It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More Bullshit From California
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:05 pm 
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth

Reputation points: 13767
California targets dairy cows to combat global warming

GALT, CALIF.
California is taking its fight against global warming to the farm.

The nation's leading agricultural state is now targeting greenhouse gases produced by dairy cows and other livestock.

Despite strong opposition from farmers, Gov. Jerry Brown signed legislation in September that for the first time regulates heat-trapping gases from livestock operations and landfills.

Cattle and other farm animals are major sources of methane, a greenhouse gas many times more potent than carbon dioxide as a heat-trapping gas. Methane is released when they belch, pass gas and make manure.

"If we can reduce emissions of methane, we can really help to slow global warming," said Ryan McCarthy, a science adviser for the California Air Resources Board, which is drawing up rules to implement the new law.

Livestock are responsible for 14.5 percent of human-induced greenhouse gas emissions, with beef and dairy production accounting for the bulk of it, according to a 2013 United Nations report.

Since the passage of its landmark global warming law in 2006, California has been reducing carbon emissions from cars, trucks, homes and factories, while boosting production of renewable energy.

In the nation's largest milk-producing state, the new law aims to reduce methane emissions from dairies and livestock operations to 40 percent below 2013 levels by 2030, McCarthy said. State officials are developing the regulations, which take effect in 2024.

"We expect that this package ... and everything we're doing on climate, does show an effective model forward for others," McCarthy said.

Dairy farmers say the new regulations will drive up costs when they're already struggling with five years of drought, low milk prices and rising labor costs. They're also concerned about a newly signed law that will boost overtime pay for farmworkers.

"It just makes it more challenging. We're continuing to lose dairies. Dairies are moving out of state to places where these costs don't exist," said Paul Sousa, director of environmental services for Western United Dairymen.

The dairy industry could be forced to move production to states and countries with fewer regulations, leading to higher emissions globally, Sousa said.

"We think it's very foolish for the state of California to be taking this position," said Rob Vandenheuvel, general manager for the Milk Producers Council. "A single state like California is not going to make a meaningful impact on the climate."

Regulators are looking for ways to reduce so-called enteric emissions — methane produced by bovine digestive systems. That could eventually require changes to what cattle eat.

But the biggest target is dairy manure, which accounts for about a quarter of the state's methane emissions.

State regulators want more farmers to reduce emissions with methane digesters, which capture methane from manure in large storage tanks and convert the gas into electricity.

The state has set aside $50 million to help dairies set up digesters, but farmers say that's not nearly enough to equip the state's roughly 1,500 dairies.

New Hope Dairy, which has 1,500 cows in Sacramento County, installed a $4 million methane digester in 2013, thanks to state grants and a partnership with California Biogas LLC, which operates the system to generate renewable power for the Sacramento Municipal Utility District.

Co-owner Arlin Van Groningen, a third-generation farmer, says he couldn't afford one if he had to buy and run it himself.

"The bottom line is it's going to negatively impact the economics of the California dairy industry," Van Groningen said of the new law. "In the dairy business, the margins are so slim that something like this will force us out of state."

State officials say they're committed to making sure the new regulations work for farmers and the environment.

"There's a real opportunity here to get very significant emissions reductions at fairly low cost, and actually in a way that can bring economic benefits to farmers," Ryan said.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/art ... rylink=cpy

Go ahead and secede already :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: More Bullshit From California
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:20 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 2894
Good. Farmers will leave and go to a state that has their shit together. And bring jobs with them. This is the exact kind of progressive stupidity that was rejected by the rust belt on November 8.

Makes you feel safe, doesn't it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:28 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10165
Thing is ... a lot of the West is fairly arid ... Southern CA, especially, could be categorized as a "desert" ... so these "coastal/valley" strips ... that sit in coastal valleys between low mountain ranges ... and trap a lot of water in the air are like "oasis" in the desert ... and to feed the big CA ... those areas need to be farmed ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:50 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15557
California voters decided to remove all the CO2 from the atmosphere by themselves.

The Dems have Moonbeam Brown as Governator and a veto proof 2/3rd supermajority in both houses of the Legislature. The teachers union and the prison guards union literally OWN every Dem hack in Sacramento.

We are completely fooked. The only reason we aren't insolvent right now (even though we have a looming public employee pension nightmare) is because capital gains are taxed at a regular income rate and when Silicon Valley does well the state coffers swell. Of course, you can guess what happens when the market slumps.

Impossibly, Linda Rondstadt's boyfriend is the only braking force on infinite sending.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:07 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 13948
I guess taxing our food supply at the raw source is a good way to hit everyone w/ tax. Global warming shit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:25 am 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 7360
Yeehaw!!! This will mean more California dairies moving to West Texas/Eastern New Mexico and our seed sales will be increased even more producing silage to feed them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:53 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15259
More bullshit from California (different from the original post though):

Quote:
New California law allows jail time for using wrong gender pronoun, sponsor denies that would happen

California health care workers who “willfully and repeatedly” decline to use a senior transgender patient's “preferred name or pronouns” could face punishments ranging from a fine to jail time under a newly signed law.

[snip]

The law states that if provisions are violated, the violator could be punished by a fine “not to exceed one thousand dollars” or “by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed one year,” or both.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10 ... appen.html

meanwhile.....

Quote:
Knowingly exposing others to HIV is no longer a felony in California

California lawmakers have passed legislation to reduce the penalty for those who knowingly or intentionally expose others to HIV without their knowledge, rolling back a law that mostly affected sex workers.

The bill, SB 239, which was approved by the Democrat-controlled state legislature in September and signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown (D) on Friday, will lower the charges for these acts from a felony to a misdemeanor when the law goes into effect in 2018. The act of knowingly donating HIV-infected blood, also a felony now, will be decriminalized.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to- ... f8b931a615

Using an improper pronoun in California can now get you up to a year in jail, but intentionally exposing someone to an illness that could result in illness or even death is now a misdemeanor. :roll:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:04 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11537
The arid west is a foolish place for large scale cattle ranches anyhow.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15557
:roll:

I suppose I will have to take a continuing medical education class on "21st Century Pronouns: An Evolving Paradigm"

I've had two patients ask for referrals for gender switch-overs. One did not shock me but I just assumed he was "straight gay". The other one completely shocked me. I first thought he was bullshitting me as a gag but I found out later he was secretly dressing as a girl since he was 5.

Jeez

Profile E-mail