maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 75  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is trumpf up to ?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19774
jack t ripper wrote:
Happy hour..UN HQ

Watching through this clip I had forgotten that the bartender was a "roboticist" ("we don't serve their kind"). (Racist against robots). :lol:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:55 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 12552
So does that mean the movie is "racist" and no SJWs can watch it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:38 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4769
Here's an interesting little manufacturing trumpf story..

We've been trying to get a sewing operation restarted in this country for about a year. What used to be the heart of the sewing industry has simply disappeared.. the people who knew how to repair machines and operators are all gone. And we are not the only company trying to get it going. I've heard countless stories of companies that have entire factories with over 100 empty sewing machines.... Nobody will even respond to their ads at $16 / hr...

I'm not sure how we can restart manufacturing in this country and throw out all the illegal Hispanics at the same time ? ... Those were the only people willing to do it a decade or 2 ago..... and the supply of them has dried up as well....... I think somebody needs to rethink this making America Great Again plan...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:28 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13124
https://www.payscale.com/career-news/20 ... a-comeback

median salary of $22,650 . . . assuming 50 weeks of work and 40 hours per week, that would be $11.33/hour.

However, a couple of the comments:

Quote:
Terry
that pay is very low. A good seamstress can make more than that doing alterations

0 REPLY1 year 9 months ago
Gina
Gina
thats not even a living wage,

Most garments worn in the U.S./Canada or Europe are not made in the U.S. was my understanding.

The small town I grew up in in Missouri had an International Shoe, Co factory that employed around 1500 people in 1941 (in a town with a TOTAL population of 12,000 that is a huge source of employment). That and the hog processing / frozen foods plant were the two biggest employers up through the 1970s. Add in the state State School and Hospital (a non-penal permanent residence for invalid wards of the state) and everyone who was not employed in basic service for the town was covered. Add to this that, most of the property owners in the surrounding county were farmers and you've got a healthy local economy for one county in one state in the U.S.

Based on memory "The Shoe Factory" as I always knew of it closed down in the 1970s. Why? Well, it seems to me that a satisfactory explanation of that requires at least a cursory understanding of the history of the firm, but to truly explain it would probably require it as one case study in the "history of the decline of manufacturing jobs in the U.S." probably requires more context than just that.

The obvious "explanation" is "the jobs were off-shored."

I suppose one needs to ask "why were the jobs off-shored" as well as "would it even be economically feasible for private enterprise to repatriate some of that manufacturing?

Obviously, a centralized and authoritarian society can force (or try to force) whatever it wants in terms of the productive forces and relations of production (terms I invoke NOT to suggest that "Marxism is the answer" but simply because . . . I find the terminology to make sense and be a useful way to think about such things). But that rarely seems to work anyway . . . I suppose early forms of centralized economic control (Mercantilism) were relatively effective . . . but those were exceptionally different times, socially, ideologically, technologically and physically.

So then the question might become: what can a society that does not wish to repeat the mistakes of "communism" do to move economic forces in the way they want? Carrot -and- stick is what I tend to think of as the best general starting mode, which is not what I see politicians like Obama or to an even more extreme extent Sanders getting at.

It is my understanding that, overall Obama was very unfriendly to the stakeholders who tend to be bottlenecks in influencing economic change, i.e., the holders of very large quantities of capital. Getting into the specifics of that seems tedious, but perhaps it is warranted so as to be sure the generalization is fair . . . So Obama might have been considered to be a "virtually no carrot (and sometimes a poison carrot) and too much stick?"

Trump I think, by his very nature as a capitalist is likely to strike a much more "pragmatic" balance of carrot and stick.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:18 pm 
First Sergeant

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:10 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 17302
The US won't leave the UN. Because that hive of despotic Islamist villainy would just turn into an anti-american entity the instant we dropped our veto power. Just like it's anti-Israel. The economically hostile EU and China would be right there to assist.

That still doesn't mean we should continue to foot the bill for all those assholes in the UN. It's as useful as the League Of Nations, and sometimes even counter-productive or infiltrated with corrupt intentions by aforementioned despots & villains. Pretty much useless.. which is a good thing since it can't fuck up too much shit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:31 am 
Sergeant Major

NefariousKoel wrote:
The US won't leave the UN. Because that hive of despotic Islamist villainy would just turn into an anti-american entity the instant we dropped our veto power. Just like it's anti-Israel. The economically hostile EU and China would be right there to assist.

That still doesn't mean we should continue to foot the bill for all those assholes in the UN. It's as useful as the League Of Nations, and sometimes even counter-productive or infiltrated with corrupt intentions by aforementioned despots & villains. Pretty much useless.. which is a good thing since it can't fuck up too much shit.

It is a good point.

Moving it to Branson, Missouri still sounds like a great idea though!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:44 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 17302
Anthropoid wrote:
NefariousKoel wrote:

It is a good point.

Moving it to Branson, Missouri still sounds like a great idea though!

No. Don't soil our soil with the turds. I like the idea of someone like Finland hosting those assholes permanently. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:57 am 
Sergeant Major

Damn this is an anti-climactic exchange . . . Now I'm reaching the conclusion that just leaving it exactly where and how it is in New York City might be the best.

At least there, a close eye can be kept on them, and the capacity for intell is probably greater than anywhere else in the world.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:24 am 
First Sergeant

I've brought up this place before as new site for the eeeyyeeww iiinnnn .... right out in the middle of the gulfo de oilio ... nice round island ... good spot for the moozlums to party in their new party house they would build their ... yourohs can go and take their chances ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Abu_Nu%E2%80%99ayr

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 75  Next