maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Military Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
abradley wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:
{Snip}

I think that US overseas military deployments have swung too far.
Having some 30,000 US troops in Germany is too many.
Having US military troops deployed in 149 different countries is ridiculous.
Don't know, having small units training and advising indigenous troops to counter our/their enemies is a lot better then what we did in Vietnam when we took over the whole operation.

As for the 30,000 in Germany, I don't know what their doing. Am sure there is some wastage, have reviews to see what's needed when and where.

The article provided multiple examples in Africa where US service members were killed or injured in active combat missions.

And its my understanding that a significant number (or maybe even majority) of service members stationed in Germany are there to support other overseas operations (those in the Middle East, Afghanistan, Africa, etc).

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:51 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 11853
chijohnaok wrote:
The article provided multiple examples in Africa where US service members were killed or injured in active combat missions.

And its my understanding that a significant number (or maybe even majority) of service members stationed in Germany are there to support other overseas operations (those in the Middle East, Afghanistan, Africa, etc).
My Bold It's hard being a pure advisor. indigenous troops often want you to show them how in operations, not just on blackboards.

Changed the Video because starting 2:20 it's explained.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:35 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4670
abradley wrote:
As for the 30,000 in Germany, I don't know what their doing.

I thought most of them were logistics/support and the like. Germany is mostly a stepping stone for operations in Africa/the Mid East... :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:34 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13427
Quote:
... My Bold It's hard being a pure advisor. indigenous troops often want you to show them how in operations, not just on blackboards ...

I'm reading the book ... so far ... I think it is the Afghan fighters, showing the US troops how to fight ... not the other way around !

Charging Tanks and ZSUs on horse back !!!

(and winning !!)

(Of course the American's showed the Afghans how to call in airstrikes ... and the bombs definitely helped ... )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:52 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 11853

How valid is the argument pro/con of the rifle itself. Leave Studler out of it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14720
Shafted? I thought the FNFAL was pretty much a piece of shit, no?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:44 pm 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17050
Anthropoid wrote:

There's not a single rifle in the world that wasn't "the right choice" according to someone out there.

Also people make a fucking spectacle out of whether some loading mechanism knob is round or spherical or if the rate of fire is 2.5 or 2.7 rounds per second and if the average accuracy over 150m is (screwed to bench) 95 or 90 or 85.

At the end of day most of the time you'd do just fine running around with semi-automatic 15 round rifles that fired slow and weren't super accurate.

The stuff that really counts is the overall quantities of hardware, that your hardware is competitive and that you can afford to replace it.

That your people will stand behind your military, that your leaders choose their wars smartly and so. And that once you're fighting for something worth fighting for you won't just pack up and quit.

The only real importance of +0.5% mentality is that by sticking to that kind of mentality means that you'll ensure that you're constantly improving your inventory.

Yet others can just get the next best thing and will win the war if they can stomach it longer than you unless you kill them all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:36 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14720
Kameolontti wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:

There's not a single rifle in the world that wasn't "the right choice" according to someone out there.

Also people make a fucking spectacle out of whether some loading mechanism knob is round or spherical or if the rate of fire is 2.5 or 2.7 rounds per second and if the average accuracy over 150m is (screwed to bench) 95 or 90 or 85.

At the end of day most of the time you'd do just fine running around with semi-automatic 15 round rifles that fired slow and weren't super accurate.

The stuff that really counts is the overall quantities of hardware, that your hardware is competitive and that you can afford to replace it.

That your people will stand behind your military, that your leaders choose their wars smartly and so. And that once you're fighting for something worth fighting for you won't just pack up and quit.

The only real importance of +0.5% mentality is that by sticking to that kind of mentality means that you'll ensure that you're constantly improving your inventory.

Yet others can just get the next best thing and will win the war if they can stomach it longer than you unless you kill them all.

All sounds true to me.

Still, I thought the FNFAL was a piece of shit, no? :mrgreen: way too much recoil, excessive accuracy and weight for an assault rifle, small magazine, complex and expensive components, not easy to field strip and clean if I recall.

True, it has its pros: rugged, accurate, powerful cartridge (one of you gun fetishists jump in here and correct me wherever I'm wrong, I'm just going from memory here, can't be bothered to look it all up . . .).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:22 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
Basically correct. In short, it's like an M1 Garand except less reliable. not as easy to clean, and does not use a stripper clip.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next