maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will Napolitano Get A Proper Investigation?
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:20 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
As if tuition needs to go up any faster.. the usual political class crook appointees dig in.

And may well get away with it, once more, with little repercussions.

California AG punts on probe over allegations against UC President Napolitano

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra suggested he would not independently investigate the University of California after a state audit claimed its President Janet Napolitano kept a secret fund of $175 million while raising student tuition.

Becerra said Sunday that the audit was an issue for the California State Legislature to handle, even amid concerns over Napolitano’s interference with the audit.

“I think it is appropriate for the State Legislature to closely examine the audit … I believe the president of the UC system will continue to come forward with information; I think we have to get to the bottom of this,” Becerra said on NBC4’s “News Conference” program.

The report discovered a hidden reserve that had been growing thanks to Napolitano's office overestimating the 10-campus university system's needs.

Any formal probe into Napolitano’s office would involve questioning of the UC Regents, the governing body of the UC-system responsible for fiscal oversight. According to the California Constitution, it is “entirely independent of all political and sectarian influence and kept free therefrom in the appointment of its Regents and in the administration of its affairs.”

Napolitano, who served as secretary of Homeland Security in the Obama administration, is herself a former Regent, and some members and former members of the board are prominent Democrats. They include: Richard Blum, husband of Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.; California Gov. Jerry Brown, who appointed Becerra to his post as attorney general; and California Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon.

Becerra was asked if he would be more inclined to probe the UC system if the Board of Regents were stacked with Republican members with whom he did not have political relationships.

“I will go after any entity that is taking advantage of the California public, especially our tax resources,” Becerra said, acknowledging the familiar names and expressing confidence that the individuals would “come before the legislature” and “give the information we need.”

“If not,” Becerra said, “then people should be careful.”

The Board of Regents voted in January to increase in-state tuition and fees by $336 – or 2.5 percent – next academic year. But due to the findings of the audit, some lawmakers are calling for a reversal. The board is scheduled to meet on May 18 in a Closed Session and plans to discuss the audit of the administrative functions of Napolitano’s office, according to the minutes posted on their website.

A source within the Republican caucus of the California Legislature told Fox News that while they’d like to say Becerra’s decision was a “cop out,” the proper channel for further investigation is through Speaker Rendon.

On Monday, Republican members of the Assembly sent a letter to Rendon calling for a subpoena of documents relating to the audit.

“We believe this is not a partisan or political issue, but an issue of trust in our institutions,” the letter reads.

“We should not fear the truth, in fact I believe it is one of our key roles on behalf of our constituents to seek it out zealously," Republican Assemblyman Dante Acosta told Fox News. "The legislature has the power to issue a subpoena, and my Republican colleagues and I are urging the Speaker to take this necessary step to bring transparency to the UC Office of the President. California’s students, parents, and taxpayers deserve answers.”

Rendon's office pushed back, however, making clear they will not grant the request at this stage.

"The legislature does have the power to subpoena various agencies but that’s only done in cases where there is criminal malfeasance. But in this case, the speaker hasn’t seen that. At this point, he will not be asking for a subpoena,” a Rendon spokesperson told Fox News.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05 ... itano.html

Post subject: Re: Will Napolitano Get A Proper Investigation?
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:22 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Obama Crony Napolitano Slammed For Lavishing Taxpayer Dollars on $11,500 Apartment
May 9, 2017

While hundreds of thousands of her students struggle to pay for rising college costs, Janet Napolitano, the President of the vast University of California education system, maintained an $11,500 university funded apartment and a whopping $175 million secret reserve, or slush fund. The former Governor of Arizona, Ms. Napolitano, also previously served as the U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security under President Obama and was a close Obama confidante.

The shocking disclosures came in findings from California state auditors. They revealed that a total of “$862,000 was spent on Napolitano’s Oakland apartment over the past four years. That cost includes the $11,500 monthly rent for the 3,400-square-foot apartment, which was paid through endowment funds.” Napolitano is single and has no children. “Napolitano, as part of her employment, is required to live in a university-owned or -leased home, and that the apartment is (allegedly) used for official university business.”

Lawmakers in California said Napolitano’s expenditures and financial dealings “should have been disclosed (previously) to the public and the Board of Regents, which oversees the 10-campus university system.” Legislators from both sides of the aisle pounced on the revelations as tone deaf and evidence of arrogance, with one saying “holy cow manure.”

Auditors found Napolitano increased Administrative spending in the president’s office by an incredible 28%, or $80 million, from fiscal years 2012-13 to 2015-16.

The trouble for Napolitano may just be getting started. California State Auditors “charged that the president’s office interfered with the audit and tampered with surveys intended to provide independent opinions from UC campuses”.

