maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Sen. Pocahontas mansplains her Indian background
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politic ... story.html

Quote:
Warren addresses claims of Native American heritage

Senator Elizabeth Warren.
By Matt Viser and Liz Goodwin GLOBE STAFF FEBRUARY 14, 2018

WASHINGTON — Senator Elizabeth Warren made a surprise appearance at the National Congress of American Indians Wednesday morning, forcefully responding to President Trump’s derisively calling her “Pocahontas” and addressing her claims of Native American heritage more directly — and far more expansively — than she ever has before.

The Massachusetts Democrat also made an impassioned pledge to advocate for issues of importance for Native Americans, an indication that she is planning stronger outreach to tribes.

She did not apologize for her claims that her mother’s family had Cherokee blood — instead, reaffirming: “My mother’s family was part Native American. And my daddy’s parents were bitterly opposed to their relationship. So, in 1932, when Mother was 19 and Daddy had just turned 20, they eloped.”

“The story they lived will always be a part of me,” she planned to say, according to a copy of her prepared remarks. “And no one — not even the president of the United States — will ever take that part of me away.”

But she also planned to tell the gathered tribal leaders from around the country that she understood the distinction of being a member of a tribe, and that while it was part of her heritage, she was not a tribal member. She repeatedly referred to Trump’s insensitivity, not only in calling her Pocahontas but in doing it last year during an event at the White House meant to honor Navajo code-talker veterans of World War II.

“The joke, I guess, is supposed to be on me,” she said. “I get why some people think there’s hay to be made here. You won’t find my family members on any rolls, and I’m not enrolled in a tribe. And I want to make something clear. I respect that distinction. I understand that tribal membership is determined by tribes — and only by tribes.”

Responding to critics who claim she used a minority status to gain prestigious law professorships, she said: “I never used my family tree to get a break or get ahead. I never used it to advance my career.”

Warren — who has been criticized for not advocating more aggressively in the Senate for Native American issues, given her claims to ancestry — also appeared to assert greater common cause with Native Americans than she has in the past. It was her first formal speech before the group.

“For far too long, your story has been pushed aside, to be trotted out only in cartoons and commercials,” she said. “So I’m here today to make a promise: Every time someone brings up my family’s story, I’m going to use it to lift up the story of your families and your communities.”

Warren’s remarks come amid concern from some on the left that the murkiness around her claims of Native American heritage is a political blind spot that could stifle any rise in national stature. And while her attempts to address those concerns come much later than some had called for, the fact that she is delivering such a speech is an indication that she could have presidential ambitions in 2020.

While it has long been a rallying cry for the right, in recent months “The Daily Show” host Trevor Noah mocked her for claiming Native American ancestry, and the liberal website ThinkProgress wrote a critical piece by a Cherokee activist who called on her to apologize. The Globe last month wrote an in-depth story exploring some of her past claims and the current concerns.

Warren’s move to more publicly address the issue had some similarities to former president Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign speeches about race — which followed criticism of his ties to the controversial former pastor Jeremiah Wright — and to Mitt Romney’s 2007 speech about his Mormon faith. But Warren’s speech also appeared to be an attempt to defuse the controversy before it came under the full glare of a national presidential campaign.

Her speech also doesn’t come without significant risks in a toxic political environment and one that could provide Trump with another opportunity to criticize her.

But it is a fight that Warren seems to relish.

Her remarks began with an extended rebuttal to Trump, who has reappropriated a Native American hero and tried to use it as a slur to refer to Warren.

“I’ve noticed that every time my name comes up, President Trump likes to talk about Pocahontas,” Warren said. “So I figured, let’s talk about Pocahontas. Not Pocahontas, the fictional character most Americans know from the movies, but Pocahontas, the Native woman who really lived, and whose real story has been passed down to so many of you through the generations.”

She contrasted the popular fable — of a woman who met colonist John Smith, fell in love, and became a positive tale of colonization — with a darker, more accurate story of abduction and imprisonment.

“Indigenous people have been telling the story of Pocahontas — the real Pocahontas — for four centuries. A story of heroism. And bravery. And pain,” Warren said. “And, for almost as long, her story has been taken away by powerful people who twisted it to serve their own purposes.”

Warren kept quiet about her appearance before the National Congress of American Indians, which was held at the Capitol Hilton in downtown Washington, just a few blocks from the White House. Other prominent politicians — including Senator Lisa Murkowski, Republican of Alaska, and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi — also addressed the conference.

