maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Julian Assange: Not an ethnic Nationalist!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:33 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 1780
Quote:
Why would the FBI not have examined or conduct a forensic audit on the DNCservers?
The DNC are the ones who announced that the FBI had not requested access to them. Is the DNC lying?

First of all, I do not even know if the FBI has conducted a forensic audit on the DNC server or not. All I know is what some DNC staffers THINK it has happened so far. What I DO know is that the FBI informed the tech expert in the DNC party about the presence of at least one compromised computer in September 2015. So, it is obvious that the FBI has a way to get details about hacking independently without asking special access to servers. Now, details about FBI's ways and if they are legal or not is a different issue. I do not know the answer to this, and I do not know what special power of intruding privacy have been granted to the FBI by legislation (think of Patriot Act). But the answer of these questions is a different matter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
The US government claims that the Russians hacked DNC computers. One would think that they would want to be sure of their information when making such an accusation.
And they came to this conclusion without examining the Servers that they claim were hacked???
What kind of half assed investigation is that?

-----
Flashback:
Marcia Clark to Judge Ito: "Your Honor, we are certain beyond a reasonable doubt that O.J. Simpson committed these murders".
Judge Ito to Marcia Clark: "what did the investigation of the crime scene show?"
Marcia Clark: "The crime scene? Your Honor, we didn't conduct an examination of the crime scene".
Judge Ito: Facepalm

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:07 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Quote:
The US government claims that the Russians hacked DNC computers. One would think that they would want to be sure of their information when making such an accusation.
And they came to this conclusion without examining the Servers that they claim were hacked???

Are you aware of the programs that let you get access of your computer files remotely when you are not in home?
If you have this ability, do you need to actually have access to the physical computer to be sure that there is a malicious software somewhere in your computer? You can detect and analyze the malicious software without even touching the computer host The only reason a physical access to the computer would produce results is if there was a case of some type of physical tapping. I guess something similar to the case with telephone line tapping in the old days. But again, you ASSUME that there is no investigation of the server based on what some staffers think. I do not think that all DNC staffers would be aware of the details of an FBI investigation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:11 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

There are also flag signs about the reliability of the article's claims:

For example, at some point it says,

"No US government entity has run an independent forensic analysis on the system, one US intelligence official"

And the question is:

How can a single "intelligence official" know what ALL US intelligence government entities do?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:49 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Interesting stories developing...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... efd30a0969

Quote:
Senior officials in the Russian government celebrated Donald Trump’s victory over Hillary Clinton as a geopolitical win for Moscow, according to U.S. officials who said that American intelligence agencies intercepted communications in the aftermath of the election in which Russian officials congratulated themselves on the outcome.

The ebullient reaction among high-ranking Russian officials — including some who U.S. officials believe had knowledge of the country’s cyber campaign to interfere in the U.S. election — contributed to the U.S. intelligence community’s assessment that Moscow’s efforts were aimed at least in part at helping Trump win the White House.

and

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/politics/ ... l?adkey=bn

Quote:
Intel report says US identifies go-betweens who gave emails to WikiLeaks

I hope they choose the inauguration day for a full disclosure of the relevant information :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:25 pm 
Sergeant Major

pamak wrote:
Quote:

Are you aware of the programs that let you get access of your computer files remotely when you are not in home?
If you have this ability, do you need to actually have access to the physical computer to be sure that there is a malicious software somewhere in your computer? You can detect and analyze the malicious software without even touching the computer host The only reason a physical access to the computer would produce results is if there was a case of some type of physical tapping. I guess something similar to the case with telephone line tapping in the old days. But again, you ASSUME that there is no investigation of the server based on what some staffers think. I do not think that all DNC staffers would be aware of the details of an FBI investigation.

Yes, I am aware that there are ways to gain remote access to computers, files, servers.

The article that I linked made no distinction between physical or remote access. It said "the bureau has still not requested access to the hacked servers" and " the FBI never requested access to the DNC’s computer servers".
I would presume that if the DNC were cooperating with the FBI in this investigation, the FBI would first request access, then the DNC would approve that access.

If the DNC were already concerned about their system being hacked by the Russians, it would be counterproductive (at least from an optics standpoint) for the FBI to say "Hey, we are going to examine your computer server and don't worry about granting us access to it because we will just hack our way into it".

And to this point your raised:
Quote:
But again, you ASSUME that there is no investigation of the server based on what some staffers think. I do not think that all DNC staffers would be aware of the details of an FBI investigation.

I would remind you of this from the article that I posted:
Quote:
“The DNC had several meetings with representatives of the FBI’s Cyber Division and its Washington (DC) Field Office, the Department of Justice’s National Security Division, and U.S. Attorney’s Offices, and it responded to a variety of requests for cooperation, but the FBI never requested access to the DNC’s computer servers,” Eric Walker, the DNC’s deputy communications director, told BuzzFeed News in an email.

My bold emphasis above.
1) the person who made the statement for the DNC is not some ordinary staffer. He is the DNC Deputy Communications Director.
2) He is the DNC Deputy Communications Director. Presumably someone in this position is the sort that will confirm the facts when they make public statements on behalf of the DNC.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:36 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Quote:
The article that I linked made no distinction between physical or remote access. It said "the bureau has still not requested access to the hacked servers" and " the FBI never requested access to the DNC’s computer servers".
I would presume that if the DNC were cooperating with the FBI in this investigation, the FBI would first request access, then the DNC would approve that access.

