maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Military Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:20 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
abradley wrote:
jack t ripper wrote:
Didn't know it was a remake. The new was has two nude group bathing scenes. :lol:
Yes, Ning found out and I can't watch it :cry:

Too bad. There is a cold waterfall scene with erect nipplage. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:02 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 11492
jwilkerson wrote:

Quote:
... New Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson stood in front of a room of airmen in the Pentagon recently and presented an unconventional proposal. What, she asked, if she eliminated every single one of the Air Force’s regulations and required service members to ask for the ones they need back?

Wilson paused for a moment, and dozens of airmen in the room laughed. It was a “bad idea,” she acknowledged, but then she pressed her point. The Air Force has too much bureaucracy, too many regulations and too many people stuck doing busy work, she said, as several senior officers sat listening.

“Now, we all still want to drive on the right side of the street and so on, but some of these things are not only not written in the English language, but if something goes wrong we’re going to say, ‘Oh, you didn’t follow Air Force instruction 210-dash-2.1, subparagraph X, and we’re going to hold you accountable,'” she said, according to a video viewed by The Washington Post. “It’s like, are you kidding me? And you know, there’s a whole bookshelf of these.”

Wilson concluded: “Let’s not try to tell them how to do everything. Let’s tell them what to do, and let them surprise us with their ingenuity.” ...

A perfect example of air farce culture can be seen in the actions of SAC during the XMAS bombing of 1972. For instance prescribing post drop turns, invented for nuclear bombing, but worse than irrelevant over Hanoi, since this maneuver exposed the B-52 to SAM fire, by both dramatically reducing the jamming power of their ECM and turning them in to the wind, to cause them to "hang" in the air during these turns. The whole story of the Hanoi bombing is one of a force who spent its time at peace and did not understand war ... before the bombing was over, SAC fired itself and let the line commanders run the show and the crazy loses stopped. The airfarce has a history of "over control" .. perhaps a bit understandable when we realize they are responsible for controlling a nuclear force. But lessons should be learned ... and officially they are not. The official airfarce history of the hanoi bombing praises SAC tactics. Which is not only an embarrassment to the truth, but disrespectful to the men who fought and died. The airfarce does need to fix this aspect.
I will discuss this further in the VN thread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2017/07/03/heather-wilson-left-a-troubled-home-for-the-air-force-now-shes-in-charge-and-pressing-for-a-culture-change-in-her-service/?tid=pm_world_pop

As to Heather's culture change? Good luck, it needs to happen, but I'd give her 1 chance in 50 to make it happen.
As a retired 22 year veteran of the USAF I ain't happy with your REPEATED use of the term 'Air Farce'.

There may be truth in your example, but your repeated use of 'Air Farce' obscures it in my eyes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:25 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 12927
If you have noticed ... I am an equal opportunity disrespecter ... :)

Further, in the military I was in, each service purposely disrepected the others ... like jocks on different teams or from different sports. Perhaps things were different in your days ... I was in the US Army active duty 1975-1979.

But you do motivate me to post about the "truth" ... regarding the Hanoi XMAS raids sooner ... I'll see if I can work on that in the next 24 hours ... look for it in the Vietnam thread ...

==
The other "truth" ... is that in battle, the USAF, USMC, USN and USA are all on the same team.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:41 pm 
Sergeant Major

My uncle loved the Air Force. Retired as a bird colonel. He loved Thailand and Japan and the PI. One of his kids was born at Incirlik. Worked on the Bravo Test......worked for the CIA for a while. WWII, Korea, Vietnam. He was there.

Apparently, the PI used to be quite a colonial paradise for someone with an officer salary. Domestic servants. Cheap booze. Inexpensive female entertainment.

Then he retired to San Antonio, which is quite a good deal for military retirees.

