maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Marvel Blames Diversity For Fall In Comic Book Sales
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:08 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 6762
sven wrote:
Chuck says the Thor was always a chick so it is a-ok...

No but they've made other dramatic character changes without harming the comic. What's the difference now? Comic books have multiverses. In this universe Thor is Jane Foster and in another it's the same old Thor. In the Amazing Spider-man universe Spider-man is Hispanic and in the Ultimate Spider-man universe he's Peter Parker.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:10 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 5257
knuckles_95 wrote:
sven wrote:
Chuck says the Thor was always a chick so it is a-ok...

No but they've made other dramatic character changes without harming the comic. What's the difference now? Comic books have multiverses. In this universe Thor is Jane Foster and in another it's the same old Thor. In the Amazing Spider-man universe Spider-man is Hispanic and in the Ultimate Spider-man universe he's Peter Parker.

Right Chuck....

Why I remember when they made Power Man a Village People Reject SJW White Gal....wait that never happened....

Look I pulled a comic pull until I was 29 years old through inertia, my son laughed at their stupidity and SJW bent and quit at 14....

he's a better person than I am and a stronger idealist I think....right around the time a WW2 veteran was acting like Ezra Klein he checked out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:12 pm 
Sergeant Major

Mac wrote:
knuckles_95 wrote:
so what is the problem now?

I don't know. Ask Marvel's VP of Sales, he is the one claiming that their customers are turning their noses up at their new more diverse characters.

That's because hardcore fanatics are going to turn their nose up at ANY changes that are made to characters and they tend to be most vocal. Those are the ones he's more likely to hear from. These are the same people that complained about Spider-man's black symbiote suit...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:14 pm 
Staff Sergeant

knuckles_95 wrote:
That's because hardcore fanatics are going to turn their nose up at ANY changes that are made to characters and they tend to be most vocal. Those are the ones he's more likely to hear from. These are the same people that complained about Spider-man's black symbiote suit...

Right and sales...uh well Chuck they skyrocketed in that era....no stud this is different....

If I want to pay someone to shit on me I can go to Reno, if I want my son taught Alien Values I can hire that dork from the History Channel....

If Thor has tits Lad can do what he is doing and go read Snorri.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:18 pm 
Sergeant Major

sven wrote:
Right Chuck....

Why I remember when they made Power Man a Village People Reject SJW White Gal....wait that never happened....

Look I pulled a comic pull until I was 29 years old through inertia, my son laughed at their stupidity and SJW bent and quit at 14....

he's a better person than I am and a stronger idealist I think....right around the time a WW2 veteran was acting like Ezra Klein he checked out.

No they just took an old ancient Asian mystical monk and turned him into a middle-aged Celtic white gal...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:22 pm 
Staff Sergeant

knuckles_95 wrote:
No they just took an old ancient Asian mystical monk and turned him into a middle-aged Celtic white gal...

Well there's the whole "don't piss off China" thing Disney is addicted to in film....

Asian was Tibetan Chuck complicated things....

Marv swings diversity one way sport.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:30 pm 
Sergeant Major

sven wrote:
knuckles_95 wrote:

Right and sales...uh well Chuck they skyrocketed in that era....no stud this is different....

If I want to pay someone to shit on me I can go to Reno, if I want my son taught Alien Values I can hire that dork from the History Channel....

If Thor has tits Lad can do what he is doing and go read Snorri.

Ummm the symbiote suit was introduced in 1984. Shortly after Marvel experienced an almost 2 decade long decline with a few hits scattered in there which caused them to have to sell off the movie rights to quite a few of their properties. If it was so profitable, why would they sell off the rights to Spider-man in 1985 for a pittance?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:33 pm 
Staff Sergeant

knuckles_95 wrote:
Ummm the symbiote suit was introduced in 1984. Shortly after Marvel experienced an almost 2 decade long decline with a few hits scattered in there which caused them to have to sell off the movie rights to quite a few of their properties. If it was so profitable, why would they sell off the rights to Spider-man in 1985 for a pittance?

If sales were so miniscule why did the number or titles go up from '84 to '94 Chuck?

Look I get it there is no blowback from making Mr Fantastic a castrated Gay Lesbian TG from Djbouti who still fears the bicycle bar....

that is why the VP says "oops maybe we went too SJW retard" in multiple articles the last two years Tiger in dumbfuck corporatese.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:43 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 17677
knuckles_95 wrote:
sven wrote:
Right Chuck....

I was a bit put off by that needless switch.

However, I think it's the same kind of mentality in which the Identity-Signalers turn on themselves. It was obvious that they wanted a "strong" major female character in the movie. Otherwise all the ass kickers made for a complete sausage party. Wouldn't bother me a bit, but it's evident that some people involved with the creation felt the need to tick further Diversity Boxes on the filmmaking forms.

They must've figured that since they already had Wong (playing Wong haha), that they could parcel out the Ancient One. *sigh* I would rather they just stick to the original shit and stop trying to be a bunch of PC douche nozzles.

Saw similar stuff in the recent past, with identity politics providing self conflict. After The Force Awakens came out, people were complaining about some Parker Brothers (?) Star Wars mass market board game. It had a Luke & Vader pair, from the old trilogy, and a Finn & Kylo pair from the new. But there were complaints about the main character, from the new, not being a woman. Or the other way around.. I don't recall which, Finn or Rey, was in the original print run. Ridiculous round & round diversity arguments make me roll my eyes.

Wouldn't mind if the attempts at diversity didn't come off so forced, or stinking of lifelong virtuous-identity brainwashing.

Noticed they cast Idris Elba as The Gunslinger in the upcoming The Dark Tower movie. He's a great actor and, thus far, I haven't got the impression his casting in a role that was originally a white dude was heavily influenced by SJW programming.

I'm sure the usual ID-Pols in the news & review media will do their usual self-stroking service. I just hope that political bullshit stays in that realm, and it turns out to be enjoyable to some extent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

sven wrote:
knuckles_95 wrote:

Well there's the whole "don't piss off China" thing Disney is addicted to in film....

Asian was Tibetan Chuck complicated things....

Marv swings diversity one way sport.

He wasn't Tibetans, he was from Kamar-Taj in the Himalayas. They could have easily made him Chinese considering the Himalayas are spread across 5 countries...

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next