SJW Thread

The rules: No spamming, no making a nuisance of yourself.

Moderators: chijohnaok, Kameolontti

Mac
First Sergeant

Re: SJW Thread

#221 Post by Mac » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:14 am

After being forced to buy a book for a a mandatory anti-white course and then forced to attend a brow-beating from its Latinx author, some white students rebeled by firing up a BBQ and burning the book.

The author has now cancelled her next talk because Georgia is an open carry state and she feels she may be in danger of getting murdered by white supremacists...
An author's second appearance at a Georgia university was cancelled after a few students burned copies of her book following an angry exchange during her first talk, which focused on diversity.

Jennine Capo Crucet spoke Wednesday at Georgia Southern University in Statesboro.

Freshmen were assigned to read her novel Make Your Home Among Strangers, which deals in part with a young Cuban-American woman's struggle to adapt when she enrolls at an elite northeastern college.

The assigning of a book for all freshmen to read and discuss is a common feature at many colleges.

so after our FYE book’s author came to my school to talk about it... these people decide to burn her book because “it’s bad and that race is bad to talk about”. white people need to realize that they are the problem and that their privilege is toxic. author is a woman of color. pic.twitter.com/HiX4lGT7Ci

In a statement Friday, Crucet said she was asked to give a talk on diversity and the college experience, saying she read from an essay on that subject in her recently published collection My Time Among the Whites.

The daughter of Cuban refugees, Crucet grew up in south Florida and went on to attend Cornell University.

She later became a professor at the University of Nebraska, and has won acclaim for her short stories and other work.

While taking questions, Crucet writes that 'a white student questioned whether I had the authority to address issues of race and white privilege on campus.'

About 60% of Georgia Southern's 26,000 students described themselves as white last fall.

The university's student newspaper, The George-Anne, reports an unnamed student told Crucet while she was taking questions before the freshman audience that 'I noticed that you made a lot of generalizations about the majority of white people being privileged. What makes you believe that it's OK to come to a college campus, like this, when we are supposed to be promoting diversity on this campus, which is what we're taught. I don't understand what the purpose of this was.'

Crucet wrote Wednesday on Twitter that the exchange included 'aggressive and ignorant' comments.

She later said it ended with students shouting at each other across the auditorium.

She said questions continued 'with other students apologizing for the strangeness and rudeness they felt their peer had shown.'

Crucet later signed books after the event ended.

But that wasn't the end of the conflict.

A video posted online shows some students later Wednesday burning copies of Crucet's book in a dormitory barbecue grill.

A since-deleted Twitter account also showed a picture of the novel with its pages torn out.

Crucet said university employees moved her Wednesday from her Statesboro hotel to a hotel in another town.

The author had been scheduled to give a similar talk Thursday on Georgia Southern's Savannah campus.

Georgia Southern spokeswoman Jennifer Wise said Crucet cancelled the second appearance, but Crucet wrote on Twitter Thursday that the event was cancelled because 'the administration said they could not guarantee my safety or the safety of its students on campus because of open carry laws.'

A 2017 Georgia law lets people with a state concealed-weapons permit carry guns on parts of public college campuses

Wise said Friday that university officials don't plan to discipline the students. University President Kyle Marrero sent an email to faculty, staff and students, saying that 'while it's within the students' First Amendment rights, book burning does not align with Georgia Southern's values nor does it encourage the civil discourse and debate of ideas.'

'Yes, I wish our students had engaged in a reasoned discussion,' Marrero wrote Friday. 'And yes, I wish these discussions had not deteriorated or led to broad generalizations that paint an ugly picture about our university.'

Some faculty groups were more critical.

'We assert that destructive and threatening acts do not reflect the values of Georgia Southern University,' wrote Russell Willerton, chair of the Department of Writing and Linguistics, in a statement released on behalf of his department.

Crucet said 'nothing close' to what happened at Georgia Southern has happened at other colleges where she's given the same talk.

She wrote that she fears for outsider students at Georgia Southern and called on the university to support them.

'To think of those students watching as a group of their peers burned that story - effectively erasing them on the campus they are expected to think of as a safe space - feels devastating.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -book.html
I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

jwilkerson
Sergeant Major

#222 Post by jwilkerson » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:20 am

... The author has now cancelled her next talk because Georgia is an open carry state ...
Well, that's good anyway.
Ugum Bugum Uber Alles - Iddi Ut Amine Dada !!

