maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 163  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trump, Trump, Trump
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15595
chijohnaok wrote:
Quiz time for Nero:

Which famous politician said the following?:

Quote:
We want very much to have a strong Russia because a strong, confident, prosperous, stable Russia is, we think, in the interests of the world.

Whoopie Goldberg!? No, no that can't be right . . . Hillry Rodum Clintun!? :P Just totally guessing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:56 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1209
chijohnaok wrote:
Quiz time for Nero:

Quote:
We want very much to have a strong Russia because a strong, confident, prosperous, stable Russia is, we think, in the interests of the world.

She lacks thousand years of experience: ryssä on aina ryssä, vaikka voissa paistais.

:twisted:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:08 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Anthropoid wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:
Quiz time for Nero:

Whoopie Goldberg!? No, no that can't be right . . . Hillry Rodum Clintun!? :P Just totally guessing!

Yes, it was HRC..I believe back in 2010.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:55 pm 
Sergeant Major

Annex Mexico. Make them pay for it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

The media seems to be in an uproar:

Quote:
Striking at Critics, Trump Threatens Stripping Former Officials of Security Clearances

BY STEVE HOLLAND

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House on Monday threatened to strip six former U.S. intelligence and law enforcement officials, including Obama-era CIA director John Brennan, of their security clearances as President Donald Trump considers striking back at critics of his summit meeting last week with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said Trump's administration is also considering taking away the security clearances of former FBI Director James Comey, a vocal critic fired by Trump last year.

Former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, former National Security Agency Director Michael Hayden, former President Barack Obama's national security adviser Susan Rice and former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe could also lose their clearances, Sanders said.

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/ar ... -officials

Quote:
Trump Weighs Stripping Security Clearances From Officials Who Criticized Him

By Julian E. Barnes and Julie Hirschfeld Davis
July 23, 2018

WASHINGTON — President Trump threatened on Monday to strip the security clearances of former national security officials who have criticized his refusal to confront Russia over its election interference, a move that would apply the powers of the presidency to retaliate against some of his most outspoken detractors.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the White House press secretary, said Mr. Trump was considering revoking the clearances of John O. Brennan, the former C.I.A. director; James B. Comey, fired by Mr. Trump as F.B.I. director last year; and James R. Clapper Jr., the former director of national intelligence, among others.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/23/us/p ... ances.html

So...they want to remove the security clearance of FORMER employees of the federal governemt.

Should I be concerned that the company I previously worked for took my security badge away and no longer allows me access into their buildings or onto their computers?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:41 pm 
Sergeant Major

Well . . . it is my understanding that a "security clearance" is not so much the same thing as "cleared access to secure information."

A "security clearance," means that a person has been investigated and is "rated" trustworthy to be given access to secure information. It does not mean that the person HAS any access to secure information, whether cleared or not cleared.

Speaking from memory/reading between the lines here, so could be wrong, or at least 'not quite right,' but . . . I get the impression once someone HAS a given level of security clearance, it is not taken away as a result of their current employment status. I believe when such things are stripped, it is generally for some specific reasons which suggest that the person cannot be trusted. For example, being indicted for certain felonies would I suspect automatically breach one's security clearance.

I'm not sure why someone who was no longer working in the intelligence or law enforcement community would care whether they kept their former level of clearance or not.

Didn't read the article, but assuming it is an accurate portrayal of what Trump "threatened" it does strike me as a bit squirrely to make such threats.

ADDIT: a quick review of the "Security Clearance" wiki suggests that my thinking is correct

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_ ... es_revoked

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:52 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
Well . . . it is my understanding that a "security clearance" is not so much the same thing as "cleared access to secure information."

A "security clearance," means that a person has been investigated and is "rated" trustworthy to be given access to secure information. It does not mean that the person HAS any access to secure information, whether cleared or not cleared.

Speaking from memory/reading between the lines here, so could be wrong, or at least 'not quite right,' but . . . I get the impression once someone HAS a given level of security clearance, it is not taken away as a result of their current employment status. I believe when such things are stripped, it is generally for some specific reasons which suggest that the person cannot be trusted. For example, being indicted for certain felonies would I suspect automatically breach one's security clearance.

I'm not sure why someone who was no longer working in the intelligence or law enforcement community would care whether they kept their former level of clearance or not.

Didn't read the article, but assuming it is an accurate portrayal of what Trump "threatened" it does strike me as a bit squirrely to make such threats.

ADDIT: a quick review of the "Security Clearance" wiki suggests that my thinking is correct

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_ ... es_revoked

If they are no longer working a job that has a 'need to know' (security clearance) then why should they still have that security clearance?
Given the number of leaks inside and outside the government, shouldn't it be a good idea to remove those security clearances after that person leaves their job?

So Brennan does not work in the NSC anymore but still has his security clearance.
I suppose that would mean that people who still work in the NSC can share classified information with him.
But he is not working in the NSC so why should he still be trusted with such information?
The people that do work in the NSC are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with applicable laws, rules and policies.
While they are on the job/employed in that position, they are likely monitored to be certain they are not violating those laws/rules/policies.
But since Brennan is no longer employed by the NSC it is likely that they are no longer monitoring him (or they are doing so at a much lower level).

So again, why would he still need his security clearance?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

Well, like I said, "having a particular security clearance," has almost nothing to do with access to sensitive information. The former is a necessary though not sufficient condition of the latter. Meaning: one cannot just phone up the NSA say "Hey I got a Top Secret level clearance, what is the password for this months juiciest intelligence nuggets?"

I mean . . . one COULD do that, but they would just hang up on you!

It is a bit like saying: I'm going to revoke your degree . . . not exactly, but somewhat.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

I think the idea is they might be called upon for input on current issues or recollections about past events. All of those mentioned have demonstrated they do NOT have the interests of the country foremost, especially Rice, Crapper and "Red" Brennan.

Trump ought to rescind Obama's clearance too. You wonder about Hillary and Huma Abedin. I wouldn't trust those two with my bike lock combination.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:26 pm 
Sergeant Major

I'm not too worried one way or the other :)

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 163  Next