But even though her speech was planned in advance, Warren was not listed on the agenda. The Republican National Committee on Tuesday morning even blasted out an e-mail with the subject: “Fauxcahontas MIA From Major Native American Summit.”

“Why is she skipping the conference?” the RNC asked. “Maybe it’s because she would face some difficult questions at the summit.”

Warren grew up in Oklahoma, and, like many in a state with Native American roots, she has long said it was well known on her mother’s side of the family that they had Native American ancestry. She embraced that heritage during various points in her life, contributing five recipes to a 1984 book called “Pow Wow Chow: A Collection of Recipes From Families of the Five Civilized Tribes: Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek, and Seminole.”

From 1986 to 1995, she also listed herself as a minority in a legal directory published by the Association of American Law Schools, and she was listed as a Native American in federal forms filed by law schools at Harvard University and the University of Pennsylvania when she was employed at the schools.

Her claims of heritage were scrutinized during her 2012 US Senate campaign in Massachusetts. Warren’s rival, Scott Brown, said she not only lied about her roots but used it to advance her career at prestigious law schools.

Those involved in the hiring process have said they did not take her heritage into account when hiring her.

After her election to the Senate, Warren did not identify herself with the historian’s office as having American Indian heritage.

Her contacts with the Native American community have been fairly low-profile since her election. She’s backed a proposal to allow post offices to offer some financial services, which helps rural communities that could be beneficial to tribes, for example. She’s also worked to ensure data is collected to monitor education in Native schools, or to fight to combat opioid abuse, which affects Native Americans.

But Wednesday she said she was more committed to helping them, and she said she would honor the stories of pride, resilience, and hope.

“But there’s another story that also needs to be told. The story of our country’s mistreatment of your communities,” she said. “And this isn’t just a story about casual racism — war whoops and Tomahawk chops and insulting Facebook memes.”

For too long, she said, elected officials had ignored their plight. And she said she would be paying more attention. This week, according to one of her advisers, she is meeting with a half dozen tribal leaders.

“It is deeply offensive that this president keeps a portrait of Andrew Jackson hanging in the Oval Office, honoring a man who did his best to wipe out Native people,” she said. “But the kind of violence President Jackson and his allies perpetrated isn’t just an ugly chapter in a history book. Violence remains part of life today. The majority of violent crimes experienced by Native Americans are perpetrated by non-Natives, and more than half — half — of Native women have experienced sexual violence.”

“This must stop,” she added. “And I promise I will fight to help write a different story.”

Matt Viser can be reached at matt.viser@globe.com.

Quote:
She did not apologize for her claims that her mother’s family had Cherokee blood — instead, reaffirming: “My mother’s family was part Native American. And my daddy’s parents were bitterly opposed to their relationship. So, in 1932, when Mother was 19 and Daddy had just turned 20, they eloped.”
:roll:

Kyle comes across as more honest with regards to his background that Sen. Warren does with regards to her background.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sen. Pocahontas mansplains her Indian background
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:25 pm 
Sergeant Major

Simply listing herself as a "minority" in some faculty document WAS using it to get ahead. She is full of buffalo dung.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:33 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16211
On the one hand, I sympathize with her. I too have about 1/64th "Cherokee ancestry." You cannot "see it" whatsoever in my appearance, but it was _slightly_ visible in my mother, moreso in one of her younger brothers, and slightly moreso in my maternal great uncle--who actually received legal recognition as a "Native American" by undertaking the years long and $thousands process of having the records search to establish ancestry and becoming "officially" recognized by one of the tribes.

All that said, it is largely meaningless at this point, multiple generations after the initial miscegnation, and it is likely even more meaningless for Warren.

She may well have attempted to "play" that identity card, or she may have simply mentioned it offhand. If it was the former, then that is where my sympathy ends. If the latter then she is only worsening the mistake by making a big deal of it.

Here is the thing overall: identity politics in the U.S. is rotten through and through. At this point, there is virtually no aspect of our legal, ethical or social codes devoted to the "advancement" or "equalization" or even "reconciliation" of "minorities" which is, at best, beyond scrutiny, and at worst, beyond condemnation. The social institutions, policies, even the philosophies which have been piecemeal erected over the decades and centuries to "address" minority issues were often beneficent and necessary at the time that they were established. The fundamental error that we as a society suffer from is the assumption that, laws, policies, institutions, standards, moral codes pertaining to "minority justice" which were established in the "distant" past will always continue to serve their intended purpose effectively and copacetically.