Mac
First Sergeant

#223 Post by Mac » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:36 pm

Students at Oxford University want to ban clapping...
Snowflake students at Oxford University are the latest to demand that clapping should be banned because applause noise can trigger anxiety and want 'jazz hands' to be used instead.

The idea for a British sign language alternative for clapping involving the waving of hands was put forward at the student union's first meeting of the year on Tuesday.

Sabbatical Officers Roisin McCallion, Vice President for Welfare and Equal Opportunity and Ebie Edwards Cole, Chair for Oxford SU Disabilities Campaign, successfully passed the motion to mandate the encouragement of silent clapping.

They argued that alternatives to traditional clapping have been in place to aid accessibility in some organisations since 2015.

The ban on clapping would be at student union meetings and events where traditional clapping and cheering 'presents an access issue' to those with anxiety disorders.

One former student, said: 'Oxford University Student Union is always seeking to be more accommodating for students. Especially for those with accessibility issues.

'But this idea will not work and is completely ludicrous.'

The use of jazz hands - where students wave their hands in the air - is the British Sign Language expression for applause and is deemed a more inclusive gesture.

It comes after the University of Manchester Students Union passed a motion to do the same thing in September last year.

Ms McCallion said: 'The policy was proposed in order to encourage the use of British Sign Language clapping during our democratic events to make those events more accessible and inclusive for all, including people who suffer from anxiety.

'Inclusivity is one of the Students' Union's founding principles.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... anned.html
I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

jack t ripper
Sergeant Major

#224 Post by jack t ripper » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:23 pm

The Beatles should have done "jazz hands" during "I want to hold your hand"
Strong supporter of global warming as I have invested in speculative vineyard properties around Nome

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: marching home to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY]Erica[/url]

#225 Post by Anthropoid » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:08 pm

Jazz hands are gay, as in "mentally deficient in basic cognitive and emotional functionality" gay, not "likes it in the butt" nor "joyous" gay . . .

nero
Sergeant Major

#226 Post by nero » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:20 pm

Mac wrote:Students at Oxford University want to ban clapping...
How about dancing?

Tough guys don't dance; incel's motto. :lol:
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: marching home to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY]Erica[/url]

#227 Post by Anthropoid » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:00 am

Motorcyclist who Identifies as Bicyclist Sets Amazing New World Record

So heroic!
NEW YORK, NY—In an inspiring story from the world of professional cycling, a motorcyclist who identifies as a bicyclist has crushed all the regular bicyclists, setting an unbelievable world record.

In a local qualifying race for the World Road Cycling League, the motorcyclist crushed the previous 100-mile record of 3 hours, 13 minutes with his amazing new score of well under an hour.

Professional motorcycle racer Judd E. Banner, the brave trans-vehicle rider, was allowed to race after he told league organizers he's always felt like a bicyclist in a motorcyclist's body.

"Look, my ride has handlebars, two wheels, and a seat," he told reporters as he accepted a trophy for his incredible time trial. "Just because I've got a little extra hardware, such as an 1170-cc flat-twin engine with 110 horsepower, doesn't mean I have any kind of inherent advantage here."

Banner also said he painted the word "HUFFY" on the side of his bike, ensuring he has no advantage over the bikes that came out of the factory as bicycles.

Some critics say he needs to cut off his motor in order to make the competition fairer, but he quickly called these people bigots, and they were immediately banned from professional cycle racing.

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#228 Post by chijohnaok » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:21 pm

For those not wanting to watch the entire video here is an article that deals with this:

https://hotair.com/archives/john-s-2/20 ... whiteness/
Debate Professor: Science Is A Projection Of Whiteness

JOHN SEXTON Posted at 1:01 pm on October 28, 2019

“Our argument will be that space is not real. It’s not real. Science, technology, it’s all fake. It’s a projection of white fantasies that has worked to control our interpretation of how the world works.” That’s the statement of a college debate professor talking with his class. He added, “None of us have had the privilege of going to f**king space to verify that there’s these stars and these galaxies and these planets.”

Part of me would love for this to be a clever hoax but I don’t think it is. Nine months ago this same university student, Michael Moreno, made a splash when he posted a video that showed him losing a debate because he quoted Ben Shapiro. Now he’s back with a lengthy recording of his debate professor preparing for a debate about international cooperation in space, i.e. should nations team up to put solar panels in space? But rather than sticking to the topic, the professor introduces a heavy dose of postmodernism mixed with intersectionality.

