maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: He Will Not Divide Us
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:58 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 12839
/pol/ put on their detective hats once again and find the identity of the masked antifa coward who lumped a Trump supporter in the head with a giant bike lock at Berkeley...

You cannot escape the wrath of Kek. ;)

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16098
Mac wrote:
/pol/ put on their detective hats once again and find the identity of the masked antifa coward who lumped a Trump supporter in the head with a giant bike lock at Berkeley...

You cannot escape the wrath of Kek. ;)

A) I wonder if law enforcement will follow up on this (provided the information was provided to the police)?

B) I wonder if the university that this "professor" works it will bother looking into it?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:40 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

chijohnaok wrote:
B) I wonder if the university that this "professor" works it will bother looking into it?

Latest intel is saying that he is a college instructor rather than a professor. I'm not really familiar with the US University system so I don't really know the difference.

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:02 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16098
Mac wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

Latest intel is saying that he is a college instructor rather than a professor. I'm not really familiar with the US University system so I don't really know the difference.

I am not the expert either, but it might mean that he is merely a "teaching assistant" ( a "TA) and not a Professor. IIRC, TA's are typically grad students who assist professors with their classes, conduct some study sessions and question hours, and might help with grading tests and term papers. If he is a TA then he would/should have no sort of tenure protections.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:31 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 11164
"Instructors" are often master's degree people who might have subject matter expertise, but don't have the credentials to be rated as a "professor" ... at least this was the case in my day ...

"Teaching Assistants" are graduate students who teach lower level classes (like the ubiquitous Math 101) or grade papers for professors in higher level classes. In my day, I think 50/51 math grad students were TAs as you got some compensation for this and helped pay the bills. I was a TA and taught "Math 101" and "business math" for several years. We had one year contracts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:51 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

chijohnaok wrote:
A) I wonder if law enforcement will follow up on this (provided the information was provided to the police)?

They have...

Quote:
Eric Clanton, a former teacher at Diablo Valley College, was arrested by Berkeley police on Wednesday on suspicion of three counts of assault with a deadly weapon identified as a U-lock bike lock, and one of those assaults is alleged to have caused a significant injury.

Police say the violence happened April 15 in Berkeley when pro-Trump supporters clashed with self-described anti-fascist, or “antifa,” activists determined to stop a rally where white supremacist views were expected to be expressed.

Soon after April 15, 28-year-old Clanton was “outed” online, on the website 4chan, as someone who used a bike lock to strike a man in the head. The assault was captured in a video clip (below) that drew widespread attention and anger after it was posted on YouTube.

Until Wednesday night, Berkeley investigators had declined to say whether they were looking into Clanton, despite the outcry online calling for his arrest. Wednesday, officers arrested him in Oakland at 12:15 p.m. He is being held at Berkeley Jail with a bail of $200,000, according to Alameda County sheriff’s office records online. Clanton, whose listed occupation is college professor, is scheduled for arraignment Friday. Police said they have identified three victims in the case. All three were struck in the head or neck with a bike lock, police said.

Clanton was a student assistant at San Francisco State University in 2013, according to the SF State paper, Golden Gate Xpress. He worked at the college as a graduate teaching assistant until 2015. Clanton began teaching at Diablo Valley College in Pleasant Hill in 2015, though he was not active this semester. According to Transparent California, Clanton taught philosophy for the Contra Costa Community College District in 2015 and 2016, and was paid as a lecturer last year by California State University.

“His work in political philosophy … centers on mass incarceration and the prison system,” his Diablo Valley faculty page entry read, though it has since been taken down. “He is currently exploring restorative justice from an anti-authoritarian perspective.” According to his brief DVC bio, he taught an intro philosophy course that included instruction in “ethics, critical thinking, and comparative philosophy.” Clanton listed “ethics and politics” as his main research interests.

Berkeley Police Capt. Ed Spiller told Berkeleyside on Wednesday that Clanton was not at home in San Leandro when officers served their search warrant Wednesday morning, so investigators with the BPD homicide detail, the team responsible for the case, had to track him down at a location in Oakland. Clanton was then taken into custody without incident.

Spiller confirmed Wednesday that Clanton had been under investigation for some time when he was arrested. Investigators “obtained information from various sources” before seeking a warrant for the arrest, he said.

Spiller said he did not know the degree of injuries suffered by the three victims, or whether anyone had to be taken to the hospital. He said one attack he watched on video, however, looked “pretty ugly.”

“As a normal person viewing the video, it’s kind of shocking in my opinion,” he said.

Spiller said BPD would likely present the case to the Alameda County district attorney’s office this week for possible charges.

A reference on Clanton’s arrest record to a firearms violation appears only due to a clerical error, according to authorities. It should be listed as a possible sentencing enhancement tied to the infliction of great bodily injury.

Police will continue to review videos and interview witnesses, and Spiller said there may be additional cases from the protests in Berkeley earlier this year.

“We’re taking every case seriously,” Spiller said. “We’re still asking people to come forward that have information.… There’s still work to be done.”

BPD has asked the public to share photographs and videos “of those who may have committed crimes during the event,” and to share information by phone at 510-981-5818.

https://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/05/24 ... -assaults/

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:00 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11948
Re faculty ranks.

Emeritus Professor = retired after years of outstanding service.
Professor = tenured, promoted to highest rank.
Associate Professor = tenured, lowest rank.
Assistant Professor = not tenured, but in a tenure-track appointment.
Instructor = Not tenured, not in a tenure-track appointment.
(Depending on the U, "Lecturer" and "Instructor" can be the same thing or can indicate whether or not the faculty has a PhD, but it's not consistent).

Generally, instructors can be anyone with an advanced degree. In many professions where PhDs are as common as marshmallows, Instructors have a PhD. Generally these are very low-pay positions and often lack health care or other benefits. Often they are term 1/2 year or 1-year appointments that are renewable at the option of the employer.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:37 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 9887
Postdoc = Cabin Boy
Grad Student = Galley Slave
Student = Revenue Source and Social Change Agent

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16556
:lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:04 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 14634
11Bravo wrote:
Postdoc = Cabin Boy
Grad Student = Galley Slave
Student = Revenue Source and Social Change Agent

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next