maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Military Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:30 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 9532
jack t ripper wrote:
Strange thing is none of my brothers or sisters (8) have been in the military or any of my nieces or nephews (27)..though some are pretty young still. I used to get mail from the Navy and Air Force all the time wanting me to join....never got around to it. ;)

{Snip}
Yes, the military loves docs and nurses. Expect they offered some mouth watering deals.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:57 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16223
abradley wrote:
Referring back to Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson's comments, and nothing else, there is this video from CSPAN 'Court Martial of General Custer Law' where experts enacted the court martial of General George A. Custer. They focused on what the court martial would have entailed if General Custer had survived the battle of Little Big Horn.' The video is 2hr7min long, I suggest watching from 1:35:00 which is the jury's judgment and reasoning based on rules and regs.

Rules and regs are an important element of a military, do we have too many ... yes.

For the record, am a Custer fan.

I started watching the George Armstrong court martial.
Just 30 seconds in and it has the opportunity for comedy gold: 'SCOTUS Justice Ruth Bader-Ginsberg presides over the court as a 19th Century US Army general' :lol:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:34 pm 
buck private

jack t ripper wrote:
Too bad. There is a cold waterfall scene with erect nipplage. :lol:
Speaking of titties:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:12 am 
buck private

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:17 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 11164
New US commander in Afghanistan ... MG Fontes

Quote:
KABUL, Afghanistan -- Army Maj. Gen. Robin Fontes on Saturday assumed the highest position of any female servicemember in Afghanistan since the war began, taking over command of Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan.

"I promise to give you my full support, my best effort, my respect and my loyalty every day," Fontes told a crowd at a change-of-command ceremony. Fontes took over from outgoing Commander Army Maj. Gen. Richard Kaiser.

Fontes, a U.S. Military Academy graduate, has spent 12 years in the region, serving in Afghanistan multiple times, as well as in India, Pakistan and Tajikistan. She speaks three regional languages.

Army Gen. John Nicholson, commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, described Fontes as "the most proficient and competent officer" in the field of security assistance within the military. He said he had to fight to get her the position because she was heavily sought after in Washington.

"There is no officer of any service in the United States military that has more experience in this region than Maj. Gen. Robin Fontes," Nicholson said. "She is the best possible commander for this command. She will take this command to the next level."

In addition to taking control of CSTC-A, Fontes will assume the role of deputy chief of staff, security assistance for Resolute Support headquarters. CSTC-A is part of NATO's Resolute Support mission aimed at developing Afghan security forces. It provides resources and training in areas such as management and sustainability.

Before relinquishing command, Kaiser, who Nicholson described as "universally respected," told Stars and Stripes that he believed his tenure as CSTC-A commander was productive.

"I always hesitate to use the word success," he said. "We've had many successes, but there are many challenges that remain."

Kaiser said establishing Afghanistan's Anti-corruption Justice Center and implementing measures to identify and prevent so-called "ghost soldiers" were among his biggest successes.

He said issues regarding gender remain one of the biggest challenges, but he believes progress will be made under Fontes.

"I'm confident she'll do a wonderful job," Kaiser said.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/07/16/new-commander-is-highest-ranking-woman-officer-in-afghanistan.html?ESRC=army_170718.nl

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16806
Dang...that is one serious looking woman. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:42 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 15171
Time to rub it in for the Islamists - "are you going to surrender to a woman?"

I hope this slows down the exploitation of US ROE, the catch and release thing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:03 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
Didn't we "pull out" of Afghanistan!?!

Apparently not, eh . . .

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:01 pm 
buck private

Quote:
JUL 21, 2017 @ 11:56 AM 7,673 12 Stocks to Buy Now
Why The F-35 Fighter Will Be The U.S. Army's Best Friend In A Future European War

Loren Thompson , CONTRIBUTOR
I write about national security, especially its business dimensions.

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

U.S. Army leaders are worried about how their service would fare if called upon to repulse a Russian invasion of Eastern Europe. Moscow has spent the years since 9-11 gradually modernizing and professionalizing its conventional forces, while America's Army has been distracted fighting elusive adversaries in Southwest Asia. So the Russians have overtaken and surpassed U.S. Army capabilities in several key areas such as long-range fires, electronic warfare and air defense.
(Continued)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthomp ... b19b763257
Sounds good, but the we need a war against the best to prove it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:22 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 15171
abradley wrote:

Quote:
JUL 21, 2017 @ 11:56 AM 7,673 12 Stocks to Buy Now
Why The F-35 Fighter Will Be The U.S. Army's Best Friend In A Future European War

Loren Thompson , CONTRIBUTOR
I write about national security, especially its business dimensions.

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

U.S. Army leaders are worried about how their service would fare if called upon to repulse a Russian invasion of Eastern Europe. Moscow has spent the years since 9-11 gradually modernizing and professionalizing its conventional forces, while America's Army has been distracted fighting elusive adversaries in Southwest Asia. So the Russians have overtaken and surpassed U.S. Army capabilities in several key areas such as long-range fires, electronic warfare and air defense.
(Continued)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthomp ... b19b763257
Sounds good, but the we need a war against the best to prove it.

I have been personally been thinking that the US tendency to shift it's military from one that is able to crush Russian or Chinese brigades to one that is specialized in hunting down ragheads and taking out mudhuts is not necessarily the right move.

The only reason that there's ever been a necessity for such a shift is the involvement in occupation operations while maintaining unworldly high standards on avoiding collateral damage which extend to even avoiding killing of actual enemy combatants.

This is the stuff that always earns American military endless amount of sneering while it is important to realize that they still have massive firepower available and what they are doing may not make sense but is also incredibly difficult to achieve.

If anything, instead of shifting away from truly powerful machinery and systems there should be a shift towards an ROE that better allows the deployment of existing arsenal which itself is top-notch.

"But the people will bla bla if you hit them hard"

Let's take a look at the campaign for Winning Hearts and Minds in Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany. Hint, take a loot at the ROE and the force restrictions:

Turns out they turned out just fine people afterwards, ready to embrace democracy and Western institutions. Germans even gave away all the patents they owned voluntarily, no questions asked.

Actually. Maybe you guys hit Japan a little bit too hard..

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 26  Next