“Imagine someone who grew up inner-city, Kansas City for instance, who never left a 20-block radius,” the professor suggested. He continued, “They can’t even fathom that there’s mountains in the world let alone that there’s something outside of that…And so structural inequity, to some degree, because of our lack of privilege in terms of mobility determines what we can understand to be real and falsifiable.

“Whiteness then works and then appropriates science and technology to say ‘This is true while this is not true because it’s not verifiable.’…It’s a hyperfocus on the experiential for those who does not capitulate with whiteness.”

At this point, Moreno asked a couple of simple questions: “So what about telescopes or black astronauts who have been to space?”

“What black astronauts have been to space?” the professor asked.

“There’s been like fourteen. If you just Google ‘black astronauts’ there’s a lot of them,” Moreno replied.

The professor argued that not all astronauts have actually gone to space. Moreno replied by citing this Wikipedia page which includes photos of 14 black astronauts in space suits.

“Did you just use in an academic space, you just cited Wikipedia?” the professor asked. So it’s okay to question the existence of the planets, four of which can be seen in the night sky without a telescope, in an academic setting, but citing Wikipedia is a bridge too far!

When Moreno argued that the experience of these astronauts proves space exists and is real, the professor countered that, since he hadn’t personally been to space, he could verify that it’s not real. “You can verify that space isn’t real because you haven’t been there?” the student said.

“My life is evidence of the fact that space does not exist,” the professor replied.

As the debate goes on, the professor suggested that maybe the black astronauts are participating in whiteness, meaning…actually I’m not sure how that works but he seems to think it made sense.

Moreno eventually compared the claim that space does not exist to another claim: “Paris doesn’t exist because I’ve never been there.”

“Correct,” the professor replied.

When Moreno pointed out there is lots of evidence that Paris exists, the professor began talking about colonialism. And that’s just the first few minutes of the audio below. The segment after this features the professor comparing international cooperation for the purpose of space exploration to “gang-bangs.” And later still, some students suggest sending all white people on a one-way trip into space. It’s a reverse Day of Absence on a global scale.

I think the clip speaks for itself but I’d just say that back when the Evergreen State College meltdown happened, professor Bret Weinstein said that the push for social justice had triumphed in the humanities departments it would eventually wind up knocking on the door of the sciences. I think this video suggests he was correct about that. If you’ve put a premium on identity and ‘lived experience’ you’re eventually going to want to discount claims of truth that might contradict or supersede those personal views.
'If I didn't personally experience something then it does not exist' :roll:

The university that the professor works for should fire him.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

mdiehl
Sergeant Major

#229 Post by mdiehl » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:48 pm

To be sure, the guy is a debate professor not a science professor. So I wonder if he was using experiential relevance as a kind of rhetorical device to set up the debate.

Also, I'd like to point out that some fairly highfalutin PhD physicists made a similar argument in re a certain cat. It cannot exist in one or another of two states until someone has examined that cat. I always understood the argument to be not about the cat itself, but rather about information regarding the state of the cat. But on Science Friday a couple months back I heard one highfalutin PhD physicist saying "No, it's really that objectively that cat is neither dear or alive. It's not about the information. It's about the cat." To which I surmised that the PhD physicist was poor at analytical reasoning.*

* In mathematics, one way to logically falsify an argument is to show that the argument leads to conclusions that contradict an assumption of the argument. In mathematics, an "assumption" is basically a thing otherwise known by prior proofs to be true. So it's not an assumption of the "everyone knows that where I live" form. Anyhow, my point is, that if the cat is really truly objectively neither alive nor dead until observed by an observer, then the observer is likewise neither truly alive nor dead (because we have no evidence that the observer exists unless the observer opens the box); But in order for the observer to open the box, the observer must be alive (this seems to me like a very reasonable assumption). Therefore the observer cannot be both alive and dead nor neither alive nor dead. Therefore, the cat must be either alive or dead, not both, and not neither.

Which gets back to the debate prof. As a rhetorical device it's interesting. As a general claim about objective, existential reality, he's dead wrong.
"Fuck the king." - Sandor Clegane
"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits
'Our father, which art in heaven..' "May he fucking stay there." - Al Swearengen, Deadwood

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#230 Post by chijohnaok » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:54 pm

To be sure, the guy is a debate professor not a science professor. So I wonder if he was using experiential relevance as a kind of rhetorical device to set up the debate.
Still, debates usually involve the introduction of facts, or the use of logic to prove your argument or disprove the other side.

If all that I have to do is say "I have no personal experience regarding that point that you are making, therefore your point is invalid" then what is the point of debating?
(sorry if I overdosed on the word "point")
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links