maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What The Fuck Is Wrong With You Germany?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:05 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 11016
Location: inside your worst nightmare
Reputation points: 13981
It would be interesting to see how the Russian oligarchs of the day respond to a complete U.S. pullout of Europe/NATO, etc.

_________________
Anthro's NSFW Thread


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: What The Fuck Is Wrong With You Germany?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:20 am 
Offline
Sergeant

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:27 pm
Posts: 1159
Reputation points: 2702
EUBanana wrote:
The European Union seems to be short on western values.

Well, assuming you mean Anglospheric ones, you know, liberty and all that. Germany only really embraced that sort of thing at the point of a gun.


I´d argue that Germans were prevented earlier from embracing those values at the point of a gun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_re ... E2%80%9349

Quote:
„Das mach’ ich mit meines Gleichen ab; Jedoch zum Abschied die Wahrheit: Gegen Demokraten helfen nur Soldaten.“


"I´ll only deal with my equals. As a farewell, the truth: The only cure against democrats is soldiers."
The King of Prussia, Frederick William IV, to his envoy in London.

It not like there´s something in the water hereabouts that makes right arms twitchy and creates a longing for authoritarian rule.

_________________
- Inhalt beweisgesichert im Auftrag der Bundesprüfstelle für abweichende Meinungen (BuPrüaM)


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: What The Fuck Is Wrong With You Germany?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:49 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 11016
Location: inside your worst nightmare
Reputation points: 13981
Scharfschütze wrote:
EUBanana wrote:
The European Union seems to be short on western values.

Well, assuming you mean Anglospheric ones, you know, liberty and all that. Germany only really embraced that sort of thing at the point of a gun.


I´d argue that Germans were prevented earlier from embracing those values at the point of a gun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_re ... E2%80%9349

Quote:
„Das mach’ ich mit meines Gleichen ab; Jedoch zum Abschied die Wahrheit: Gegen Demokraten helfen nur Soldaten.“


"I´ll only deal with my equals. As a farewell, the truth: The only cure against democrats is soldiers."
The King of Prussia, Frederick William IV, to his envoy in London.

It not like there´s something in the water hereabouts that makes right arms twitchy and creates a longing for authoritarian rule.


It is a good point! I have become VERY interested in that era and what a tremendous difference it would have made had those 1848 revolutions not been squelched by the monarchists! In fact, I'm concocting a bit of an alternate historical universe in the back of my head with a Bohemia-based "alternate Germany" as the core.

BTW, would "Deutsche Freie Volksrepublik" sound ridiculous?

_________________
Anthro's NSFW Thread


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: What The Fuck Is Wrong With You Germany?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:09 pm 
Offline
Sergeant

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:27 pm
Posts: 1159
Reputation points: 2702
Anthropoid wrote:
It is a good point! I have become VERY interested in that era and what a tremendous difference it would have made had those 1848 revolutions not been squelched by the monarchists! In fact, I'm concocting a bit of an alternate historical universe in the back of my head with a Bohemia-based "alternate Germany" as the core.

BTW, would "Deutsche Freie Volksrepublik" sound ridiculous?


Freie Deutsche Volksrepublik would work as well. Do note that "Volksrepublik" is the German term for "people´s republic", Eastern-bloc style.

_________________
- Inhalt beweisgesichert im Auftrag der Bundesprüfstelle für abweichende Meinungen (BuPrüaM)


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: What The Fuck Is Wrong With You Germany?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:19 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 11016
Location: inside your worst nightmare
Reputation points: 13981
Scharfschütze wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
It is a good point! I have become VERY interested in that era and what a tremendous difference it would have made had those 1848 revolutions not been squelched by the monarchists! In fact, I'm concocting a bit of an alternate historical universe in the back of my head with a Bohemia-based "alternate Germany" as the core.

BTW, would "Deutsche Freie Volksrepublik" sound ridiculous?


Freie Deutsche Volksrepublik would work as well. Do note that "Volksrepublik" is the German term for "people´s republic", Eastern-bloc style.


Right, but . . . If Stalin, Lenin, Trotsky and the rest were all rounded up and shot in 1916 and Tsar Nicky never abdicated then "Volksrepublik" would not have any inherent "commie" connotations, eh!? :mrgreen:

_________________
Anthro's NSFW Thread


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: What The Fuck Is Wrong With You Germany?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:11 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 29454
Location: West coast of the east coast
Reputation points: 20000
Anthropoid wrote:
Scharfschütze wrote:


Freie Deutsche Volksrepublik would work as well. Do note that "Volksrepublik" is the German term for "people´s republic", Eastern-bloc style.


Right, but . . . If Stalin, Lenin, Trotsky and the rest were all rounded up and shot in 1916 and Tsar Nicky never abdicated then "Volksrepublik" would not have any inherent "commie" connotations, eh!? :mrgreen:


In an alternate history world you might have accomplished the same thing by placing your thumb on the 'genius(es)' within the Kaiser's government who thought that it would be a good idea to place Lenin in a sealed train car and send him from Switzerland to Russia. ;-)

_________________
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: What The Fuck Is Wrong With You Germany?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:41 pm 
Offline
Sergeant

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:27 pm
Posts: 1159
Reputation points: 2702
Anthropoid wrote:
Right, but . . . If Stalin, Lenin, Trotsky and the rest were all rounded up and shot in 1916 and Tsar Nicky never abdicated then "Volksrepublik" would not have any inherent "commie" connotations, eh!? :mrgreen:


That would be quite a blow to world revolution ;)
So Imperial Russia is still around in your alt-hist?

_________________
- Inhalt beweisgesichert im Auftrag der Bundesprüfstelle für abweichende Meinungen (BuPrüaM)


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: What The Fuck Is Wrong With You Germany?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:40 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 11016
Location: inside your worst nightmare
Reputation points: 13981
Scharfschütze wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
Right, but . . . If Stalin, Lenin, Trotsky and the rest were all rounded up and shot in 1916 and Tsar Nicky never abdicated then "Volksrepublik" would not have any inherent "commie" connotations, eh!? :mrgreen:


That would be quite a blow to world revolution ;)
So Imperial Russia is still around in your alt-hist?


That's the plan! :P

I should shut up though, nothing is far enough along yet to talk about details.

_________________
Anthro's NSFW Thread


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: What The Fuck Is Wrong With You Germany?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:33 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:41 pm
Posts: 3203
Reputation points: 4670
EUBanana wrote:
Germany only really...


I'd pick Germany of today over Russia and/or China, easy. From a Swedish perspective Germany is a vital nation. I'm not super-keen on even deeper EU-ties but with Britain out of the picture my guess is that we will be heading down that road pretty soon, and I'm sure Sweden will do its outmost to be the best student in the EU class when applyaing new EU rules regardless of much damage they will do.

Germany taking the lead in Europe? I don't see the 4th Reich coming - better the Germans than the French... :D


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: What The Fuck Is Wrong With You Germany?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:35 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 10045
Location: Eskridge, KS
Reputation points: 13177
Quote:
... better the Germans than the French ..
Better the Fourth Reich than the Sixth Republic !!?? :D

_________________
Go trumpf Go !!!
(will the resident return to being the President?)
(will the rainbow shack return to being the White House?)


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group