maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Marvel Blames Diversity For Fall In Comic Book Sales
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:38 pm 
Offline
Gunnery Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:16 am
Posts: 6302
Location: The Cockney Paradise
Reputation points: 18898
Well who knew that butchering iconic characters for the sole reason of identity politics was going to alienate your core audience?

Quote:
Despite forming the basis for the multi-million dollar blockbusters that have recently overtaken Hollywood, Marvel comic book sales have been falling.

Well, Marvel VP of Sales, David Gabriel, spoke about what they believe could possibly lead to the decline, putting the blame on diversity.

“What we heard was that people didn’t want any more diversity,” Gabriel told ICv2 at the Marvel Retailer summit. “They didn’t want female characters out there. That’s what we heard, whether we believe that or not.”

He continued: “I don’t know that that’s really true, but that’s what we saw in sales. We saw the sales of any character that was diverse, any character that was new, our female characters, anything that was not a core Marvel character, people were turning their nose up against.

“That was difficult for us because we had a lot of fresh, new, exciting ideas that we were trying to get out and nothing new really worked.”

Later on, after the comments were picked up by numerous outlets, Gabriel clarified how Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, The Mighty Thor, Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales, and Moon Girl continue to prove popular and won’t be going anywhere anytime soon.

In recent years, Marvel has made steps to diversify their roster of heroes, often to large critical acclaim. Falling sales because of this seems rather minimal: instead, most fans have questioned the price of comic books in recent years.

As iO9 points out, the average price of a Marvel comic in the US stands around $3.99 to $5.99. Over here in the UK, to purchase the most recent Mighty Thor you’re looking to spend around £2.49 for the 22-page comic.

Meanwhile, over in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Brie Larson will play the first leading female superhero in 2019, taking on the role of Captain Marvel.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 62771.html


Attachment:
1491223913688.jpg
1491223913688.jpg [ 176.59 KiB | Viewed 2031 times ]

_________________
I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marvel Blames Diversity For Fall In Comic Book Sales
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:54 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:41 pm
Posts: 4699
Reputation points: 5632
Well they decided Cap was really a Nazi, they decided that Ms Marvel needed to be a Muslim, they decided that Iron Man needed to be a TG black "chick".....

I'd have just settled for non shit lefty leaning editorial voice.

_________________
Nemo me impune lacessit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marvel Blames Diversity For Fall In Comic Book Sales
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:47 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:26 am
Posts: 11537
Reputation points: 6762
Mac wrote:
Well who knew that butchering iconic characters for the sole reason of identity politics was going to alienate your core audience?

Quote:
Despite forming the basis for the multi-million dollar blockbusters that have recently overtaken Hollywood, Marvel comic book sales have been falling.

Well, Marvel VP of Sales, David Gabriel, spoke about what they believe could possibly lead to the decline, putting the blame on diversity.

“What we heard was that people didn’t want any more diversity,” Gabriel told ICv2 at the Marvel Retailer summit. “They didn’t want female characters out there. That’s what we heard, whether we believe that or not.”

He continued: “I don’t know that that’s really true, but that’s what we saw in sales. We saw the sales of any character that was diverse, any character that was new, our female characters, anything that was not a core Marvel character, people were turning their nose up against.

“That was difficult for us because we had a lot of fresh, new, exciting ideas that we were trying to get out and nothing new really worked.”

Later on, after the comments were picked up by numerous outlets, Gabriel clarified how Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, The Mighty Thor, Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales, and Moon Girl continue to prove popular and won’t be going anywhere anytime soon.

In recent years, Marvel has made steps to diversify their roster of heroes, often to large critical acclaim. Falling sales because of this seems rather minimal: instead, most fans have questioned the price of comic books in recent years.

As iO9 points out, the average price of a Marvel comic in the US stands around $3.99 to $5.99. Over here in the UK, to purchase the most recent Mighty Thor you’re looking to spend around £2.49 for the 22-page comic.

Meanwhile, over in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Brie Larson will play the first leading female superhero in 2019, taking on the role of Captain Marvel.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 62771.html


Attachment:
1491223913688.jpg

From your own article:

Quote:
In recent years, Marvel has made steps to diversify their roster of heroes, often to large critical acclaim. Falling sales because of this seems rather minimal: instead, most fans have questioned the price of comic books in recent years.

