on national broadcaster RTE.

Schools, hospitals and public transport services were closed and the armed forces were sent to bolster flood defences. Photos on social media showed the roof of a stand at Cork City soccer club's Turner's Cross stadium had collapsed.

Hurricane force winds were likely in every part of Ireland, Prime Minister Leo Varadkar said, advising people to stay indoors. The transport minister said it was not safe to drive.

"While the storm in some parts of the country is not yet that bad, it is coming your way," Varadkar told a news conference.

Britain's meteorological service put an Amber Weather Warning into effect for Northern Ireland from 1400-2100 GMT, saying the storm posed a danger to life and was likely to cause transport cancellations, power cuts and flying debris.

"Impactful weather" is expected in other western and northern parts of the United Kingdom, it said.

British media are comparing Ophelia to the "Great Storm" of 1987, which subjected parts of the United Kingdom to hurricane strength winds 30 years ago to the day.

The storm is expected to move towards western Scotland overnight.

The Irish government said the storm was likely to be the worst since Hurricane Debbie, which killed 11 in Ireland in 1961.

It is likely to pass close to a western Ireland golf course owned by U.S. President Donald Trump, who has been planning a wall to protect its greens from coastal erosion.

Similar storms in the past have changed the shape of stretches of the Irish coastline, climatologists said.

(Additional reporting and writing by Padraic Halpin and Conor Humphries; Editing by Mark Heinrich)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:51 am 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:
The mayor of San Juan felt the need to criticize Trump and FEMA for their response to the Hurricane in Puerto Rico:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 8f311b4779

Quote:
Carmen Yulín Cruz, the mayor of San Juan, gave voice to this tension on Friday when she criticized acting Homeland Security Secretary Elaine Duke’s assertion that the federal response is “a good-news story in terms of our ability to reach people” and the relatively low death toll. In televised interviews, she said the situation on the island is anything but good news, with people scraping for food, and for their lives.

Cruz delivered what she described as a “mayday” call to Washington in a news conference Friday, decrying federal and local government logistical failures in delivering basic goods to communities across Puerto Rico. She said the federal response has “collapsed,” emotionally describing how provincial mayors have tried unsuccessfully to retrieve critical goods from the government command center in San Juan.

“People are dying in this country,” Cruz said. “I am begging, begging anyone that can hear us, to save us from dying. If anybody out there is listening to us, we are dying and you are killing us with the inefficiency and the bureaucracy.”

A follow up to the situation in Puerto Rico:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... vided.html

Quote:
Puerto Rico Delegate: Everything That We've Asked For, Trump Has Provided

Posted By Ian Schwartz
On Date October 14, 2017

In an interview with USA Today, Puerto Rico’s delegate in the House of Representatives, Jenniffer Gonzalez-Colon, discussed the aftermath of Hurricane Maria on the island and the way President Trump has handled the response.

"I will tell you that everything that the president said that he was going to send to the island, it's getting there. The resources are there. The help is there," Colon said.

"There are things that I never do, but, you know, the president is always out of the script," Colon remarked. "And I think that's the main difference. People are used to having politicians that are politically correct, that follow the script, and he's not like that. I mean, what you see is what you get and that's the way he is."

"He instructed all his cabinet members to treat Puerto Rico as a state, in terms of this hurricane," she said. "I mean, that kind of instruction is important to have access to all those programs."

From her interview with USA Today:

JENNIFFER GONZALEZ COLON: I was very surprised that the president was very aware of the situation on the island, having daily briefings in the situation room. He actually spoke with the governor once or twice a day, during the hurricane and after the hurricane.

So, that kind of conversation never happened before. I mean, this is a new way to have access to resources and communications. I was really grateful that he was listening to problems.

There are things that I never do, but, you know, the president is always out of the script. And I think that's the main difference. People are used to having politicians that are politically correct, that follow the script, and he's not like that. I mean, what you see is what you get and that's the way he is.

I won't say that I am comfortable or that I praise all the ways that he managed the issue, but I will tell you that everything that the president said that he was going to send to the island, it's getting there. The resources are there. The help is there.

He instructed all his cabinet members to treat Puerto Rico as a state, in terms of this hurricane. I mean, that kind of instruction is important to have access to all those programs.

News video at above link (this video covers more than just the comments transcripted above)

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35