maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
 Post subject: Re: Fake News
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:08 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
https://dailycaller.com/2019/05/26/ian- ... ump-quote/

Quote:
TIME MAGAZINE COLUMNIST’S TRUMP QUOTE WENT VIRAL — THEN HE ADMITTED HE MADE IT UP

Peter Hasson | Reporter
4:36 PM 05/26/2019 | POLITICS

Time Magazine columnist Ian Bremmer on Sunday tweeted a quote from President Donald Trump about North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un that quickly went viral — but it wasn’t real.

“President Trump in Tokyo: ‘Kim Jong Un is smarter and would make a better President than Sleepy Joe Biden.'” Bremmer wrote on Twitter.

While Trump did praise the North Korean dictator’s insult of former Vice President Joe Biden, the president never said what Bremmer quoted him saying — because Bremmer made it up. (RELATED: 9 Times The Media Pushed Misinformation About Brett Kavanaugh)

Bremmer left the false post up for several hours before conceding he made up the quote and deleting the tweet, which he defended as “plausible.”

Jerry Dunleavy
@JerryDunleavy
· 17h
If this alleged quote from Trump is accurate, it’s a huge propaganda win for the disgusting murderous tyrant that is King Jong Un.

But if this quote is fabricated, it’s a truly deceitful piece of Fake News.

And I’d like more than just Ian Bremmer’s say-so before I decide which.

Jerry Dunleavy
@JerryDunleavy
UPDATE: @ianbremmer has now admitted that he fabricated this viral Trump quote. And yet it is being shared by journalists and congressmen as if it is real. pic.twitter.com/QgNd9DnN8g

2:34 PM - May 26, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Jerry Dunleavy

@JerryDunleavy
Follow Follow @JerryDunleavy
More
UPDATE: @ianbremmer has now admitted that he fabricated this viral Trump quote. And yet it is being shared by journalists and congressmen as if it is real.

“This is objectively a completely ludicrous quote. And yet kinda plausible. Especially on twitter, where people automatically support whatever political position they have. That’s the point.” Bremmer wrote in a since-deleted correction.

Bremmer’s tweet went viral among Trump critics before he took it down.

“Don’t shrug your shoulders. Don’t get used to this insanity,” wrote CNN contributor Ana Navarro.

“The President of the United States praising a cruel dictator who violates human rights, threatens nuclear attacks, oppresses his people, and kills political opponents, IS NOT FREAKING NORMAL,” Navarro added.

Her tweet amplifying Bremmer’s fake quote was shared thousands of times across Twitter.

avarro was far from alone in falling for the made up quote.

Democratic Calif. Rep. Ted Lieu also spread Bremmer’s false tweet. Lieu later wrote that he “removed the retweet” after Bremmer admitted the quote was fake.

Left-wing activist group Media Matters‘ deputy director of rapid response, Andrew Lawrence, also amplified the invented quote.

Lawrence called it “equally incredible how easily manipulated the president is and also that democrats havent [sic] figured out how to take advantage of this yet,” pointing to Bremmer’s false tweet.

Other critics of the president similarly promoted the false information.

Follow Hasson on Twitter @PeterJHasson

Mr. Bremmer ruins his credibility by doing this.

What's even more amusing are all the asshats (Ana Navarro, Cong. Ted Lieu who tweeted this quote as real and then provided their commentary to it.

Furthermore, Mr. Bremmer is one of the "blue checkmark" people on Twitter. Twitter should remove his checkmark for creating fake news.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:52 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18812
New Totalitarian Tribalists are a superstitious lot. Empiricism and critical thinking are, for them, anathema. Bigotry, zealotry, and religious faith in their cause(s) are sacred. No individual has sufficient rights to be given a fair shake within their philosophy: one is either voicing agreement with them or one is a sub-human worthy of only death.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:37 am 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
Furthermore, Mr. Bremmer is one of the "blue checkmark" people on Twitter. Twitter should remove his checkmark for creating fake news.

Then he gets caught at it and he pretends it was some kind of Twatter experiment.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:42 am 
Sergeant Major

Plus you have the CNN/Telemundo buffalo lapping it up like a truck stop whore. She is a self-identified "Republican". Phhht.

And my Labrador thinks she is a snow leopard.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:52 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 10246
jack t ripper wrote:
Quote:

Then he gets caught at it and he pretends it was some kind of Twatter experiment.

Blue checkmark should not be a status symbol. It should just indicate "yes, this account belongs to the asshole you think it belongs to".

I followed plenty of people I didn't like on Twitter when I used it. It's important to track the actions & intentions of folks that want to do me harm.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

Ted Lieu is a proven idiot. I'm not surprised he fell for it. His life mission seems to be to get Trump.

Ted Lieu is Adam Schiff without the manly good looks. I think I'll go to his Twitter page and wish him a happy Memorial Day

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:39 am 
Sergeant Major

A video taking headlines from the same media sources, and doing comparisons of seemingly opposite positions on similar issues; also showing how the media sometimes manipulates things; and various other things:

One of my faves is CNN at the 2:16 minute mark---CNN was able to state headlines, one day apart from each other, one the exact opposite of the other.

