maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marvel Blames Diversity For Fall In Comic Book Sales
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:38 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 18898
Well who knew that butchering iconic characters for the sole reason of identity politics was going to alienate your core audience?

Quote:
Despite forming the basis for the multi-million dollar blockbusters that have recently overtaken Hollywood, Marvel comic book sales have been falling.

Well, Marvel VP of Sales, David Gabriel, spoke about what they believe could possibly lead to the decline, putting the blame on diversity.

“What we heard was that people didn’t want any more diversity,” Gabriel told ICv2 at the Marvel Retailer summit. “They didn’t want female characters out there. That’s what we heard, whether we believe that or not.”

He continued: “I don’t know that that’s really true, but that’s what we saw in sales. We saw the sales of any character that was diverse, any character that was new, our female characters, anything that was not a core Marvel character, people were turning their nose up against.

“That was difficult for us because we had a lot of fresh, new, exciting ideas that we were trying to get out and nothing new really worked.”

Later on, after the comments were picked up by numerous outlets, Gabriel clarified how Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, The Mighty Thor, Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales, and Moon Girl continue to prove popular and won’t be going anywhere anytime soon.

In recent years, Marvel has made steps to diversify their roster of heroes, often to large critical acclaim. Falling sales because of this seems rather minimal: instead, most fans have questioned the price of comic books in recent years.

As iO9 points out, the average price of a Marvel comic in the US stands around $3.99 to $5.99. Over here in the UK, to purchase the most recent Mighty Thor you’re looking to spend around £2.49 for the 22-page comic.

Meanwhile, over in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Brie Larson will play the first leading female superhero in 2019, taking on the role of Captain Marvel.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 62771.html

Attachment:
1491223913688.jpg
1491223913688.jpg [ 176.59 KiB | Viewed 2031 times ]

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Marvel Blames Diversity For Fall In Comic Book Sales
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:54 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 5632
Well they decided Cap was really a Nazi, they decided that Ms Marvel needed to be a Muslim, they decided that Iron Man needed to be a TG black "chick".....

I'd have just settled for non shit lefty leaning editorial voice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:47 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 6762
Mac wrote:
Well who knew that butchering iconic characters for the sole reason of identity politics was going to alienate your core audience?

Quote:
Despite forming the basis for the multi-million dollar blockbusters that have recently overtaken Hollywood, Marvel comic book sales have been falling.

Well, Marvel VP of Sales, David Gabriel, spoke about what they believe could possibly lead to the decline, putting the blame on diversity.

“What we heard was that people didn’t want any more diversity,” Gabriel told ICv2 at the Marvel Retailer summit. “They didn’t want female characters out there. That’s what we heard, whether we believe that or not.”

He continued: “I don’t know that that’s really true, but that’s what we saw in sales. We saw the sales of any character that was diverse, any character that was new, our female characters, anything that was not a core Marvel character, people were turning their nose up against.

“That was difficult for us because we had a lot of fresh, new, exciting ideas that we were trying to get out and nothing new really worked.”

Later on, after the comments were picked up by numerous outlets, Gabriel clarified how Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, The Mighty Thor, Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales, and Moon Girl continue to prove popular and won’t be going anywhere anytime soon.

In recent years, Marvel has made steps to diversify their roster of heroes, often to large critical acclaim. Falling sales because of this seems rather minimal: instead, most fans have questioned the price of comic books in recent years.

As iO9 points out, the average price of a Marvel comic in the US stands around $3.99 to $5.99. Over here in the UK, to purchase the most recent Mighty Thor you’re looking to spend around £2.49 for the 22-page comic.

Meanwhile, over in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Brie Larson will play the first leading female superhero in 2019, taking on the role of Captain Marvel.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 62771.html

Attachment:
1491223913688.jpg

From your own article:

Quote:

So which is it? Marvel and DC going with a more diverse line up is nothing new. They've been doing it for years to mixed success. Nick Fury was remade to be modeled after Samuel L Jackson to huge success. James Rhodes was Ironman and the comic didn't suffer. Sam Wilson was Captain America for a while and no one batted an eye. There have been multiple females that have worn the Spiderman outfit. The She-Hulk does hurt for sales. There are hundreds of examples of a diverse group of people playing the role of iconic characters (for example, John Stewart replacing Hal Jordan) so what is the problem now?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

sven wrote:
Well they decided Cap was really a Nazi, they decided that Ms Marvel needed to be a Muslim, they decided that Iron Man needed to be a TG black "chick".....

I'd have just settled for non shit lefty leaning editorial voice.

When did Marvel and DC NOT have "lefty leaning editorial voice"? You must not have read many comic books...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:53 pm 
Staff Sergeant

knuckles_95 wrote:
When did Marvel and DC NOT have "lefty leaning editorial voice"? You must not have read many comic books...

They did not go full retard SJW until right around the time you got bit by the kiss of the moonbat Chuck.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:54 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 18898
knuckles_95 wrote:
so what is the problem now?

I don't know. Ask Marvel's VP of Sales, he is the one claiming that their customers are turning their noses up at their new more diverse characters.

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:55 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Mac wrote:
knuckles_95 wrote:
so what is the problem now?

I don't know. Ask Marvel's VP of Sales, he is the one claiming that their customers are turning their noses up at their new more diverse characters.

Chuck says the Thor was always a chick so it is a-ok...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:59 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
sven wrote:
knuckles_95 wrote:

They did not go full retard SJW until right around the time you got bit by the kiss of the moonbat Chuck.

heh.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

sven wrote:
knuckles_95 wrote:

Yeah?

Quote:
Civil War is a 2006–2007 Marvel Comics crossover storyline consisting of a seven-issue limited series of the same name written by Mark Millar and penciled by Steve McNiven, and various other tie-in books published by Marvel at the time. The storyline builds upon the events that developed in previous Marvel storylines, particularly "Avengers Disassembled", "House of M", and "Decimation". The tagline for the series is, "Whose Side Are You On?"

The plot of the series follows a framework story line in which the U.S. government passes a Superhero Registration Act, ostensibly designed to have super powered individuals act under official regulation, somewhat akin to law enforcement. However, superheroes opposed to the act, led by Captain America, find themselves in conflict with those supporting the act, led by Iron Man, with Spider-Man caught in the middle; the X-Men take a neutral stance. The superheroes in support of the law, such as Iron Man, Dr. Reed Richards, and Ms. Marvel, become increasingly authoritarian. In the aftermath of the war, Captain America surrenders and is imprisoned. The conflict between freedom and security is an underlying theme in the story line, with real-life events and discussions, such as the U.S. government's increased surveillance of its citizens, serving as a backdrop for the events in Civil War. A sequel, Civil War II, debuted in June 2016.
You're right they didn't have a left lean to them until Obama came and turned over the apple cart :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:05 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Right around the time you went SJW full retard Chuck... 2006....

Hmm damnedest thing, sure is a great thing evil Chimp McHaliburton's surveillance superstate was killed by Mocha Jesus ain't it?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... -1.3017581