maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Military Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:12 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9540
I almost called this the "US Military Thread" ... but I decided to open it up a little just in case ...
==

So you think you might want to fight in Afghanistan !!?? Better bring your face cover !!! (they don't wear those rags for nothing !!! :D )

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Military Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:17 pm 
First Sergeant

My understanding is that shithooks work better in afghanistan due to their better ability to function at higher altitudes than the blackhawks ... geez ... shithooks are as olde as I am ... we flew in them in the army i was in ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:32 pm 
First Sergeant

My favorite anti-war movies are Restrepo and Korengal ... my favorite war movies are Restrepo and Korengal .. a good war movie is a good anti war movie ... I am anti-war ... but I am pro military ... I believe an individual has the inherent right to defend his/her life against any one who would take it ... I believe groups of individuals have the inherent right to defend themselves against those who would do violence upon them ... hence the military is a good thing ... attacking others is not .. but afghanistan harbored those who attacked my group ... so we are justified to go there and make them stop.
So anyway ... those in the picture were in the 173rd Abn, based in Italy, but served in Afghanistan ... and their service is documented in the aforementioned movies ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:55 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14860
Restrepo was really good

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:50 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 3780
The Buck 73d is a hooah unit, wife and 4/10 Mtn relieved 'em....

Haji Haji Haji get your adverbs here knew the 173d was a serious group of kids.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:36 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 8532
A U.S. Air Force B-52 bomber flies over Osan Air Base on Jan 10. Photographer: Chung Sung-Jun/Getty Images
Quote:
The U.S. flew a B-52 long-range bomber over South Korea in a show of force after North Korea conducted its fourth nuclear test.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... clear-test

Quote:
The Boeing B-52 Stratofortress is an American long-range, subsonic, jet-powered strategic bomber. The B-52 was designed and built by Boeing, which has continued to provide support and upgrades. It has been operated by the United States Air Force (USAF) since the 1950s. The bomber is capable of carrying up to 70,000 pounds (32,000 kg) of weapons,[5] and has a typical combat range of more than 8,800 miles (14,080 km) without aerial refueling.[6]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_B- ... tofortress

Quote:
How a B-52 Stratofortress Holds a 35-Ton Load of Weaponry
And a quick tour of its load-outs.

By Eric Limer
Jun 21, 2016
The B-52 has been around for ages, and for good reason. Ever since its inception during WWII, it has been one of the best at what it does: carrying tons—literal tons—of weaponry. With a max load-out of 70,000 pounds or 35 tons, it can hoist ten elephants' worth of ordinance into the sky. But where does it all go?

Under the wings and in the bomb bay, of course, but this video from the Smithsonian Channel is a great illustration of the wide variety of configurations that allow the B-52 to hold nine missiles, bombs, or mines on each of its wings, with an extra cache of 27 weapons inside, or 8 cruise missiles if that's what you're into.

How a B-52 Stratofortress Holds a 35-Ton Load of Weaponry
And a quick tour of its load-outs.
(Continued)
http://www.popularmechanics.com/militar ... e-it-goes/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:22 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 13223
jwilkerson wrote:
My favorite anti-war movies are Restrepo and Korengal ... my favorite war movies are Restrepo and Korengal .. a good war movie is a good anti war movie ... I am anti-war ... but I am pro military ... I believe an individual has the inherent right to defend his/her life against any one who would take it ... I believe groups of individuals have the inherent right to defend themselves against those who would do violence upon them ... hence the military is a good thing ... attacking others is not .. but afghanistan harbored those who attacked my group ... so we are justified to go there and make them stop.
So anyway ... those in the picture were in the 173rd Abn, based in Italy, but served in Afghanistan ... and their service is documented in the aforementioned movies ...

Couldn't agree with you more.

I loathe war and love military. War is that shit sandwich that you may or may not eventually be called to eat whole, you hope you never have to do it but you have to make sure that if and when that day comes that you can really tear into that sandwich without any squeams.

I can't understand the anti-military bullshit. Military together with scientific community are the things that are necessary for our continued survival.

This all stuff on the ground, it's all kiddie league. We are already in the major league but most of us don't know it yet. Eventually we'll need to be able to defend our continued existence against whole species of other space faring interstellar folks.

The only good thing about that is that it might take several millennia and hopefully it will because that stuff is some serious business.

In the meanwhile we've got to make sure that we can maintain our science loving and free way of life while it's under attack by all sorts of people and ideologies. And that requires science, military and the occasional war.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:53 am 
First Sergeant

The Meyer and the Vinson UNREP off the Pecos in the vague direction of phat boi ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:30 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9548
Seems like a good thread for this one

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:03 am 
Corporal

Reputation points: 740
abradley wrote:
A U.S. Air Force B-52 bomber flies over Osan Air Base on Jan 10. Photographer: Chung Sung-Jun/Getty Images
Quote:
The U.S. flew a B-52 long-range bomber over South Korea in a show of force after North Korea conducted its fourth nuclear test.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... clear-test

My kid's job.

I tried, but color-blindness made this off limits for me.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next