So which is it? Marvel and DC going with a more diverse line up is nothing new. They've been doing it for years to mixed success. Nick Fury was remade to be modeled after Samuel L Jackson to huge success. James Rhodes was Ironman and the comic didn't suffer. Sam Wilson was Captain America for a while and no one batted an eye. There have been multiple females that have worn the Spiderman outfit. The She-Hulk does hurt for sales. There are hundreds of examples of a diverse group of people playing the role of iconic characters (for example, John Stewart replacing Hal Jordan) so what is the problem now?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marvel Blames Diversity For Fall In Comic Book Sales
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:50 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:26 am
Posts: 11537
Reputation points: 6762
sven wrote:
Well they decided Cap was really a Nazi, they decided that Ms Marvel needed to be a Muslim, they decided that Iron Man needed to be a TG black "chick".....

I'd have just settled for non shit lefty leaning editorial voice.

When did Marvel and DC NOT have "lefty leaning editorial voice"? You must not have read many comic books...


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marvel Blames Diversity For Fall In Comic Book Sales
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:53 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:41 pm
Posts: 4699
Reputation points: 5632
knuckles_95 wrote:
When did Marvel and DC NOT have "lefty leaning editorial voice"? You must not have read many comic books...



They did not go full retard SJW until right around the time you got bit by the kiss of the moonbat Chuck.

_________________
Nemo me impune lacessit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marvel Blames Diversity For Fall In Comic Book Sales
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:54 pm 
Offline
Gunnery Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:16 am
Posts: 6302
Location: The Cockney Paradise
Reputation points: 18898
knuckles_95 wrote:
so what is the problem now?

I don't know. Ask Marvel's VP of Sales, he is the one claiming that their customers are turning their noses up at their new more diverse characters.

_________________
I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marvel Blames Diversity For Fall In Comic Book Sales
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:55 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:41 pm
Posts: 4699
Reputation points: 5632
Mac wrote:
knuckles_95 wrote:
so what is the problem now?

I don't know. Ask Marvel's VP of Sales, he is the one claiming that their customers are turning their noses up at their new more diverse characters.



Chuck says the Thor was always a chick so it is a-ok...

_________________
Nemo me impune lacessit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marvel Blames Diversity For Fall In Comic Book Sales
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:59 pm 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 19220
Reputation points: 18052
sven wrote:
knuckles_95 wrote:
When did Marvel and DC NOT have "lefty leaning editorial voice"? You must not have read many comic books...



They did not go full retard SJW until right around the time you got bit by the kiss of the moonbat Chuck.



heh.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marvel Blames Diversity For Fall In Comic Book Sales
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:01 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:26 am
Posts: 11537
Reputation points: 6762
sven wrote:
knuckles_95 wrote:
When did Marvel and DC NOT have "lefty leaning editorial voice"? You must not have read many comic books...



They did not go full retard SJW until right around the time you got bit by the kiss of the moonbat Chuck.

Yeah?

Quote:
Civil War is a 2006–2007 Marvel Comics crossover storyline consisting of a seven-issue limited series of the same name written by Mark Millar and penciled by Steve McNiven, and various other tie-in books published by Marvel at the time. The storyline builds upon the events that developed in previous Marvel storylines, particularly "Avengers Disassembled", "House of M", and "Decimation". The tagline for the series is, "Whose Side Are You On?"

The plot of the series follows a framework story line in which the U.S. government passes a Superhero Registration Act, ostensibly designed to have super powered individuals act under official regulation, somewhat akin to law enforcement. However, superheroes opposed to the act, led by Captain America, find themselves in conflict with those supporting the act, led by Iron Man, with Spider-Man caught in the middle; the X-Men take a neutral stance. The superheroes in support of the law, such as Iron Man, Dr. Reed Richards, and Ms. Marvel, become increasingly authoritarian. In the aftermath of the war, Captain America surrenders and is imprisoned. The conflict between freedom and security is an underlying theme in the story line, with real-life events and discussions, such as the U.S. government's increased surveillance of its citizens, serving as a backdrop for the events in Civil War. A sequel, Civil War II, debuted in June 2016.
You're right they didn't have a left lean to them until Obama came and turned over the apple cart :roll:


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marvel Blames Diversity For Fall In Comic Book Sales
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:05 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:41 pm
Posts: 4699
Reputation points: 5632
Right around the time you went SJW full retard Chuck... 2006....

Hmm damnedest thing, sure is a great thing evil Chimp McHaliburton's surveillance superstate was killed by Mocha Jesus ain't it?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... -1.3017581

_________________
Nemo me impune lacessit.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jwilkerson and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group