What is needed is a new era in which it becomes requisite to speak openly, earnestly and dispassionately and without fear of partisan ferocity about these topics at every level of the society. In order for that to happen, there needs to be an overwhelming ethos of shared interest, something which is clearly lacking and which, paradoxically, the existing "culture" of minority and identity politics worsen.

Here is why Obama is the worst President in history: by his very nature he embodied more potential to heal these issues than any person ever. These issues are quite frankly, the MOST SERIOUS problem in American society. Instead of them being ameliorated during his reign, apparently they have been worsened quite a bit.

Trump is not the person to fix it, and neither is Warren nor any other public figure, other than perhaps Morgan Freeman

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:43 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8996
Badass Morgan Freeman: "Black history is American history."

Self Loathing Mike Wallace: "How are we going to get rid of racism?"

BMF: "Stop talking about it!"

Respect.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
Quote:
... BMF: "Stop talking about it!" ...

Exactamundo !!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:54 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 720
A simple DNA test should end all speculation.

Have a test, Liz.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:46 am 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:

Have a test, Liz.

And the truth has finally come out:

Warren releases results of DNA test

Quote:
Bustamante calculated that Warren’s pure Native American ancestor appears in her family tree “in the range of 6-10 generations ago.” That timing fits Warren’s family lore, passed down during her Oklahoma upbringing, that her great-great-great-grandmother, O.C. Sarah Smith, was at least partially Native American.

Smith was born in the late 1700s. She identified as white in historical documents, though at the time Indians faced discrimination, and Smith would have had strong incentives to call herself white if possible.

The inherent imprecision of the six-page DNA analysis could provide fodder for Warren’s critics. If her great-great-great-grandmother was Native American, that puts her at 1/32nd American Indian. But the report includes the possibility that she’s just 1/1024th Native American if the ancestor is 10 generations back.

So roughly 0.097 to 3 % Native Ancestry.

That figure is probably within the margin of error... :lol:

I doubt that having 1/32nd to 1/1024th Native Ancestry would get you recognized by any of the Native American tribes as a member.
Hell, my own son is 1/8 Cherokee, and IIRC, the Cherokee tribe will not recognize you as a tribal member for being anything less than 1/4 Cherokee.

I would rate Trump's claims of Warren being "Fauxahontas" as "mostly true".

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:30 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Attachment:
1539619176858.jpg
1539619176858.jpg [ 94.15 KiB | Viewed 362 times ]

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/stat ... 1089371137

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 720
chijohnaok wrote:
nero wrote:

Have a test, Liz.

And the truth has finally come out:

Warren releases results of DNA test

Quote:
Bustamante calculated that Warren’s pure Native American ancestor appears in her family tree “in the range of 6-10 generations ago.” That timing fits Warren’s family lore, passed down during her Oklahoma upbringing, that her great-great-great-grandmother, O.C. Sarah Smith, was at least partially Native American.

Smith was born in the late 1700s. She identified as white in historical documents, though at the time Indians faced discrimination, and Smith would have had strong incentives to call herself white if possible.

The inherent imprecision of the six-page DNA analysis could provide fodder for Warren’s critics. If her great-great-great-grandmother was Native American, that puts her at 1/32nd American Indian. But the report includes the possibility that she’s just 1/1024th Native American if the ancestor is 10 generations back.

So roughly 0.097 to 3 % Native Ancestry.

That figure is probably within the margin of error... :lol:

I doubt that having 1/32nd to 1/1024th Native Ancestry would get you recognized by any of the Native American tribes as a member.
Hell, my own son is 1/8 Cherokee, and IIRC, the Cherokee tribe will not recognize you as a tribal member for being anything less than 1/4 Cherokee.

I would rate Trump's claims of Warren being "Fauxahontas" as "mostly true".

And WH alternative science Kellyanne Conway with her infinite wisdom the result as fake science. :roll:

But even funnier response comes from the Great Orange Chief, the Stable Genius: he denies ever promising anything. :shock:

How long can he lie. Obviously for his base indefinitely. :twisted:

PS. I don't think that it was about does any tribe accept her as a member, but does she have any native DNA. ;)

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:41 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 10460
Man, James Woods is a national treasure!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next