maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: China, South China Sea, Vietnam
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000

Sure! I'm sure the artificial reefs where the whole island is a concrete landing strip will be a big hit with tourists.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:24 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 11728
Quote:
US-China diplomacy: Spy agency tweet adds to protocol spat

A sarcastic tweet aimed at China and posted on the US Defense Intelligence Agency's Twitter account has fuelled a row over protocol at the G20 summit.
The tweet, which was quickly deleted, read: "Classy as always China".
When President Barack Obama arrived in Hangzhou there was no red carpet and he had to leave by a different plane exit.
There was also a row on the tarmac when a Chinese official shouted "This is our country!" as reporters and US officials tried to bypass a cordon.
President Obama called on reporters "not to over-crank the significance".
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-37269719

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:29 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13177
Our new friend in South China Sea (er, our ONLY friend in the SCS) ...

Quote:
HANOI — The United States is finalizing plans to dock an aircraft carrier in the south of Vietnam this March, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Thursday, part of growing military cooperation between the nations and a 1,092-foot-long signal to China to rethink its aggressive expansion.

The USS Carl Vinson will make a port call in Danang, according to the proposal, the first carrier port call after smaller U.S.-flagged ships have moored here.

“We recognize that relationships never stay the same. They either get stronger or they get weaker, and America wants a stronger relationship with a stronger Vietnam,” Mattis told his counterpart Ngo Xuan Lich.

Mattis’s trip to Southeast Asia included a two-day visit in Indonesia, part of a larger Pentagon strategy to foster military relationships to blunt influence of big state powers such as Russia and China.

The United States believes it may have found a key ally in Vietnam. The nation is increasingly emboldened to challenge Chinese territorial claims in the South China Sea, a strategic region flush with resources.

[Secretary Mattis seeks ties with once-brutal Indonesia special forces unit, with an eye on China]

China has mostly claimed the sea as its own and has studded artificial islands with radar arrays and military outposts, edging out Vietnam and other nations dependent on waters for fishing and commerce.

Vietnam-U.S. defense relations are still taking shape. Mattis said his talks with Vietnamese officials spurred creation of channels to develop military education and U.N. peacekeeping training but did not involve definite plans to sell or provide specific military equipment.

The United States sold a Coast Guard cutter to Vietnam last year, which officials said became the largest ship in its fleet.

Vietnamese soldiers march ahead of the arrival of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis at the Ministry of National Defense in Hanoi. (Alex Horton/The Washington Post)
That recent activity has relieved officials in Vietnam who believe the United States was too focused on brushfire insurgencies in the Middle East and Africa while China consolidated territory unchecked, said Zack Cooper, an Asia security analyst at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington think tank.

“They want to make sure the U.S. is actively engaged with the South China Sea,” Cooper said.

Mattis also met with Communist Party General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong and thanked Vietnam for supporting U.N. sanctions against North Korea, and he recognized U.S. efforts to remedy the effects of toxic defoliants such as Agent Orange left behind at a Danang air base.

He also met with President Tran Dai Quang. In each meeting, a strategically placed bust of wartime Communist leader Ho Chi Minh loomed over the talks.

Mattis will conclude his trip Friday, when he will meet his South Korean counterpart in Hawaii to discuss strategic issues in the region.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2018/01/25/mattis-says-a-u-s-aircraft-carrier-is-likely-to-visit-vietnam-amid-chinese-tension/?utm_term=.a822f57929f1

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:47 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13981
Still say those reefs should be used as "target practice" . . . oh, whoops! You had buildings and shit there!? My bad!! I figured they were just filled with empty talk.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:11 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4670
I welcome this new US - Vietnamese military co-operation because of the hilarious syntax errors it will cause in the brains of the left wing 1968 revolutionaries that are still alive...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:23 am 
Sergeant Major

wulfir wrote:
I welcome this new US - Vietnamese military co-operation because of the hilarious syntax errors it will cause in the brains of the left wing 1968 revolutionaries that are still alive...

Hanoi Jane will be thoroughly confused. :lol:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

No small amount of irony that Vietnam is now a hyper-entrepreneurial, capitalist system and the children of the "boat people" are now running for Congress and graduating first in class at West Point.

Vietnam is another place where half the population would immigrate to the US if you let them....and that would be a much better choice than Somalis, Pakistanis or Senegalese.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:22 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13177
Quote:
... half the population would immigrate to the US if you let them ...

Might be 90% ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:30 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
My sis did a DNA test recently.

Some guy in Vietnam popped up as fairly closely related.

At first I thought, "dad always said we might not be his only children". :lol: Thought I might have an older half-brother in Vietnam. :o Although it indicated the guy was likely a 2nd or 3rd cousin, so not as close as first suspected.

The guy sent her a message asking if we had any idea who his father was. Since we never really knew our distant cousins & extended family, we couldn't help the poor guy. Didn't know anyone else in the immediate fam who served in-country.

He said that his hair was unusually brown-ish as a kid, so his mother had to die his hair black after the Commies first took over SVN, else they would've offed them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:47 pm 
Sergeant Major

NefariousKoel wrote:
My sis did a DNA test recently.

Some guy in Vietnam popped up as fairly closely related.

At first I thought, "dad always said we might not be his only children". :lol: Thought I might have an older half-brother in Vietnam. :o Although it indicated the guy was likely a 2nd or 3rd cousin, so not as close as first suspected.

The guy sent her a message asking if we had any idea who his father was. Since we never really knew our distant cousins & extended family, we couldn't help the poor guy. Didn't know anyone else in the immediate fam who served in-country.

He said that his hair was unusually brown-ish as a kid, so his mother had to die his hair black after the Commies first took over SVN, else they would've offed them.

Da Nang! That is a Hell of a story. You need to make a documentary. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next