maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: What The Fuck Is Wrong With You Germany?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:05 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13981
It would be interesting to see how the Russian oligarchs of the day respond to a complete U.S. pullout of Europe/NATO, etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:20 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2702
EUBanana wrote:
The European Union seems to be short on western values.

Well, assuming you mean Anglospheric ones, you know, liberty and all that. Germany only really embraced that sort of thing at the point of a gun.

I´d argue that Germans were prevented earlier from embracing those values at the point of a gun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_re ... E2%80%9349

Quote:
„Das mach’ ich mit meines Gleichen ab; Jedoch zum Abschied die Wahrheit: Gegen Demokraten helfen nur Soldaten.“

"I´ll only deal with my equals. As a farewell, the truth: The only cure against democrats is soldiers."
The King of Prussia, Frederick William IV, to his envoy in London.

It not like there´s something in the water hereabouts that makes right arms twitchy and creates a longing for authoritarian rule.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:49 am 
Sergeant Major

Scharfschütze wrote:
EUBanana wrote:
The European Union seems to be short on western values.

Well, assuming you mean Anglospheric ones, you know, liberty and all that. Germany only really embraced that sort of thing at the point of a gun.

I´d argue that Germans were prevented earlier from embracing those values at the point of a gun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_re ... E2%80%9349

Quote:
„Das mach’ ich mit meines Gleichen ab; Jedoch zum Abschied die Wahrheit: Gegen Demokraten helfen nur Soldaten.“

"I´ll only deal with my equals. As a farewell, the truth: The only cure against democrats is soldiers."
The King of Prussia, Frederick William IV, to his envoy in London.

It not like there´s something in the water hereabouts that makes right arms twitchy and creates a longing for authoritarian rule.

It is a good point! I have become VERY interested in that era and what a tremendous difference it would have made had those 1848 revolutions not been squelched by the monarchists! In fact, I'm concocting a bit of an alternate historical universe in the back of my head with a Bohemia-based "alternate Germany" as the core.

BTW, would "Deutsche Freie Volksrepublik" sound ridiculous?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:09 pm 
Sergeant

Anthropoid wrote:
It is a good point! I have become VERY interested in that era and what a tremendous difference it would have made had those 1848 revolutions not been squelched by the monarchists! In fact, I'm concocting a bit of an alternate historical universe in the back of my head with a Bohemia-based "alternate Germany" as the core.

Freie Deutsche Volksrepublik would work as well. Do note that "Volksrepublik" is the German term for "people´s republic", Eastern-bloc style.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:19 pm 
Sergeant Major

Scharfschütze wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:

Freie Deutsche Volksrepublik would work as well. Do note that "Volksrepublik" is the German term for "people´s republic", Eastern-bloc style.

Right, but . . . If Stalin, Lenin, Trotsky and the rest were all rounded up and shot in 1916 and Tsar Nicky never abdicated then "Volksrepublik" would not have any inherent "commie" connotations, eh!? :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:11 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Anthropoid wrote:
Scharfschütze wrote:

Right, but . . . If Stalin, Lenin, Trotsky and the rest were all rounded up and shot in 1916 and Tsar Nicky never abdicated then "Volksrepublik" would not have any inherent "commie" connotations, eh!? :mrgreen:

In an alternate history world you might have accomplished the same thing by placing your thumb on the 'genius(es)' within the Kaiser's government who thought that it would be a good idea to place Lenin in a sealed train car and send him from Switzerland to Russia. ;-)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:41 pm 
Sergeant

Anthropoid wrote:

That would be quite a blow to world revolution ;)
So Imperial Russia is still around in your alt-hist?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:40 pm 
Sergeant Major

Scharfschütze wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:

That would be quite a blow to world revolution ;)
So Imperial Russia is still around in your alt-hist?

That's the plan! :P

I should shut up though, nothing is far enough along yet to talk about details.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:33 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4670
EUBanana wrote:
Germany only really...

I'd pick Germany of today over Russia and/or China, easy. From a Swedish perspective Germany is a vital nation. I'm not super-keen on even deeper EU-ties but with Britain out of the picture my guess is that we will be heading down that road pretty soon, and I'm sure Sweden will do its outmost to be the best student in the EU class when applyaing new EU rules regardless of much damage they will do.

Germany taking the lead in Europe? I don't see the 4th Reich coming - better the Germans than the French... :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13177
Quote:
... better the Germans than the French ..
Better the Fourth Reich than the Sixth Republic !!?? :D

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next