maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: China, South China Sea, Vietnam
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13427
Vietnamese people protest Chinese economic zone ....

Quote:
HANOI (Reuters) - Police in Vietnam detained more than a dozen protesters in the capital Hanoi on Sunday and halted demonstrations in other cities against plans for new special economic zones that the protesters fear will be dominated by Chinese investors.

Protesters hold a banner which reads "No Leasing Land to China even for Anytime" during a demonstration against a draft law on the Special Economic Zone in Hanoi, Vietnam June 10, 2018. REUTERS/Staff
Vietnam said in May last year it planned to open three special economic zones that offer investors greater incentives and fewer restrictions than available in the country at present.

The draft law does not identify potential foreign investors that can lease land for up to 99 years in the zones, but the protesters fear it will be dominated by neighboring China.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-vietnam-protests/vietnam-police-halt-protests-against-new-economic-zones-idUSKCN1J605X

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Oh...man...this sounds like a BAAAD idea

Quote:
The draft law does not identify potential foreign investors that can lease land for up to 99 years in the zones, but the protesters fear it will be dominated by neighboring China.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:26 pm 
Sergeant Major

jwilkerson wrote:
Vietnamese people protest Chinese economic zone ....

Quote:
HANOI (Reuters) - Police in Vietnam detained more than a dozen protesters in the capital Hanoi on Sunday and halted demonstrations in other cities against plans for new special economic zones that the protesters fear will be dominated by Chinese investors.

Protesters hold a banner which reads "No Leasing Land to China even for Anytime" during a demonstration against a draft law on the Special Economic Zone in Hanoi, Vietnam June 10, 2018. REUTERS/Staff
Vietnam said in May last year it planned to open three special economic zones that offer investors greater incentives and fewer restrictions than available in the country at present.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-vietnam-protests/vietnam-police-halt-protests-against-new-economic-zones-idUSKCN1J605X

That sounds a bit odd.

I seem to recall that the modern Chinese were less than pleased about the UK's 99 year lease in Hong Kong and were pretty adamant about them leaving once that lease term ran out.
(Yes, I release that only parts of Hong Kong had a 99 year lease to the UK while other parts were supposed to have been given to Britain indefinitely)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

Well, I'm impressed. I don't think "Protesting" is allowed in Vietnam. So the fact that protests happened, show that the Vietnamese people are willing to tell the gubermint to "shove it' ... over Chinese incursions.

My guess is the "Kangs" stand to benefit from letting the Chinks move in ... so sure they want to modify the law ... but per the article, the actions of the people may have had a temporizing affect.

I'm not sure anyone on Earth hates the Chinks more than the Vietnamese people ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quite ironic.....Commie revolutionary movement achieves its goals at a staggering cost and here they are shunning their Commie brethren and allying themselves with purest market economy this side of Singapore.

Seems like Chairman Minh miscalculted

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:53 pm 
Sergeant Major

The Vietnamese have been fighting for independence from China for 2,000 years. That war will not end until Vietnam breaks off from the main land and floats away into the er Sea. And even then it might not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:02 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14595
Imperialism. It ain't just for whitey any more.

jack t ripper wrote:
Quite ironic.....Commie revolutionary movement achieves its goals at a staggering cost and here they are shunning their Commie brethren and allying themselves with purest market economy this side of Singapore.

Seems like Chairman Minh miscalculted

"going Commie" was always just a ploy to gain national independence. The fact they've re-aligned with the west so quickly demonstrates that. Not to say that Western concerns about about the spread of Commie-nism in the area weren't valid, but the actual interest in "Communism" in any country that transitioned to it has always been about zero percent. It arose in Russia as a ploy by some clever gangsters to unify the disgruntled peasants against the Monarchy; somehow it managed to not kill itself with self-inflicted wounds and branded itself as a "liberating philosophy," a real opiate for the masses (or at least a clever cover story that the bosses could deploy to validate their own brutal autocracy). In post WWI China it was strictly a source of interest in that it gave this warlord or that warlord an edge over some other. Chiang Kai Shek himself was trained by the Russians and was a Russian "ally" right up until he decided they were getting too bossy and planned to kill all the Russians in the city over night. Mao only went with it cause it was an option for him and his cronies to stay in business and avoid being shot in the head. Once it had taken hold in China after the war, it made sense for people in the region to line up with the "winners" and tell them what they needed to hear to provide the support the small fry nations and factions needed.

Last edited by Anthropoid on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
Imperialism. It ain't just for whitey any more.

+1

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:19 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
chijohnaok wrote:

That sounds a bit odd.

I seem to recall that the modern Chinese were less than pleased about the UK's 99 year lease in Hong Kong and were pretty adamant about them leaving once that lease term ran out.
(Yes, I release that only parts of Hong Kong had a 99 year lease to the UK while other parts were supposed to have been given to Britain indefinitely)

Hong Kong wasn't the only place leased by European powers back in the day.

Qingdao/Tsing Tao (German) and Macau (Portugal) were some notable examples.

The Chinese certainly came to despite the deals.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:34 pm 
Sergeant Major

NefariousKoel wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

That sounds a bit odd.

Hong Kong wasn't the only place leased by European powers back in the day.

Qingdao/Tsing Tao (German) and Macau (Portugal) were some notable examples.

The Chinese certainly came to despite the deals.

Yeah.

Germany lost her holdings after WW 1.

Portugal lost Macau at about the same time as UK lost Hong Kong.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next