Looking further into the audit records, The San Francisco Chronicle found that Napolitano’s office spent $4,200 on a retirement party for the director of UC’s California Digital Library. The Chronicle identified 20 parties for departing employees that cost more than $500 between 2014 and 2016. Ten of those were more than $1,000. For the average college party, that’s a lot of beer.

“Also included in the itemized spending was a dinner tab worth more than a year of tuition. The president’s office paid $13,000 for dinner and security at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco for 86 people in January 2016 to honor two departing members of the Board of Regents. Dianne Klein, a spokeswoman for Napolitano, said the regents dinners are paid for through a private endowment, not state funds.”

The spending also includes at least $2 million spent on cell phones and iPads over four years. “The number of cell phones and other devices issued by the president’s office increased 29 percent from 2012 to 2016 . During the same period, under orders from California Gov. Jerry Brown — who was working to decrease state costs — the state was drastically cutting the number of cell phones issued to state workers by an estimated 30 percent,” according to The Chronicle.

Ms. Napolitano was hired as President of the UC system in large part because of her track record as a politician supposedly able to negotiate with the enormous web of government money and interests which support the 238,000 students and 190,000 faculty and staff she oversees.

Responding to the audit, Ms. Napolitano partially fell on her sword saying “we are sorry we did it this way,” referring to how her office operated, but not necessarily for any specific expenditure.

Tuition at UC schools is going up this year by 3 percent, to $12,630.

https://heatst.com/politics/obama-crony ... apartment/

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:15 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Jesus! $11,500 a month apartment in Oakland? Does it come with 24 hr concubines or something? There is no way she has any talent worth that much money. Is that the lesbian bonus?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:59 am 
Sergeant Major

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/20 ... staff.html

Quote:
June 13, 2018

Air Force's 'most wanted deserter' discovered working on Janet Napolitano's staff

By Thomas Lifson

The former head of the Department of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano, managed to overlook the Air Force deserter with top-security clearance on her staff who has been a "most-wanted" fugitive for 35 years.

Nanette Asimov and Megan Cassidy report in the San Francisco Chronicle:

Employees in the University of California president's office in Oakland knew their former colleague Tim O'Beirne as the personable, brainy number-cruncher for the UC system's vast health benefits program.

They were stunned Tuesday to learn that the Air Force has identified him as William Howard Hughes Jr., a captain with top-secret clearance who vanished in 1983. The Air Force declared him a deserter and one of its most wanted fugitives – and some suspected he had defected to the Soviets – until his capture last Wednesday.

Captain William Howard Hughes (credit: USAF Office of Special Investigations).

I will refrain from comparisons of defecting to the Soviet Union to defecting to Janet Napolitano's staff because I am better than that. Also, he managed to con his way into the U.C. Office of the president years before Napolitano brought her expertise in security to the running of the vast University of California empire in 2013.

He was contracted to work in the UC president’s office during the mid-2000s.

O'Beirne/Hughes appears to have risen to a fairly responsible position without any real background-checking:

Former colleagues say he worked for UC as a consultant for much of the 2000s, preparing presentations to the UC Regents, representing UC in labor negotiations and drawing up the documents that would set forth their health insurance benefits for the rest of their lives.

"This just floors me," said Judy Boyette, a San Francisco attorney who signed O'Beirne's consulting contracts when she ran human resources and benefits at UC more than a decade ago. Looking at a photo of her former colleague in custody, Boyette was stunned. "My gosh, that's Tim! Oh, my word. That is unbelievable. But that's him! Wow."

She and other former colleagues described O'Beirne as smart, articulate – especially when describing complicated numbers and concepts so that others could understand them – and kind.

Hughes reportedly actually took a role in labor negotiations, which is one of the highest-profile and biggest responsibilities of the U.C. Office of the President. The University of California suffers from labor strife and strike threats on a regular basis. Payroll is a huge part of its budget.

Napolitano, an alleged expert on homeland security, apparently remained clueless for five years. It was the Air Force that caught him. And it seems to be squeezing him:

The Air Force said O'Beirne admitted last week that he was Hughes. He is in confinement at Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield amid an investigation, and has not been charged with a crime, said Linda Card, a spokeswoman for the Air Force Office of Special Investigations. No bail or court date have [sic] been set.

[The former head of the Department of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano, managed to overlook the Air Force deserter with top-security clearance on her staff who has been a "most-wanted" fugitive for 35 years.

Nanette Asimov and Megan Cassidy report in the San Francisco Chronicle:

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/20 ... z5InDeAZ13
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:54 pm 
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth

Reputation points: 15843
When will you racists learn liberals are better than you and they don't care what you think?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:13 am 
Sergeant Major

Did that chick ever get that white paint spot out of her hair?

Profile E-mail