And then at the 2:27 mark CNN manages to have 2 headlines, that appear the direct opposite of each other, at the same time! :lol:

At 2:40 CNN demonstrates how it manages to "evolve" its opinion on a subject in less than 2 months.

At 6:07 CNN is shows how a shooter seemingly received the Michael Jackson lightening treatment.

The screenshot at 11:20 is pretty funny.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:27 pm 
First Sergeant

Rachel Maddow is literally fake news...

Attachment:
1575399116279.png
1575399116279.png [ 282.05 KiB | Viewed 40 times ]

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/stat ... 1163031554

Quote:
If Rachel Maddow loses her $10 million defamation case brought by the owner of San Diego-based One America News Network, she can blame, in part, a UC Santa Barbara linguistics professor.

The professor, Stefan Thomas Gries, argues in a long analysis of Maddow’s on-air speech patterns that when she says “literally,” she means “in fact.”

Judge Cynthia Bashant in downtown San Diego federal court will hear both sides Dec. 16 in a hearing on an anti-SLAPP motion.

Lawyers for the MSNBC host said in that Oct. 21 motion that Bashant should throw out the suit by Herring Networks because Maddow was merely using hyperbole — and expressing her own opinion — when she said: OAN “really literally is paid Russian propaganda.”

Lawyers for Maddow’s employers, including Comcast, said OAN didn’t dispute that for more than four years Kristian Brunovich Rouz wrote about 1,300 articles for the Russian news agency Sputnik and that “Sputnik News is affiliated with the Russian government.”

Maddow lawyer Theodore J. “Ted” Boutrous Jr. argued that the liberal host was clearly offering up her “own unique expression” of her views to capture what she saw as the “ridiculous” nature of the undisputed facts.

“Her comment, therefore, is a quintessential statement ‘of rhetorical hyperbole, incapable of being proved true or false,’” he said.

The anti-SLAPP statute allows targets of certain lawsuits to ask a court to dismiss a complaint when it involves the rights of petition and free speech. (SLAPP stands for “strategic lawsuit against public participation.”)

But UCSB professor Gries, retained by Herring as an expert witness, says he reviewed the July 22, 2019, segment in question and concludes “it is very unlikely that an average or reasonable/ordinary viewer would consider the sentence in question to be a statement of opinion.”

West German-born Gries, who also speaks Russian and German, said in a legal filing Monday that, according to Google Scholar, “I am the second most widely-cited cognitive linguist and sixth most widely-cited living corpus linguist. The field of cognitive linguistics draws from both linguistics and psychology and studies how language interacts with cognition.”

In a response totaling 93 pages, Herring lawyer Amnon Siegel says Gries conducted a thorough analysis of Maddow’s segment, “identifying and analyzing linguistic markers (including words, tone, and cadence) used by Maddow.”

“Maddow did not use any typical opinion-markers when she stated that OAN ‘really literally is paid Russian propaganda,’” he said.

Siegel said Maddow is not the sort of person an audience would expect to misuse “literally.”

“She is a graduate of Stanford and Oxford Universities and a Rhodes Scholar,” he said. “In fact, on the show, Maddow regularly uses ‘literally’ in its primary meaning,” as she did in these examples:

“Meanwhile, today the Trump administration tried to push through one of the most controversial judicial nominees of Trump’s time in office. They literally nominated him to the job two days ago.”
“It’s literally an emergency, a formally declared emergency.”
The U.S. military [is] apparently diverting C17 cargo flights to stop at President Trump’s golf course in Scotland, literally to have U.S. airmen stay at his golf resort.”
And: “They are literally de-funding the day care center at Andrews Air Force Base.”

Thus Maddow’s use of “literally” is consistent, he said, and “her audience would not have understood her assertion that OAN ‘really literally is paid Russian propaganda’ as metaphorical hyperbole.”

In a declaration attached to the response, Herring Networks president Charles Herring says that prior to The Daily Beast article that Maddow cited in her segment, “Herring Networks did not know that Rouz also wrote articles for Sputnik News.”

“Neither Maddow nor anyone from Comcast Corporation, NBCUniversal Media, LLC, or MNSBC Cable LLC contacted OAN or Herring Networks prior to televising the segment,” Herring added in an apparent attempt to show Maddow didn’t care to check on the accuracy of her statement. (A “reckless disregard” for the truth is a factor in libel actions.)

Herring further declared: “Neither OAN nor Herring Networks has ever received money from Russia or the Russian government, and none of OAN’s content is influenced by Russians or the Russian government. In fact, Herring Networks is exclusively financed by the Herring Family and has never received outside investment.”

Siegel, one of four Miller Barondess attorneys for Herring, supplied nearly three dozen federal and state court citations and statutes to prove his case.

Among them: Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary definitions of “really” and “literally.”

https://timesofsandiego.com/business/20 ... tion-suit/

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

I "literally" hope she loses.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:51 pm 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
I "literally" hope she loses.

I "literally" agree with you.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29