My dad was in the Air Force too..before he went to college..so he was a sergeant. We used to play with the 45 he had in the garage. Fortunately, there was no ammo. My cousin retired a Major from the Air Force (nursing). Amazing how young she was able to retire. Never married. Likes cigars and smooth whiskey. Nursing administration..you connect the dots. My other cousin was in the Marines, elnlisted man, killed in a car crash. :cry: The third cousin from that side was in the Navy. He was granted a medical discharge for sleepwalking. :lol:

Last edited by jack t ripper on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:46 pm 
buck private

jwilkerson wrote:
If you have noticed ... I am an equal opportunity disrespecter ... :)

Further, in the military I was in, each service purposely disrepected the others ... like jocks on different teams or from different sports. Perhaps things were different in your days ... I was in the US Army active duty 1975-1979.

But you do motivate me to post about the "truth" ... regarding the Hanoi XMAS raids sooner ... I'll see if I can work on that in the next 24 hours ... look for it in the Vietnam thread ...

==
The other "truth" ... is that in battle, the USAF, USMC, USN and USA are all on the same team.
You've been watching to many movies. Professional Military don't disrespect each other, you might be depending on the guys you just disrespected to save your butt.

Criticize, yes. But insults is the stuff of third rate movies.

Quote:
Parameters - Strategic Studies Institute - US Army War College
https://ssi.armywarcollege.edu/pubs/parameters/
This is the 'home' for the latest research and analysis.

Read a lot from this, don't remember any author using childish insults. They let the facts do the insulting when called for. They're professionals.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:55 pm 
buck private

jack t ripper wrote:
My uncle loved the Air Force. Retired as a bird colonel. He loved Thailand and Japan and the PI. One of his kids was born at Incirlik. Worked on the Bravo Test......worked for the CIA for a while.

Apparently, the PI used to be quite a colonial paradise for someone with an officer salary. Domestic servants. Cheap booze. Inexpensive female entertainment.

Then he retired to San Antonio, which is quite a good deal for military retirees.
Retired as enlisted back in '76, money is slimmer but enough for a quite life in Thailand.

Addon

Lord you've got a lot of military in your family, in my family there's just me and my older sister (RIP) was a catholic nun (does that count?).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:02 pm 
Sergeant Major

Strange thing is none of my brothers or sisters (8) have been in the military or any of my nieces or nephews (27)..though some are pretty young still. I used to get mail from the Navy and Air Force all the time wanting me to join....never got around to it. ;)

Had one uncle I never knew killed in a B-17 midair collision over Greenham Common in 1944. He enlisted at 18. His brother, the one who retired a Colonel tried to get him to go to college. He wouldn't listen to him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:22 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 17020
I didn't watch the video. Arab armies lose b/c they think someone who can figure out how to fix stuff is a scrub rather than a highly competent badass who can fix anything. Western Armies admire hyper-competent ppl. Arabs think they should clean the public lavatory. Also Arabs lie to each other up and down communications. When bullets are flying nobody can figure out what's probably going on.

Regarding 556 ammo, US soldiers tend not to shoot directly when they can't identify who they're shooting at. The Army ran tests and reckoned accurate fire out to 100 yrds or so is premium. Face to face soldiers simply won't shoot someone unless they know who they're shooting at. And even then they might not shoot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:32 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 12927
Quote:
... You've been watching to many movies. Professional Military don't disrespect each other, you might be depending on the guys ...

Perhaps YOU have been watching too many movies ... I go based on my own experience ... I don't much watch movies these days ...

==

Since such "disrespect" is done in jest ... there is no serious disrespect ... perhaps .. that is missing from the air farce point of view ?

==
Never the less ... I said I would post about the Hanoi bombing and I will !

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:44 am 
buck private

Referring back to Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson's comments, and nothing else, there is this video from CSPAN 'Court Martial of General Custer Law' where experts enacted the court martial of General George A. Custer. They focused on what the court martial would have entailed if General Custer had survived the battle of Little Big Horn.' The video is 2hr7min long, I suggest watching from 1:35:00 which is the jury's judgment and reasoning based on rules and regs.

Rules and regs are an important element of a military, do we have too many ... yes.

For the record, am a Custer fan.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 29  Next