If the DNC were already concerned about their system being hacked by the Russians, it would be counterproductive (at least from an optics standpoint) for the FBI to say "Hey, we are going to examine your computer server and don't worry about granting us access to it because we will just hack our way into it".

For the first paragraph, my answer was basically that I do not presume that the FBI would require permission for access (this is why I mentioned Patriot Act) or that even a request for physical access to the servers was necessary (this is why I mentioned the applications of remote access).

As for the second paragraph, I am not sure I understand it. I do not think that the DNC was first aware of Russian hacking. The article, indeed uses sentences that seem to convey such an impression (which is a flag signal about the credibility of the article). This is why I posted another article about a much earlier (2015) FBI warning to the DNC that at least one of their computers had been compromised. To me, it seems that the FBI was somehow monitoring the DNC network and therefore, I believe that it was actually the FBI which first warned the DNC about possible compromises. And I am pretty sure that in the beginning they did not mentioned specifically "Russian compromises." This came after a further investigation. I just does not seem convincing to have detection and identification of the intrusion at the same time. I think the detection came first, and the identification came much later.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:14 am 
Sergeant Major

pamak wrote:

For the first paragraph, my answer was basically that I do not presume that the FBI would require permission for access (this is why I mentioned Patriot Act) or that even a request for physical access to the servers was necessary (this is why I mentioned the applications of remote access).

Yes, I do believe that the FBI has expanded abilities under things such as the USA PATRIOT Act to monitor threats to US national security. That does not give them unlimited access to everything in the country though.
IF the FBI were investigating a potential threat to the United States, then I do believe they might be monitoring without requesting access from the party that they were monitoring. In this case though, unless this threat to US national security was coming from INSIDE the DNC, that would not not apply.

If the FBI was seeking to access the DNC servers as part of an investigation or as part of identifying a threat to the DNC, I would be pretty confident that the FBI would be legally required to ask their permission.
I think that this would be doubly so if we are talking about major political parties. I would think that the DNC (the GOP, or any other political party) would object to having a US government law enforcement agency poking around their computers without their permission. To do so without their permission would probably be a violation of multiple federal laws, not to mention one or more of the provisions under the Bill of Rights.

pamak wrote:

As for the second paragraph, I am not sure I understand it. I do not think that the DNC was first aware of Russian hacking. The article, indeed uses sentences that seem to convey such an impression (which is a flag signal about the credibility of the article). This is why I posted another article about a much earlier (2015) FBI warning to the DNC that at least one of their computers had been compromised. To me, it seems that the FBI was somehow monitoring the DNC network and therefore, I believe that it was actually the FBI which first warned the DNC about possible compromises. And I am pretty sure that in the beginning they did not mentioned specifically "Russian compromises." This came after a further investigation. I just does not seem convincing to have detection and identification of the intrusion at the same time. I think the detection came first, and the identification came much later.

I believe that the FBI could be monitoring the attempts of outside parties (Russian hackers or otherwise) to hack the DNC computer system, without actually having access to the contents of the DNC's computer servers. They could be monitoring the hacker's computers, OR they could be monitoring the pathways into the DNC servers, without actually having access into the DNC's servers.

To clarify what I said (meant) in my 2nd paragraph:
If the DNC's computer system had already been hacked by Russians, and the FBI was seeking to investigate the intrusion, from a perceptual standpoint, would it be best for the FBI to say A) we'd like to investigate this to see what happened, Can you grant us access to your servers, OR B) we are investigating your computers being hacked into by someone so in order to do so we are just going to hack into your servers to do our investigation.

I'm not even sure that the FBI could legally do B).
If your house was broken into as part of a robbery and the police showed up, they would still need to ask your permission to come into the house to conduct their investigation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:32 am 
Gunnery Sergeant

I think if something is considered a matter of state security, they will come to my house with or without my permission, and if I object they will send me to Guantanamo :lol:
I am also very suspicious of the intelligence agencies. I do not know for sure that they refrain themselves from conducting illegal activities. I know that at least at some point in time the Patriot Act was watered down to some extend, and am aware that in theory at least, there are secret courts which grant permission to security agencies to conduct operations that clearly violate citizens' privacy. But in any case, even these courts are secret and it seems the common people are pretty much clueless about many government actions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:53 am 
Sergeant Major

The reason why this alleged Russian connection to the Podesta emails was leaked by WH insiders after the first Tuesday in November is clearly damage control after the Trump victory.

Obama was briefed on this MONTHS before. Why did he wait until after the election to make a big deal. We heard a few comments by Clinton insiders before the election but the floodgates did not open until after Nov 8. I can understand why Trump is suspicious of the motives. The entire establishment of both parties and the MSM have been after him since his first primary victory.

Also, anyone who thinks the Stein recount isn't part of this smoking magic mushrooms. Who were the unnamed "computer experts" who claimed the voting machines were hacked in Wisconsin and Michigan? Half the Democrat party believes the Russians hacked voting machines in Wisconsin or Michigan.

Also, consider this...if the Russian intent was to sow dissention then Jill Stein, MSNBC, Bronco, McCain are (presumably unwittingly) working for the fucking KGB. If there is convincing evidence that the Russians intervened with the Podesta emails then just shut up about it and quietly send them a message which hurts.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next